broke my finger today.... what now?

This is a discussion on broke my finger today.... what now? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yup, got my finger caught in my dog's collar while breaking up a fight this morning and CRACK! Spiral fracture in my right ring finger. ...

Thread: broke my finger today.... what now?

Yup, got my finger caught in my dog's collar while breaking up a fight this morning and CRACK! Spiral fracture in my right ring finger. I am currently in a splint covering my hand and wrist but will have a cast up to my wrist and maybe surgery. I have a Jframe I can carry in my left pocket but that feels pretty worthless. I never thought about the ramifications of a hand injury before. I feel very vulnerable when i go out. I hope I can work with the Doctor to create a cast that will allow me to eventually handle my weapon when the pain subsides..

DOH!!

Ouch. I sort of know the feeling. I broke my right wrist a while back playing keeper for my soccer team, though this was before I owned a gun. However, it still carries a lesson and as such, I regularly practice shooting right-handed with one and two hands, and the same left-handed.

I can't shoot as well with just my left hand as I can with my right and a good two-handed stance, but I can do it well enough that I'm comfortable.

EDIT: I carry an M&P .40c by the way.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Ah, let your troubles be a warning to us all. Practice shooting weak handed! May I suggest a Kahr or Glock with that light DAO trigger in the meantime? Get well soon!

VIP Member
    Indeed, what RR said.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    Ah, let your troubles be a warning to us all. Practice shooting weak handed...
    Absolutely! And sorry about the accident but maybe it's one of those blessings in disguise.

We all probably give little thought to losing the use of our strong hand. It doesn't have to be in a gunfight. Which I cannot resist saying, one more good reason for a gun with a WML, especially a HD gun.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Administrator
    I took a 9mm to the ring finger and little finger of my right hand a few years back; needless to say, I wasn't shooting right handed for awhile. I took the opportunity and got myself fairly proficient drawing and shooting left handed. It can be done. The draw was the toughest thing for me to get down pat.
    "Just blame Sixto"

kpw
    Shooting lefty will probably come easier than brushing your teeth and zipping your fly. Been there a couple times. I'll never get to be a hand model now.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Ouch! Good luck with that. At least it's just a broken finger though and it will soon heal. A friend of mine has a son that recently managed to cut off 3 fingers on a table saw.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Oh dude a spiral fracture really sux. But this brought a thought in my troubled brain how many of us actually have a weak side holster for ccw guess I'm gonna invest.

Quote Originally Posted by tirider View Post
    Yup, got my finger caught in my dog's collar while breaking up a fight this morning and CRACK! Spiral fracture in my right ring finger. I am currently in a splint covering my hand and wrist but will have a cast up to my wrist and maybe surgery. I have a Jframe I can carry in my left pocket but that feels pretty worthless. I never thought about the ramifications of a hand injury before. I feel very vulnerable when i go out. I hope I can work with the Doctor to create a cast that will allow me to eventually handle my weapon when the pain subsides..

DOH!!

good excuse to practice with your off hand.

good replies - thanks to all!

Start practicing left handed, it'll come quicker & easier than you think. I'm right handed, throw, write, swing, etc. right handed, but CC, draw & shoot left.

Long story, but this is a result of my right hand fingers only having 70% flexibility due to a broken wrist years ago, my index trigger finger being the weakest & least flexible of the bunch, with barely strength to pull a DA trigger.

Anyway, shooting left is completely natural to me now, more so than shooting right. Practice lots, & good luck with the rehab.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Ex Member
    It is a blessing. Your weak handed shooting will get much better.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Oh dude a spiral fracture really sux. But this brought a thought in my troubled brain how many of us actually have a weak side holster for ccw guess I'm gonna invest.
    I'd use my IWB holster, Small of my back. Left hand Palm out till it heals ; ) JMO
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Links