Home, after paranoid trip to California

This is a discussion on Home, after paranoid trip to California within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We left family and friends in central CA (Fresno) about 17 years ago when we moved to AZ. My parents are in their late 80s ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home, after paranoid trip to California

We left family and friends in central CA (Fresno) about 17 years ago when we moved to AZ. My parents are in their late 80s and are having health issues. It was time to make the trip, to visit, and help my brother with arrangements for home health care.

We (wife, son, and myself) left Tucson early in the morning, had to stop at the border to un-load and secure the guns in the trunk. What a pain. We each had our EDC guns, now we have 3 guns in the trunk. As I am driving, I feel naked, and wondering how an encounter with LEO would go if 3 weapons were found in the trunk. Too much stress.

Our first stop was at wife's aunt and uncles house. Gotta love these people. They live in the middle of a grape vineyard and the uncle is a gun guy, with a lot of C & R guns. Our wives are both pro gun, but after a few hours of fondling guns and incessant talking about gun related issues they grew tired and left the uncle, son and myself in hog heaven to continue our discussions. To avoid LEO issues we left our guns at their house while taking care of personal affairs.

The next day it was with my parents and brother. I had to go shopping. Being naked, my SA was on high alert. Everybody looked like a BG. I know I was just being paranoid but couldn't help it. After the shopping trip we went to my brothers house. Once again the gun topic came up. My brother owns three handguns; his father in law died a few years ago and left him a 45 long Colt, a 357 of some sort and a 22 revolver. The guns were locked in his safe along with his deceased wife's wedding rings. My brother lost the combination to the safe and can't open it. So I didn't get to fondle the guns.

My brother is a salesman and spends a good deal of time in his car and in questionable neighborhoods. He wishes he could carry but is not willing to jump through the hoops to get a permit, even though Fresno County is fairly generous (for CA) with CCW permits. So I guess the guns will stay in the safe for another few years.

Spent the better part of 2 days at the VA and Center for the Aging making arrangements for home health care. All the time naked and paranoid.

Back to aunt and uncles house. More gun talk, and shooting. Set up a fire wood round, attached a target and shot from the garage. After a few hundred rounds, it was time to clean the guns, BBQ and drink some adult beverages.

Home the next day, guns unloaded and in the trunk. Once again, naked and paranoid about LEO encounter, drove the speed limit till the AZ border. Stopped retrieved and and loaded the guns. I'm back in AZ with 265 miles to go. Just felt better, no more paranoia, drove 5 to 10 mph above posted speed. What a relief.

To sum it up. Parents are going to need more care, there will be more trips, they are OK for now.

Will talk to brother more about the carry situation.

Spend more time with wife's aunt and uncle. (good times).

Gotta do something about the paranoia.

Gotta love AZ
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

I refuse to enter California for any circumstance. For those exact reasons.

VIP Member
    Bummer about your parents. I'm at the same stage. At least they have us to look after them. I was stationed on YBI in San Francisco for three years. Incredible beauty and endless things to see and do. However, I will not go back unarmed.

Fresno is doing everything but loading folks on a bus to get their permits. No real hoops to jump through. Just don't freak out at the essay question "Why do you want to carry?" Uhh... "I feel threatened by the violence in the communities I travel to for work." That's it. You have to do a class & shoot (tell him to call Joe Moreno). That takes a chunk of a Saturday and not much more than that.

Sheriff Sims is laying off deputies and wants the help.

I know that because you're not from California you felt a bit paranoid but I'll have to say that LE is great here for the most part. I would feel the same way if I were to go to another state and have firearms on me. I think it's just the "out of my area" feeling and not being able to be armed. The Fresno to Bakersfield area is very pro-gun as far as LE is concerned and you don't have anything to worry about IMO. LE in the cities of California deal with some bad people and if you did happen to get pulled over, I'm sure you would be just fine. Relax next time and just remember that like in your state, LE in California is on your side.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I get the same feeling crossing into the PRK as I did crossing into East Berlin.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    LE in California is on your side.
    yeah....ok.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Dude, chill out. It is California, not Afghanistan. A firearm is just a tool, your skills and training should go with you firearm or no.

:)
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Dude, chill out. It is California, not Afghanistan. A firearm is just a tool, your skills and training should go with you firearm or no.
    Yes, thank you. This is the United States of America. Our ancestors fought in a long, brutal war to ensure that we would stay a united country. I take a dim view of the ease with which people say "commiefornia," "kalifornia," etc. It's a huge state with a lot of variation - San Diego is not Redding.

It's also where I grew up and where I learned to shoot. If you live in California and you want guns, and you want to shoot them and you want to carry, you can. Lots of talk here is way over the top, making it sound like the state has banned handguns or something. I just don't do the "state-hate" thing - it's offensive to me as a loyal citizen.

Anyway, most people across the country go about their business unarmed and most of them don't have any problems. One should never feel paranoid or "naked" without a firearm unless you're in a very bad area, in which case you should feel paranoid whether you have one or not.

Situational awareness that allows one to avoid trouble is paramount. Carry when you can, but don't stress when you can't. If you don't have a lot of time to commit to martial arts, take Krav Maga lessons to improve your sense of well-being when unarmed.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post

Yeah....I'd sooner go back to Afghanistan than California (lived in CA for 3 years)....

Easier commute

Better working conditions

Better rules of engagement (hype notwithstanding)

...and Class III weapons are ok!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post

short and to the point....

if youre that worried about going somewhere and not being able to carry your firearm you really need to reevaluate your own situation...not the states youre going to...

glad to hear you made it out alive and in one piece...

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Yes, thank you. This is the United States of America. Our ancestors fought in a long, brutal war to ensure that we would stay a united country. I take a dim view of the ease with which people say "commiefornia," "kalifornia," etc. It's a huge state with a lot of variation - San Diego is not Redding.

It's also where I grew up and where I learned to shoot. If you live in California and you want guns, and you want to shoot them and you want to carry, you can. Lots of talk here is way over the top, making it sound like the state has banned handguns or something. I just don't do the "state-hate" thing - it's offensive to me as a loyal citizen.

Anyway, most people across the country go about their business unarmed and most of them don't have any problems. One should never feel paranoid or "naked" without a firearm unless you're in a very bad area, in which case you should feel paranoid whether you have one or not.

Situational awareness that allows one to avoid trouble is paramount. Carry when you can, but don't stress when you can't. If you don't have a lot of time to commit to martial arts, take Krav Maga lessons to improve your sense of well-being when unarmed.
    Yep...I plan to travel to Massachusetts to visit the parents soon...can't carry...

I'll survive...

I won't move back for a number of reasons, among them, the gun laws...

But I won't stop visiting family, friends, and my alma mater for a football or basketball game...

Life goes on when I can't carry (I can't carry at work and I survive...)
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Honestly, I don't blame people for thinking of California like they do when it comes to firearms. I've lived here my whole life and I've seen where pointless California law and views of the socalled peace-lovers, tree huggers and flower children have rolled the
    eyes of our entire country. But, really what the point I'm trying to get across here is that the stereotypical "Commiefornia" does NOT reflect the views of our LE. Now I'm speaking of what I believe to be the "general consensus" because we can never claim
    "all." But I'm willing to go out on a limb to the surprise of many here and say that California Law Enforcement is a lot more like "us" in our views for the most part than a lot here would think. What shockwave said about Redding not being like San Diego is very accurate in that LE experiences in Southern California and the Bay Area regarding firearms is usually different. The area that the OP was talking about is very gun friendly as far as CC. The gun owning, law abiding citizen is not looked down upon by LE, it is the California voter that is the enemy of 2A. Unfortunately, the laws are created by the voter and the entire state is affected because most of the people in Ca. vote from very gun-unfriendly, highly populated areas. So for the most part, I really admire our LE in California. In the cities, they are the ones dealing with the repercussions of the vote; the criminal being the only ones with the guns. I know that all LEOs are not pro 2A and I'm sure that there has been cases that can prove a particular officer's view of this. But as a whole, I stand in their defense. So OP, the next time you come to California, don't worry about the LEO, worry about the criminal. Just don't panic and get into a chase with the California Highway Patrol, they're some of the best pursuit officers in the world IMO.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

So sorry about your parents, prayers sent your way. I love the fact that you, your wife and son all carry. You guys will always be prepared!

Wow.....didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest. Let me take this opportunity to try to better explain. My fire arm is with me or readily available everyday. I do not leave the house without it. It is just a part of what I do, and what I carry with me on a daily basis. Have any one of you ever left the house only to discover you left you wallet at home? (I have) When you discovered you didn't have your wallet, you knew something was missing, and I'll bet you didn't feel right without it. That is kinda the way I felt without my gun. Now to elevate the situation to the next level, I was in a place that it is not legal to carry my gun concealed. We spent a lot of time in the car with our guns locked in the trunk. As I said in the original post we had 3 guns. A Bersa 380 CC (not a California legal gun) A Ruger SP101 spurless hammer (Not a California legal gun) and a S & W 39-2 (Don't know the legality of this gun). The last thing I wanted to happen was a LEO encounter and get the guns confiscated and every thing else that comes with a negative encounter with LEO's.

The firearm laws in California are much more restrictive than AZ, and truly make me uncomfortable.

OK some history. I was raised in Fresno. Learned to shoot in Fresno and owned a towing service in Fresno (80's- 1993). I carried a gun in my truck and most of the LEO's I came in contact with knew the tow trucks had guns. Just the way it was. I know Fresno Co. is gun friendly by California standards. Having run the streets of Fresno, in a tow truck I learned about the street violence first hand and have the scars to prove it.

If anyone wants to see a picture of what I looked like back then. Look up Americas Most Wanted capture #101. I turned in one of my customers. The show did a story about me while I was driving the tow truck. Three months after my youngest son was born, we sold the towing service and moved from Fresno to AZ to get away from the Hmongs, bulldogs, northsiders, southsiders, crips and bloods.

For those of you who sing the praises of CA.......been there done that, have the T shirt to prove it. CA is no longer my home. AZ fits my lifestyle better, I can carry my gun with me, we have the right to stand and fight, and we have the castle doctrine, none of which is legal in CA.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links