Generator in and testED!

Generator in and TESTED!

This is a discussion on Generator in and TESTED! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm posted about this before, and being the lazy sort that I am, I'm going to cut-and-paste a post I made on another web site. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generator in and testED!

Generator in and testED!

I'm posted about this before, and being the lazy sort that I am, I'm going to cut-and-paste a post I made on another web site. (Whole different hobby, that one.) Hope no one minds!

This certainly won't be a "how-to," but I will be posting some pictures of my new generator. A lot of the "how-to" stuff would better be left to a real electrician. . .

Any way, today, I did a full-load test of my recently installed generator. The generator's primary function is to keep the Koi ponds running and my well, during power outages. I've lived in Florida long enough to know just how bad it can get when a hurricane comes through.

I opted for an 8 kw, tri-fuel model. This one can run just as easily on gasoline, as it can on propane or compress natural gas. I decided against gasoline, because of storage problems when talking about the run-time I want. No go on the CNG, as I haven't seen it in my area.

So, I went with propane. I already use it for my stove and oven, hot water heater, and clothes dryer. I had a 125 gallon tank that gets topped of on a regular schedule, but it needed to be bigger.

Now, I have a 250 gallon supply. In theory, I should be able to run the house with just "essential" circuits kept "hot," and the ponds running 24/7, with the well available at all times, for approximately two full weeks. Hopefully, it will never come to that, but 2 weeks was my idea of a good target.

Trust me, being without electricity down here is bad enough, but when you don't have water available, it's even worse!

I ran the generator today, as it will be run once a week, just to keep it in operating condition. While I was doing this, I switched over to generator power and took advantage of the opportunity to get a much better map of what circuit breakers power exactly what. That way, I can turn off the non-essential stuff, right from the power panel.

It did power the ponds, just fine. In a power outage, they will keep running, 100%. I made certain the well cycled on, to keep fresh water available. Then, I started turning on the other breakers, one at a time. This thing will run the entire house, in a more-or-less normal fashion, if need be. Of course, that would cut the run-time in half, or more.

One interesting note, I found that I can actually run the heat pump to cool the house down, if I shut off everything to the house, except the master bedroom and kitchen, but the well must stay off.

So, if it really gets too hot, I can run the AC long enough to get the temp down, while keeping the well and the non-essential circuits off-line.

The only drawback I have is that this system will not take over, automatically. I found this function to cost more than I was willing to spend. But with my wife's (Dementia,) work schedule often being different from mine, and a neighbor who is home every night, someone will be able to get the system up and running, in short order.

I think I'm ready for hurricane season, but I'm certainly NOT looking forward to going through one.

mm
    Attached Images
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well chock up another dirty little job as done then MM LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Yes, although I'll soon have it's "house" finished and the generator thing will be done, my list really isn't visibly shorter!

mm

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    MM if your married that list will never get any shorter either LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Cool beans MM did you run in the motor and Gennie yet? Also might think of a Synthetic oil for it

It has been run twice before, just after I got it, but not for long. Today was a "full load" test and it ran with a load for about an hour. Not sure what constitutes being "run in."

They kind of messed up and shipped with oil in it, and with two bottles of oil in the crate. Actually, it even still had a little bit of gas left over from the factory test. I was told it isn't suppose to be shipped with either actually in it.

I'll take another look at the book and see if there's an description of a "run in" period. I don't recall seeing one, mostly how not to kill yourself with it, in five languages. . .

mm

1 hour under load is it Mike thats your run in time

Assistant Administrator
    Looks like a successful install Mike - good to hear.

I know how much planning you were putting into the venture.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Glad it worked out so well. Have you got a cover planned for it to keep it from being drenched, or is it an uncovered model?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Love my 10KW, I manual xfr everything it is better to load the generator slowly, frig, freezer, lights, microwave, tv, sat sys, it is grand to sit in a well lighted house enjoying yourself when every one else is in the dark, be sure to offer to help your neighbors out don't want them too upset over their lack of prepration.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

It has a temporary cover right now, a sheet of Permalon (HDPE.)

The four post in the pic are the beginnings of a "house." On one side, I've started with boards spaced almost their width apart, and I'll run another set on the inside, covering the gaps. Kind of "board on board."

That will provide some ventilation. The back will be done in a like manor, but the front and the side where the exhaust is, will be held in place by latches.

The front will be completely removable, to get at the controls, while that one side will hinge at the bottom, so the side will lay at about a 45* angle. This is to allow the exhaust to go out, and be deflected up. Partly as a noise baffle, partly to deflect the exhaust away from those plants.

The roof will be flat, 3/4 in. PT plywood, and hinged at the end closest to the house, so it can swing up, if I need to reach in there.

All the wood is there, I got foiled by the rain and my work schedule. But at least I got a coat of Thompson's water sealant on it, first.

In the pic below, you can see the chain that goes down about 8 links into the concrete, the other end is padlocked to a hard steel U bolt, also well -bedded in the concrete.

mm
    Attached Images

Sheldon,

Yes, the neighbors are covered! And I've also told them that if my putting this thing in keeps the storms away, they owe me, big-time!

mm

Is that hose and nozzle, shown in the first picture, for when it catches FIRE??... Actually, I have a 6.5kw that I use with my 5th wheel to run the dual AC's, and other junk the wife thinks she needs going at the same time...
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

John, NO!

Don't even think such thoughts!

Actually, that would come under the heading of "prior planning." But no, it's for those elephant ear-looking weeds.

mm

Quote Originally Posted by madmike
    I've also told them that if my putting this thing in keeps the storms away, they owe me, big-time!
    That reminds me of when I put mine in, we went 3 years without a power interuption after. LOL
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links