Oakland CA no longer responds to minor crimes

This is a discussion on Oakland CA no longer responds to minor crimes within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Some of the crimes on the list look pretty serious to me, maybe they should post a list of crimes they will respond to. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oakland CA no longer responds to minor crimes

Some of the crimes on the list look pretty serious to me, maybe they should post a list of crimes they will respond to. The list would be shorter and victims wouldn't be wasting their time.

Suffer These Crimes in Oakland? Don't Call the Cops | NBC Bay Area

Administrator
    This is going around around the country. As public budgets are cut, the first thing politicians cut is what will grab the peoples attention most; police and fire service.
    That said, so much time and resource is wasted daily on items police should not be involved with in the first place. Minor private property traffic crashes, childish neighbor disputes and my all time favorite... telephone harassment are a few examples. Burglary should not be on that list IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Agreed, I would also delete GT.

Oakland is a bad place for sure.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

burglary
    theft
    embezzlement
    grand theft
    grand theft:dog
    identity theft
    false information to peace officer
    required to register as sex or arson offender
    dump waste or offensive matter
    discard appliance with lock
    loud music
    possess forged notes
    pass fictitious check
    obtain money by false voucher
    fraudulent use of access cards
    stolen license plate
    embezzlement by an employee (over $ 400)
    extortion
    attempted extortion
    false personification of other
    injure telephone/ power line
    interfere with power line
    unauthorized cable tv connection
    vandalism
    administer/expose poison to another's
    Imagine if you will, someone breaking into your home, and the BG's know that the police no longer respond to the above situations...
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Imagine if you will, someone breaking into your home, and the BG's know that the police no longer respond to the above situations...
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Is there a legal issue at play here? I know police are not required to protect a single person, but are they required to enforce the law? By choosing to not enforce a class of law (many silly ones at that) are they violating their something or other?
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Don't worry, the criminal element in Oakland can't read. They'll never be able to decipher the list.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    So are they going to offer Must Issue or Blanket Permits?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    This is going around around the country. As public budgets are cut, the first thing politicians cut is what will grab the peoples attention most; police and fire service. That said, so much time and resource is wasted daily on items police should not be involved with in the first place. Minor private property traffic crashes, childish neighbor disputes and my all time favorite... telephone harassment are a few examples. Burglary should not be on that list IMO.
    That's for sure. They're laying off LEOs right and left here, but they still manage to install expensive, having-to-be-maintained-forever landscaping on every road improvement in my three horse town. So freshly mowed and trimed medians is more important than LEOs?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    There are quite a few things on that list that should not be ignored. Especially registering sex offenders!
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    California in general and Oakland in particular are clear examples of what happens in a welfare state where the money wrung out of the taxpayers is diverted to the most unproductive and least fiscally beneficial citizens and programs. I could just bet that money for the chronic malingerer's to stay in hotels was increased. I'll bet the same for welfare recipients. Of course if they're paying the cops $188,000.00 a year, maybe a pay cut instead of layoffs is in order.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    California in general and Oakland in particular are clear examples of what happens in a welfare state where the money wrung out of the taxpayers is diverted to the most unproductive and least fiscally beneficial citizens and programs. I could just bet that money for the chronic malingerer's to stay in hotels was increased. I'll bet the same for welfare recipients. Of course if they're paying the cops $188,000.00 a year, maybe a pay cut instead of layoffs is in order.
    $188,000.00/yr? Is that a typo? Is that for the commissioner? Or a patrolman?

I think im in the wrong job!
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I don't think that is just salaries. Add in benefits, training, equipment, etc.

Never defending laying off anyone, but Oaklands PD and FD are something like 70 to 80% of the total city budget. They shoot themselves in both feet by setting up a budget that but the city in this position.
    The crazy/funny/who'd-a-thunk-it/ironic thing is the city (aka. Oaksterdam) is considering permitting industrial cannabis growing to fill the 35 million dollar hole in their budget and use the money to rehire PD and FD. Presently, their cannabis sales tax and permits already generates about 3 million already. In this economy, they would never go back...there's just too much money to be made.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links