Roommate skipped, need to get out of lease.

This is a discussion on Roommate skipped, need to get out of lease. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by friesepferd 1) talk to your landlord. see if he can work with you for a short period of time until you can ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roommate skipped, need to get out of lease.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    1) talk to your landlord. see if he can work with you for a short period of time until you can get something worked out
    2) small claims court. thats what it is for. dont let ppl get away with that crap
    3) fine a smaller cheaper apartment so that this doesnt happen again. it may not be great, or exactly in the location that you like, but there are apartments in the $300-$500 range in your area
    Heh, my rent is $500 a month...

As far as small claims court goes...no lie, I can't even afford that, the rental company I rent through is heartless - they do not care where the money comes from and the lease is written in a way that we are both responsible for each others actions or inactions.

Another place to stay I have lined up, and even if for some reason that doesn't work out I can move back home, my parents live in town.

Family help: I'm going to talk to my father tomorrow, and see if I can pull money our of one of my trust funds. It seems like the only option at this point.

Another room mate...a couple of friends that I grew up with want to rent a house with me, and if that doesn't work out I can move back home.

With my current debt, job, and desperate need to fix my vehicle, I estimate it will take around $5000 to set everything straight. Hopefully my fathers accountant can somehow let me pull that much out of one of my trust funds without any fees for doing so early.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

2. Remove Ads

Roommates do sux....Hope everything works out for you.

I had the same thing happen about 25 years ago with a guy I considered a very good friend, I was able to pay the last 5 months of the lease, but the friendship did not survive.....

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Can you take on a second job to bring in more income?

$200 a week is a poverty level income below minimum wage.

I hate to say it but...Illegal Mexicans can make more than that.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Can you take on a second job to bring in more income?

$200 a week is a poverty level income below minimum wage.

I hate to say it but...Illegal Mexicans can make more than that.
    I know... I have been putting in applications pretty much everywhere I go, hoping to hear something back, but no luck so far.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

What do they pay for a pint of blood these days?

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    What do they pay for a pint of blood these days?
    You mean plasma? Bout $35, and you can go twice a week. I'd rather not, but if it comes to it, it comes to it.
    Semper Paratus

I know you are a stand up guy so this advice will probably unsettle you but I'll be blunt:

You can't afford that place without your roommate. I would talk to the property manager and tell him/her exactly what happened and that while you are an upstanding man that is true to his word and upholds his commitments, you won't be able to pay for the place by yourself. You really have no other option*. You will have to break the lease. I wouldn't go into debt or strain yourself (more than you already are) to keep this place.

If you talked it out with the PM they might be able to work a deal with you. Allowing you to pay them your half for 3 months until you get a new roommate or a better job (or a new place). Just make sure they know its either they work with you and charge you $500/month or you have to break the lease and they get $0/month plus all that hassle.

*Assuming you can't increase your income by a sizeable amount in a very short period of time.

Your roommate hosed you. :/

Good luck!

The problem lies in the fact that the company that rents these apartments owns half the town and a merciless. If I said I had to break lease, they would say "Fine, pay the $1000 buyout fee." and if I broke lease anyways without paying the buyout fee, I'd be taken to court and made to pay the remainder of what I owe on my lease term. If I could somehow win the case I'd try, but these guys have it locked down, and a property lawyer told me that the chance of winning a case against them is nearly zero.

As far as increasing my income, I actually talked to the owner of one of the two gun stores I frequent, and he told me he could hire me to help him build his brand new range, and once it is complete, be a range officer, for which he would pay for my training. The catch is I can only have this job if the city OK's his building the range.
    Semper Paratus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links