Anyone explain the ins and outs of refrigerated a/c.

This is a discussion on Anyone explain the ins and outs of refrigerated a/c. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I moved into my new home about a year ago. It has refer a/c and frankly it's worse than an electric fan when it comes ...

Thread: Anyone explain the ins and outs of refrigerated a/c.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Anyone explain the ins and outs of refrigerated a/c.

I moved into my new home about a year ago. It has refer a/c and frankly it's worse than an electric fan when it comes to cooling. I'm constantly hearing praise about refer air, but mine is next to useless.
    Today the temp hit 97 and I had the repugnant thing on all afternoon. It managed to cool the inside down to a balmy 85 after running for hours. Is there some trick to getting the thing to work right? A friend told me the air should be ice cold coming out of the vents, well it isn't.
    My home also has vents in the rooms to help the hot air out into the attic where the cooling system is. My guess is that it's cooled there and then pushed back inside in some kind of cycle. There's plenty of duct work up there.
    Another thing I'm curious about, is if it might need refrigerant like the a/c in a car? Anyone have any suggestions besides getting a swamp cooler, which I'm seriously considering, they work great.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

2. Remove Ads

Your A/C should be capable of 60 degree discharge air under a moderate load. If it does not do that, clean the coils and change the filter. Check it again. Is the compressor icing? Are the fans running? Air flow is just as important as cleanliness.

Filter new, fans running, coils clean. Discharge temp still too high. Call the HVAC guy, it might need some refrigerant.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I will add this. Last year we purchased a complete new unit,inside and out. 4 ton,16 SEER. Our electric bill dropped over $200.00 per month in hot Texas weather. Our old unit ran all the time with poor results. The old unit was charged,coil cleaned,correct size,etc. New,quality A.C. units are far more efficient than old units. We fought for 6 years,hoping the old unit was OK,I regret not getting the new one earlier,we would have saved big $$ in utility bills.Some new units offer tax credits also.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    I will add this. Last year we purchased a complete new unit,inside and out. 4 ton,16 SEER. Our electric bill dropped over $200.00 per month in hot Texas weather. Our old unit ran all the time with poor results. The old unit was charged,coil cleaned,correct size,etc. New,quality A.C. units are far more efficient than old units. We fought for 6 years,hoping the old unit was OK,I regret not getting the new one earlier,we would have saved big $$ in utility bills.Some new units offer tax credits also.
    I've been thinking about this. Our unit does "ok" but not that great, especially under load in the heat of the afternoon. Seems like our house stays more humid than it should too. And of course our utility bill just keeps getting higher!

Buuutttt on the other hand, DH and I both want to relocate to Texas....and we had trouble getting a good appraisal on this house when we moved in. I'd hate to pour $$ into it only to have the appraiser "drive by" and not even take into consideration any upgrades that we do. I already have invested heavily in fencing and I know we'd have to re-do some of the floors before we could sell the place. I'm on the fence about it, coz I know I can stick it out, but like you say it might make a significant difference....
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Links