Deadliest Warrior: Redneck or Swamp Hillbilly?

This is a discussion on Deadliest Warrior: Redneck or Swamp Hillbilly? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, my boys and I were watching Deadliest Warrior a couple of weeks ago and they were going through a bunch of real quick clips ...

View Poll Results: Victory: Redneck or Swamp Hillbilly?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Redneck

45 56.25%
  • Swamp Hillbilly

35 43.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadliest Warrior: Redneck or Swamp Hillbilly?

Deadliest Warrior: Redneck or Swamp Hillbilly?

Ok, my boys and I were watching Deadliest Warrior a couple of weeks ago and they were going through a bunch of real quick clips from past shows. After each one, I would say, "Redneck wins, Redneck wins, Redneck wins" as they were showing different ancient warriors with swords etc. So, one of my boys piped up and said, "No, the Swamp Hillbilly, now THAT would be a good one." So, we started thinking of who would win that one and it would probably be pretty tight. Redneck vs. Swamp Hillbilly. The double-barreled shotgun and coon dogs run up against trained gators and punji sticks! One serious fight that would certainly make for a good Deadliest Warrior episode! Cast your vote!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

Being a Redneck, I vote for the Redneck.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Yes I agree, I am more redneck I guess but have you ever seen Southern Comfort? Man, a good show it would be. A good knock down, drag out show that would most likely be rated R.

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Hmmm... Isn't 'Swamp Hillbilly' a bit of contridiction in terms? I've always thought Hillbillys hail from the Applachian chain? Same concept, just different geographic and skill set. Hillbillys also tend to be very 'clan' oriented (meaning, mess with one and you mess with four generations of them).

However, I agree there is also a distinct difference between a Swamper (low-country hick) vs. a Redneck. I happen to come from a long line of low-country hicks and will have a natural pre-disposition to favor this version of bumpkin.

Rednecks often hail from the trailer park, and will be extremely familiar with explosives (particularly the propane type). However, this inherent familiarity with ordnance will be compromised by missing fingers, increasing chances of self-inflicted harm.

The low-country hick (or swamp hick) will be stealthy in nature and have excellent SA due to constant exposure to gators and snakes. Both sides are limited by questionable bloodlines, and both sides would have access to similar weapons. It's a close call, but I give the nod to my low-country ancestry.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Ok, my boys and I were watching Deadliest Warrior a couple of weeks ago and they were going through a bunch of real quick clips from past shows. After each one, I would say, "Redneck wins, Redneck wins, Redneck wins" as they were showing different ancient warriors with swords etc. So, one of my boys piped up and said, "No, the Swamp Hillbilly, now THAT would be a good one." So, we started thinking of who would win that one and it would probably be pretty tight. Redneck vs. Swamp Hillbilly. The double-barreled shotgun and coon dogs run up against trained gators and punji sticks! One serious fight that would certainly make for a good Deadliest Warrior episode! Cast your vote!

Most Rednecks I know pack AR's not double barrel shotties so I have to go with Redneck.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Hmmm... Isn't 'Swamp Hillbilly' a bit of contridiction in terms? I've always thought Hillbillys hail from the Applachian chain? Same concept, just different geographic and skill set. Hillbillys also tend to be very 'clan' oriented (meaning, mess with one and you mess with four generations of them).

However, I agree there is also a distinct difference between a Swamper (low-country hick) vs. a Redneck. I happen to come from a long line of low-country hicks and will have a natural pre-disposition to favor this version of bumpkin.

Rednecks often hail from the trailer park, and will be extremely familiar with explosives (particularly the propane type). However, this inherent familiarity with ordnance will be compromised by missing fingers, increasing chances of self-inflicted harm.

The low-country hick (or swamp hick) will be stealthy in nature and have excellent SA due to constant exposure to gators and snakes. Both sides are limited by questionable bloodlines, and both sides would have access to similar weapons. It's a close call, but I give the nod to my low-country ancestry.
    Very good points here! I simply quoted my son's title and so it be known, this IS just a fun/humor topic to ponder. And BTW, ROTFL @ "especially the propane type"!

I my self feel pretty attached to the term Redneck, but I grew up in the deep south and have had some experience with the swamp critters as well. I would say that it all has to do with the terf where the battle takes place. Kinda like the Navy Seals versus the Army Rangers. I will just say that the average person really doesn't want to tangle with either of the two. Both are totally self sufficient, and have had plenty of experience hunting 4 legged critters which would pretty easily translate to the 2 legged type.

Seeing as I typically identify with rednecks, I'm gonna put more faith in my fellow brethren.

kpw
    When I moved out to this little town, I knew it was full of rednecks. Feels like home to me!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I'm a hillbilly, not a "swamp hillbilly."... what the hell is a "swamp hillbilly" anyway?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Tarnation!
    I was borned and raised in TN on the big river and sired by a Mississippi Redneck and mothered by a Arkansas "Hillbilly".

Depending on who I was around at the time, I been called: redneck; hillbilly; river-rat and swamp-rat. My family's been fueding for more than a hundrid yars.

Heck-fire! I've ALWAYS been an outcast.

I voted "Redneck". The reason should be obvious.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    As a redneck I had to take up for my kind. Now, there is ONE type of person that worries the crap out of me. The Louisiana Coonass!!!!!!!!! You know, Boudreax, his neighbor Boudreax as far as I can tell, if you go back about 300 years one crazy Frenchman impregnated about 300 Indian women on Lake Ponchatrain.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Them swampies is real tricky. They gonna sneak up on ya in the middle of the night.
    As I have both in my family, Missouri reds and Louisiana french-swampies. I'ma half ta go with the low lands due to the red preoccupation with his couch.

VIP Member
    I second the notion that "swamp" and "hill" are two very different terrain features... :)

That said, the Coonasses get my vote for overall ornery-ness, and for having the most unintelligible accent this side of Boston.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links