Migraines Suck!

Migraines Suck!

This is a discussion on Migraines Suck! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't get them very often, but this one's a doozy. Started on Tuesday morning. Was taking Tylenol and Imitrex with no effect. Went to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migraines Suck!

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Migraines Suck!

I don't get them very often, but this one's a doozy. Started on Tuesday morning. Was taking Tylenol and Imitrex with no effect. Went to the doc yesterday and he gave me an injection of Toradol (sp?) and a script for Vicodin. Felt ok but not great when I went to bed last night, this morning it is back with a vengeance. Vicodin isn't helping.

May have to go back to the doc when the wife gets home and see what else can be done.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

You might google migraine triggers and read up on that. My wife didn't believe that chocolate was giving her migraines and to be honest I didn't either but she can eat a hershey bar or some M&M and the next day she will get a migraine. So bassically it might be something you are eating that is doing it.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I am fairly certain that mine are triggered by changing sleep patterns. Unfortunately I work rotating shifts so there isn't much I can do about that.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Chocolate can trigger a migraine...but the bad news is, so can about a jillion other things. I have migraine myself. Narcotics like Vicodin may ease the misery somewhat, but don't come close to killing the pain. You might ask your Dr if there is any other migraine-specific medicine besides Imitrex to try. I take one called Maxalt. Doesn't work every time, but when it does the relief is amazing. You go from intense throbbing, puking, headache... to feeling almost normal in an hour. I sure wish it worked every time for me. Always grateful when it does. Fortunately for me, as I have aged the frequency of the headaches has diminished

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Some research has shown that an elevation in blood pressure can cause a migraine, hence the connection to chocolate which contains caffiene. Caffiene can raise blood pressure in many people. Elevated blood pressure causes the blood vessels to expand. Upon expanding they put pressure against nearby nerves which triggers the migraine.
    I cured mine by wrapping ice in a wash cloth and placing it in against the area where the pain was emanating from, usually between my temple and the base of my skull. I would hold it there as long as possible and then place it in an adjacent, painful area. Within 15-20 minutes it would be gone. Apparently it works similar to frostbite. The blood withdraws from the intense cold causing the vessel to contract. In winter I would sit outside, nicely bundled up, but with my head exposed. I would get the same result. It helps to be in a dark, quiet room if you're indoors.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I too suffer from them and can remember 3 distinct migraines i had. I hope you feel better soon. You take the same pills I do and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Let us know how it resolves. john

MAXALT works for me.
    Russell
    XD9 Service
    XD9 SC

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

+1 member of the migraine club. Imitrex and Motrin combined with 18 or so hours of ABSOLUTE quiet and pitch dark are usually what does it for me. I usually know about an hour before they come on (something in me just knows), and can retreat to wherever I need to be to make myself scarce.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

I've had migraines since I was a child and when I had heart problems and was put on Metoprolol for my heart. Went from migraines once or twice a month to once or twice a year. When I do get them, I take Fioricet on the onset and many times I don't get the headache.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Relpax is also another Prescription Medication when Imitrex doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    I don't get them very often, but this one's a doozy. Started on Tuesday morning. Was taking Tylenol and Imitrex with no effect. Went to the doc yesterday and he gave me an injection of Toradol (sp?) and a script for Vicodin. Felt ok but not great when I went to bed last night, this morning it is back with a vengeance. Vicodin isn't helping.

May have to go back to the doc when the wife gets home and see what else can be done.
    They suck. Sorry to hear about your pain. I only had one that was unbearable. The doctor gave me a shot of Demerol and I was in sleepy land for almost 24 hours. They tried everything and nothing worked. My migraines eventually just up and disappeared.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

VIP Member
    Maxalt works for me. To benefit from them you need to be able to tell that a migraine is coming on. I can tell when I wake up in the morning if one will be coming later in the day. If I wake up know one is coming I take the Maxalt and an hour or so later I realize that I no longer feel one coming.

As to triggers, I can bring one on by eating Chinese or other foods that contain large amounts of Monosodium glutamate (MSG). Hard cheeses can also act as a trigger. Romano does it to me.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

My mother used to get them often as we were growing up. Kinda think we kids were the trigers.

I understand your pain. When I lose my temper or bending myself into a knot doing a hitch. My weak spot is the back of my neck. When it goes into spasamas (sp) death has to be less painfull.

My chiroprator is a a god send.

Once I had to be 12-13 years old I had a headache i thought my head was going to explode. Nothing was working. I had no idea what I was thinking as I stood at the foot of my bed and fell backwards onto the pillows and when my neck snapped from the fall. My headache was gone. Like somebody shut off a valve. Freaky stuff.

My migraines are weird. I don't get any pain. But suddenly I'll get little lightning bolts across my vision and I'll lose about 40% of my field of view at the position of 10 O'Clock in my left eye. It's like I can move my hand through my field of vision and outside that area I can see it but when it passes into the section my hand vanishes! Weird, huh? I find mine are usually triggered by hunger and often a solid meal will make them go away.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

A friend of mine swears that standing on his head helps ease the pain.

I get them from eating dark chocolate (eat a little= headache, eat a bite= risk a migraine) and too much stress.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links