Ashamed

This is a discussion on Ashamed within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm beginning to be ashamed to be an American. I'm a Vietnam era veteran. I work hard, I play hard, I try to enjoy life ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ashamed

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar

Ashamed

I'm beginning to be ashamed to be an American. I'm a Vietnam era veteran. I work hard, I play hard, I try to enjoy life and what do I get for it? I get cheated by the people who employ me. I just found out today that I don't get, as a security guard for an American company any paid holidays unless I work that day. No holidays off with pay. But yet the company I contract through who hires many illegals gives those illegals American holidays off with pay. I'm beginning to become very ashamed of my country. VIVA AMERICA
    Last edited by one eyed fatman; June 19th, 2006 at 10:32 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Sorry. Sounds pretty unfair! Don't be ashamed, though. It's Ok to be frustrated, PO'd, and unhappy. How do they explain this anomaly? Have you asked them to explain it? How do they rationalize it?

I hear ya'....
    I'll just say this. I am glad I don't have any children, and thank God I won't be alive in 60 years to see what this crappy world has to offer.
    Its bad enough now.....

...hires many illegals gives those illegals American holidays off with pay...
    If that's a supportable statement then I'd say you have a valid complaint and a reason to make it formal.

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed - put away the shame - still be proud. But for sure be ANGRY!!

Before my son got his present job wherein folks are a sorta ''family'' - even tho 200 employees - he worked for an outfit which IMO was truly despicable with what it gave.

In fact ''gave'' was hardly applicable - more like grudgingly ''allow'' and that was very little. He was and still is salaried but back then extra hours used not to count for squat - at least now if he puts in more he at least gets chances to take some time back now and again.

Some employers make me want to throw up - the way they treat true Americans and then, as you say - you see illegals getting all the perks. That ain't right for sure. I truly sympathize.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Surely you shouldn't be ashamed to be an American. America is made up of all types of people, the good and the bad.

If at all possible, you find ways to associate with the good people and avoid the bad ones. Sometimes, sounds like in your case, you can't do that. Hold yourself above them and their abuse of the system. Watch for a chance to leave and find an assocation with better people, ones who deserve your support and employment.

Good luck, keep your head up, and don't think of "them" as AMERICA.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I am sure there are better employers that would like to have your skills and background, just apply. On your way out with the current employer, be sure to expressly tell them why you are leaving. If they treat you this way now, how do you think they will treat you when you become injured or worse on the job ?? food for thought.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

Don't be

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman
    I'm beginning to be ashamed to be an American. I'm a Vietnam era veteran. I work hard, I play hard, I try to enjoy life and what do I get for it? I get cheated by the people who employ me. I just found out today that I don't get, as a security guard for an American company any paid holidays unless I work that day. No holidays off with pay. But yet the company I contract through who hires many illegals gives those illegals American holidays off with pay. I'm beginning to become very ashamed of my country. VIVA AMERICA
    You're not the one who should be ashamed.

Sometimes it's tough.
    I'm out of work and looking, a few prospects are waiting for clearances.

The reason I'm out of work? I talked with my employer about things that I and other employees felt were wrong. I got the run a round, we'll check into this or that and nothing came of it except more of the same.

I walked out in protest, told them I couldn't work for an employer that did things the way they did. I had the meeting, went back to my desk, logged off the network, punched out and said Goodbye to some friends and co-workers.

Yeah, stupid and bull headed but then I've always done what I consider to be "the right thing" and damn the consequences.

Hopefully I'll never learn "better".

VIP Member
    I think some of the problem might be that a lot of your American Companies are no longer American owned. I haven't worked for a company that own by an American in a long time. They have Amercan names but they have been European owned.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman
    I just found out today that I don't get, as a security guard for an American company any paid holidays unless I work that day. No holidays off with pay. But yet the company I contract through who hires many illegals gives those illegals American holidays off with pay.
    Not defending any of their policies, especially if they hire illegals. But I have to ask, are you a "full time" employee?

I've seen a lot of companies that DON'T pay holidays for their part time employees, and it seems it's pretty common.

Sadly, that means if you are working part time, and the illegal is classed as full time (even though he's cleaning bathrooms), he gets the holidays!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

New Pink Floyd song
    Another brick in the (Mexican) wall.
    Sing it...
    We don't need illegal imigration.........................

The phrase "ashamed to be an American" is not in my vocabulary. Perhaps you should be ashamed to work for your company. I agree their policy is detestable. However, I fail to see how your employer's inequitable treatment of its employees is the fault of your Nation.

In my opinion, your frustration is misdirected. Be ashamed of working for an unfair employer, not for being an American.
    Last edited by Blackhawk6; June 20th, 2006 at 07:40 PM.

It's been my experience that small business (for the most part---there are some good guys out there) tries to get away with whatever they can to keep an extra buck in their pocket. Maybe they feel that this will make up for their own shortcomings in terms of running a business. In anycase....keep the head up....there are alot of employers out there.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

one word "UNION"
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links