OK I'm Officially offended...

This is a discussion on OK I'm Officially offended... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In todays junk mail there was a Comcast ad.... In Spanish, with the English translation in tiny letters under the main ad... This is America ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK I'm Officially offended...

OK I'm Officially offended...

In todays junk mail there was a Comcast ad.... In Spanish, with the English translation in tiny letters under the main ad...

This is America the primary language is English, and Yeah I called and gave them heck!!!

No this is not an anti Mexican post, my neighbor is Mexican and one heck of a nice guy, I help him fix stuff N he brings me home made food with a bite!!!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    ¿Qué no usted tiene gusto de español?

kidding

If it was just an email I wouldn't give it a second thought. I get spam emails in characters my computer can't even display.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    In todays junk mail there was a Comcast ad.... In Spanish, with the English translation in tiny letters under the main ad...

This is America the primary language is English, and Yeah I called and gave them heck!!!

No this is not an anti Mexican post, my neighbor is Mexican and one heck of a nice guy, I help him fix stuff N he brings me home made food with a bite!!!
    And I bet he even speaks a little bit of english!!!

Seriously though, Comcast is by far the worst ISP/Cable provider in the world. They have caused me more problems for my customers being unable to maintain a connection into corporate networks via VPN than any other conceivable problem (hardware, software, both combined).

So, looks like I have another reason to dislike them. Thanks alot Sheldon!
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    Seriously though, Comcast is by far the worst ISP/Cable provider in the world. They have caused me more problems for my customers being unable to maintain a connection into corporate networks via VPN than any other conceivable problem (hardware, software, both combined).
    Try Time Warner Cable - at least in Portland, Maine. Worst worst worst ever. Billed me for neighbors cable and pay per view. I guess we get the feed from the same pole, and the install guy got the my neighbors cable box listed as coming to my place, and mine to my neighbors.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Comcast cable quality is pretty bad. Picture and sound constantly breaks up or freezes.

I haven't received that flyer, but have you called them and complained? I would (will) if I received one.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Guess what. We don't have an official language. Any company has the right to use Spanish in its programming. If you don't like a company because it uses a language other than English, take your business elsewhere, as it is your right. Being offended is your own fault. I offer my classes in Spanish. I have an ad for my class in Spanish. If that offends you, don't use my business. Doing so is for the benefit of my business, because, as I'm sure you've figured out, not everyone speaks English. Welcome to Earth.

"America" consists of thirty-one countries across two continents.

I am an Amurican and am pretty proud of it. I'm also proud that I have the right to speak whatever language I want. Additionally, I'm proud that I am able to speak more than one language.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? "Trilingual." What do you call someone who speaks two languages? "Bilingual." What do you call someone who speaks one language? "Amurican."
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Guess what. We don't have an official language. Any company has the right to use Spanish in its programming. If you don't like a company because it uses a language other than English, take your business elsewhere, as it is your right. Being offended is your own fault. I offer my classes in Spanish. I have an ad for my class in Spanish. If that offends you, don't use my business. Doing so is for the benefit of my business, because, as I'm sure you've figured out, not everyone speaks English. Welcome to Earth.

"America" consists of thirty-one countries across two continents.

I am an Amurican and am pretty proud of it. I'm also proud that I have the right to speak whatever language I want. Additionally, I'm proud that I am able to speak more than one language.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? "Trilingual." What do you call someone who speaks two languages? "Bilingual." What do you call someone who speaks one language? "Amurican."
    And I'm part American Indian but they did not send me the ad in my Native tongue, they don't sent out their ad in German, Italian, or in French for all of those that exclusively speak those languages in the USA, Why because they make a serious effort to learn English, If I were a resident south of the boarder I would expect to have to become more fluent in Spanish and not for them to change the country for me.....

BTY I speak German, a little French, and a smattering of Spanish, and can understand a few words of Italian and Korean, enough to get by, don't know what that makes me other than upset and offended. No country goes out of the way to send out their junk mailings in English other than the UK.......

Yes I do not subscribe to Comcast, and as of now never will.... So just like the places that post the no gun signs I will continue to go elsewhere with my money.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

If I'm at a Walmart, I like to go thru the self-checkout, and then start asking them.... as I point at the English / Espanol buttons....

Wer ist Deutsch ? (where is German).

I mean, lets really be PC and put a whole language section in there to choose the one you like best, or keep it to English and quit playing with it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

If I'm at a Walmart, I like to go thru the self-checkout, and then start asking them.... as I point at the English / Espanol buttons....

Wer ist Deutsch ? (where is German).

I mean, lets really be PC and put a whole language section in there to choose the one you like best, or keep it to English and quit playing with it.

I've also asked in Chinese.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I have asked for Arabic too, but that freaks people out sometimes.

The way I always look at this problem is that if I were to go to another country to live and work there (not just visit on vacation), then I would have the respect to learn their language. I do realize that technically english is not our national language for whatever reason but it is the dominant language, and it is also the language used by our government. So to me it just shows a lack of respect by those that come here to live but think that we should learn their language to communicate with them.
    I am not one of those people that cries "everyone in the world should just learn english!", but if you are living in the United States then I think you should. If you want to speak your native language with your friends and family thats awesome go for it, but when our country has to cater to you because you won't speak our native language that is ridiculous. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    The way I always look at this problem is that if I were to go to another country to live and work there (not just visit on vacation), then I would have the respect to learn their language. I do realize that technically english is not our national language for whatever reason but it is the dominant language, and it is also the language used by our government. So to me it just shows a lack of respect by those that come here to live but think that we should learn their language to communicate with them.
    I am not one of those people that cries "everyone in the world should just learn english!", but if you are living in the United States then I think you should. If you want to speak your native language with your friends and family thats awesome go for it, but when our country has to cater to you because you won't speak our native language that is ridiculous. JMO
    Amen!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    In todays junk mail ....
    There you have it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    There you have it.
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    My 4 grandparents came here in the early 1900s. They spoke little English, and as they learned to use English they still preferred to use Yiddish in the home. There was a vibrant Yiddish culture in NYC until about the early 1970s; newspapers in Yiddish, radio station in Yiddish, store advertising in Yiddish, newspaper ads in Yiddish. Out green grocer was Italian. He learned to speak Yiddish in order to satisfy his customers.

Today, Yiddish is almost a dead language. Few know it at all. My grandparent's children spoke English and Yiddish interchangeably. Their children (my generation) use only English.

The same will happen with the Spanish speaking immigrants. Give it a generation or two.

I too am irked a bit when Spanish is sometimes the predominant language used on certain merchandise---often construction supplies--- and I have to search for English language instructions in small print. But, this is merely the manufacturer catering to the tastes and familiarities of their customer base. It is free enterprise after all to cater to your customers.

I've heard all of the very same complaints before, 60 years ago, regarding my grandparents.

I have no doubt that English will remain our predominant language and that in a generation or two, these concerns will be non-issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links