Time Capsule?

This is a discussion on Time Capsule? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I remember the first time I bought gas, it was 59 cents, I was 16 and had a Corvair (Ralph Nader) hater car. I can ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time Capsule?

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I remember the first time I bought gas, it was 59 cents, I was 16 and had a Corvair (Ralph Nader) hater car.

I can only remember back to 10 years old and 31 cents a gallan and my Dad saying that was high LOL.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

2. Remove Ads

When I was a kid, I remember the neighborhood Phillips 66 station had a cigarette machine - 25 cent per pack (took quarters). Price went up to 26 cents, so the owner had a old magnet flashlight (no innards) stuck to the side of the machine for folks to drop in the extra penny.
    Steve

I've only kept one thing....the front page of the Washington Post where the headline reads "Clinton Impeached" I have it in a poster size frame and have been offered $100 for it. NO SALE!! It's priceless.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
    Ted Nugent

OK its official I'm getting old...

Gas wars and dime a gallon regular, 110 octane premium, nickle candy bars, dime pop with a nickle deposit, comics were a dime, Louden Bros cherry cough drops for a dime and you could have them in school, Fizzies, Chocolate drink straws for your milk, our big old B&W TV and our first used color set with enough tubes in it to heat the house in the winter, the coal fired furnace in the basement and the regular deliveries of coal, dad used the clinkers for drive way material, going out in the fall and gathering our own apples, and fresh cider, Sullivan's chocolate malts, Dads 56 Chevy and the one he had with the gas fill in the tail light...

We could go for walks in the evening with out fear, never locked the door when we left, would often end up at any one of several small family stores that were scattered about and buy a pop to drink on the way home....

There were no gangs, parents would kick their kids rear if they got out of line and it was not called child abuse, we made guns and knifes in school shop and got graded on them.....

We got into fights at school and that was the end of it, no violence after the fact, we spent our evenings reading, playing outside with friends, cowboys n Indians with cap guns that made a real loud bang, football, rode our bicycles everywhere, Our video games consisted of pin ball machines and you had to be 18 to play, we cruised the gut for Friday and Saturday night enterainment...

criminals were just that and not some poor underprivileged kid, we ate our diner at the kitchen table, and TV was for later if we were good.

You could buy guns via mail order, yeah some were junk, K Mart had and sold heaps of military surplus guns for sale along with huge amounts of cheap ammo, gun shops were plentiful, and kids were polite....

Yep its official I'm old Technology is good but old time morals were better.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I remember having to stand guard over the dodo bird pen to keep the T-Rex out. It was pretty boring, but I had my lyre and ale to keep me occupied.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    My dad used to have a hybrid truck back in the early 80s. No, not a gas-electric, but a gas-propane. He got it to avoid the ration lines.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Two movies and 10 cartoons on Saturday mornings
    Pack of cigarettes
    Pack of Gillette Blue blades
    A malt made with one scoop (10cents more for 2 scoops)
    Loaf of bread
    Diner hamburger
    A baloney sandwich from the deli on Italian bread
    Slice of Pizza and a coke
    Hot dog stand hot dog and a coke
    An hour in the pool room
    Two games at the bowling alley

Any of the above 25cents.

My first new car was a 1964 Mustang with a 289ci engine. $2,812.00and that included factory pin stripping and special order paint job. It took 16 weeks from the day I ordered it to when it was delivered. Filled it with Mobil (High test) $4.00 for full tank.

bosco

Senior Moderator
    I told one of my kids about cigarette machines and he didnt beleive me untill he looked it up on the net.

When I was a sprickle, I'd go the gas station with a quarter and get a gallon of gas for the lawnmower. I could keep the change (gas was 17cents) and I would usually get a few pieces of Bazooka Bubblegum which was 2 for a penny.

I knew times were bad when I went into the store one day and they had changed the price to a penny a piece. That made me so mad...I just couldnt beleive it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Gas wars and dime a gallon regular, 110 octane premium, nickle candy bars, dime pop with a nickle deposit, comics were a dime, Louden Bros cherry cough drops for a dime and you could have them in school, Fizzies, Chocolate drink straws for your milk, our big old B&W TV and our first used color set with enough tubes in it to heat the house in the winter, the coal fired furnace in the basement and the regular deliveries of coal, dad used the clinkers for drive way material, going out in the fall and gathering our own apples, and fresh cider, Sullivan's chocolate malts, Dads 56 Chevy and the one he had with the gas fill in the tail light...

We could go for walks in the evening with out fear, never locked the door when we left, would often end up at any one of several small family stores that were scattered about and buy a pop to drink on the way home....

There were no gangs, parents would kick their kids rear if they got out of line and it was not called child abuse, we made guns and knifes in school shop and got graded on them.....

We got into fights at school and that was the end of it, no violence after the fact, we spent our evenings reading, playing outside with friends, cowboys n Indians with cap guns that made a real loud bang, football, rode our bicycles everywhere, Our video games consisted of pin ball machines and you had to be 18 to play, we cruised the gut for Friday and Saturday night enterainment...

criminals were just that and not some poor underprivileged kid, we ate our diner at the kitchen table, and TV was for later if we were good.

You could buy guns via mail order, yeah some were junk, K Mart had and sold heaps of military surplus guns for sale along with huge amounts of cheap ammo, gun shops were plentiful, and kids were polite....

Yep its official I'm old Technology is good but old time morals were better.....
    I wish I had grown up in those times sir.

I was raised in a very old school and traditional manner. My brother and I fought all the time growing up, but that was that. I listened to my mother, (mostly) and my fathers word was law in our house. In a family of six, with four children rather evenly spaced (3-4 years apart) we did not need to, but we all raised each other.

A favorite past time for my brother and I was to play army men, or build huge complex scenes with plastic army men (got the tub for a dollar and got the dollar for working) in our sandbox that we built with my father. One of our forts was two massive wooden shipping boxes that my father and we sons weatherproofed and stacked atop each other (using 2x4's and elbow grease) and a tree house that we also built by hand. We had plenty of land, and were free to do as we pleased, so long as our work was done.

Then we'd step off our property and peoples attitudes were raging, everyone pointing the finger to blame someone else, lawsuits and gas at $0.74/gallon, then came cell phones (I used to remember all of the numbers I needed), big time internet, text messaging and a world that could and would change completely in seconds. Not to mention the audacity of peoples mouths.

I feel more comfortable with folks a generation or two older then people my own age!

My father stills gripes sometimes about the old days when; "I could go to work, take care of a project, send the letter out, catch up on some back-log work and odds and ends, get the letter back a few days later (if it was first class) and resume working on the project. Now it seems like I have a reply before I even send the email! No wonder folk are more stressed these days - they are too full." (He designs simulators).

My own quip at modern society; "Do not speed, it will only get you to your destination a few minutes earlier and at a greater risk". Too bad we now live in a world where seconds count.

I can't wait to buy a house in a town even smaller than this. Backyard law, good old fashioned police beatings (I'd rather be beaten in an alley by a LEO than spend 5 years in jail!) and more so than that; respect, compassion, kindness...time. By the time I reach the age I can find a place such as this, I fear it will be too late.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links