No Fly List keeps American out of America

This is a discussion on No Fly List keeps American out of America within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT Va. man back in US after weeks on no-fly list By KATHLEEN MILLER Associated Press Writer WASHINGTON (AP) -- Yahya Wehelie said Saturday he ...

View Poll Results: What do you think of the No Fly List and this case?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • It needs to go. This American has had his rights violated.

6 27.27%
  • It needs to be fixed. This shouldn't happen.

11 50.00%
  • It works just fine. Guy is probably a terrorist.

5 22.73%

Thread: No Fly List keeps American out of America

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

No Fly List keeps American out of America

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Va. man back in US after weeks on no-fly list

By KATHLEEN MILLER
    Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Yahya Wehelie said Saturday he can't wait to eat his mom's lasagna now that he's back on U.S. soil after FBI scrutiny stranded him in the Middle East for nearly two months on a no-fly list.

The 26-year-old Virginia man landed in New York on Saturday afternoon after the ordeal that began when his studies in Yemen aroused the suspicion of U.S. authorities. His family met him in New York and planned to drive him back to the Washington area.

"I can't ask for anything else in the world right now," said Wehelie, who had been living in a ramshackle Cairo hotel and surviving on fast food coupons provided by the U.S. embassy. "I want to eat some of my mom's cooking, lasagna I hope. I've been waiting for that."

Wehelie, a 26-year-old U.S. citizen of Somali descent, went to Yemen nearly two years ago at his parents' urging to learn Arabic. When he tried to return, FBI agents questioned him for days. He was placed on a no-fly list, leaving him stuck in Cairo until recently, when his no-fly status was removed.

The American Civil Liberties Union recently filed a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the government's no-fly list, saying that citizens are routinely placed on the list without reason and without a way to remedy the situation.

Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Muslim advocacy group, said he was glad Wehelie was reunited with his family but he worries for others in similar positions.

"There are still people overseas in his situation," Hooper said, vowing to press the issue with President Barack Obama's administration. "This is a policy that needs to be re-examined. They're barring citizens from returning to their own country."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    There is something fundamentally flawed with what has been done. What would be wrong with carefully screening someone and allowing them to return home? Then, if there is actual evidence against them, deal with it through the legal system.

The idea that anyone might willy nilly be denied the ability to return to the US from an overseas trip, or be unable to get about within their own country, based on a secret list with no workable means for redress, is really a page out of the world of totalitarian governments.

What absolutely stuns me is the fact that Congress knows about this problem well, being that Congressmen have found themselves on the no-fly list. You'd think they would figure out there is a problem and see to it that it gets fixed. Also, there have been innumerable reports that children are on the list.

What I find even more outrageous is the fact that our courts haven't long ago slammed this all down.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sooner or later, a lawsuit will hit the S.C. on this. Guilty until proven innocent without any recourse is so unconstitutional. Maybe we should all change our names to Jones or Doe.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sounds like being found guilty without probable cause,I would be more worried about a terrorist cell slipping across our southern border than somebody flying on a plane
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

God the ultimate irony for me is I want a shawarma right now. Must resist trip to Brooklyn.
    Anywise this is messed up. this list has needed to be changed and had some kinks worked out of it for awhile now. I hope this never happens to me.

Sounds like being found guilty without probable cause,I would be more worried about a terrorist cell slipping across our southern border than somebody flying on a plane
    Worry about both. Remember Delta, Christmas, Detroit? Fruit of the BOOM guy? I was on a different Delta flight and we were all watching the news as it developed.

Now in the case at hand. A guy from Somalia goes to, ahem, study in Yemen, and you are all jumping on his bandwagon?
    Let the muslims take some of the blame for our sensitivity. They caused it.

I do feel sorry for the 6 month old baby that is on the No-fly-list, and no body knows why. That's the problem, no one really knows how you get on and no one knows how you get off.

Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Muslim advocacy group,
    CAIR gets funding from terrorist groups. It is not what they portray themselves as.
    Last edited by Guns and more; July 18th, 2010 at 07:48 PM.

Senior Moderator
    Important tip - stay the heck out of Yemen, and you're good.

I think the no-fly list has some serious flaw, but I have no problem at all with extra scrutiny being applied to travelers from Yemen, given the stuff going on there.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    NEWS FLASH....The bill of rights does not mention the right to fly.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    A guy from Somalia goes to, ahem, study in Yemen, and you are all jumping on his bandwagon?
    It might not be fair, but I think as guy of Somali descent going to Yemen, he should have expected a snag. Why did he have to go to Yeman to study Arabic?
    Is there no place here in the US to study? I guess all our Government agents who speak Arabic went there too, huh?
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
    Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Worry about both. Remember Delta, Christmas, Detroit? Fruit of the BOOM guy? I was on a different Delta flight and we were all watching the news as it developed.

Now in the case at hand. A guy from Somalia goes to, ahem, study in Yemen, and you are all jumping on his bandwagon?
    That's about the first thing I thought of too.... heck yes they should be checking him out. Did he go to study " bomb making " while in Yemen, or to talk to the Inman there who's recruiting American's to blow up America ? I would have a host of questions.

Now, he can't be that dumb.....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links