Can you turn a window AC unit on its side?

This is a discussion on Can you turn a window AC unit on its side? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have stupid windows at my place that slide open horizontally instead of vertically like normal windows. It's also hotter that satan's ___ right now ...

Thread: Can you turn a window AC unit on its side?

Can you turn a window AC unit on its side?

I have stupid windows at my place that slide open horizontally instead of vertically like normal windows. It's also hotter that satan's ___ right now and I need an ac unit to keep my room cool enough so I can sleep (note the time of this post).

I was thinking of grabbing one of those portable ones you can roll around and the only thing you have to vent through the window is its exhaust hose. BUT, AC window units are 1/3rd of the price and if I could get away with putting one of those in sideways then I would love to.

So, is there any reason I couldn't turn an AC window unit on its side?

I thought maybe the compressor oil would be affected but im not really sure how it all works.

2. Remove Ads

the oil would be affected and also the motor inside would be knocked off its mount inside the casing of the compressor. sorry I do not think this would work.

Senior Moderator
    A few manufacturers make window a/c units for this application. Google " vertical window air conditioner".

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    You probably need a casement window AC unit. Like everything else Walmart has an 8,000 BTU for $360.00.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

use a 1/2 inch peice of plywood above the a/c, put a block of wood against the part of the window that opens and the casement to keep it in place. You want the plywood to be a snug fit and to make sure that it is in the window track to hold the weight of the unit. Also you may have to shim under it so that it sits right. Once you have it set up you can do it again much easier and quicker. (keep all parts for next year)

You should never run anything with a compressor on it's side. That means AC, Fridge, Freezer, etc. It will ruin it if you do.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Who do you want to turn it on its side, is the window too narrow to mount it normal.

cmb
    Burn out a sompressor that way. Take your measurements and see if you can find one with a small enough width. Block the rest in with plywood to secure the opening and dry it in. May want to use pressure treated plywood (depending upong the size of the opening left) and paint the side facing the elements (wind, sun, rain).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    Burn out a sompressor that way. Take your measurements and see if you can find one with a small enough width. Block the rest in with plywood to secure the opening and dry it in. May want to use pressure treated plywood (depending upong the size of the opening left) and paint the side facing the elements (wind, sun, rain).
    I did exactly this for a couple of years. Worked fairly well too.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Agree, find one that fits. Here's mine, goes in for the one or two hot summer months then out. Plexiglass/plastic above to allow seeing out the window.
    Attached Images

Thanks for the advice. I just picked one up from Lowes and installed it. It is a portable one that only requires you to install an exhaust vent in the window. I got it all set up and secured it with a couple 2x1 strips cut to length and wedged at the top and bottom of the window. It's nice because they sit in the tracks perfectly and there's no way anyone can jiggle them loose. I had to drive with the unit laying on its side (tilted @ ~30degrees), so I am going to give it a couple of hours more hours before I fire it up. I hope it works. I paid a freakin premium for it. ($450...I could have bought a glock >:|) .

kavity, sounds like you got it licked. I've had problems with standard units even transporting them sideways. You should not transport, mount or use one of those other than upright as it will be installed. Same applies to refrig's or anything with an oil compressor
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    You should never run anything with a compressor on it's side. That means AC, Fridge, Freezer, etc. It will ruin it if you do.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^What Jackle said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Correct above, it would not be very cool and you would kill it.

The compressor must suck liquid freon out of the bottom of the cooling circuit. Without gravity causing the freon to gather there, the compressor will run dry and you will have issues.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Also if you were forced to tip it on it's side during storage or while moving it, you should let it sit for 12-24 hours in it's proper upright position to let all the oil drain back into the proper place before using it. (or so I've been told)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links