Done with summer - Page 2

Done with summer

This is a discussion on Done with summer within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ppkheat Understandable. Since my shop fire I've negotiated with the alarm service to expand our fire protection throughout our home. I'm going ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Done with summer

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Understandable. Since my shop fire I've negotiated with the alarm service to expand our fire protection throughout our home. I'm going to rough-in all the hard wiring they need, they called yesterday saying they'll be here tomorrow to finish their part. I'm 57, Louisiana summer, AND JUST SPENT MOST OF THE DAY IN MY ATTIC

PPKheat (about 5 pounds lighter)
    Ughh. Doesnt sound like fun at all.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I want it to be fall. I'm tired of sweating and having my vest cling to me all day. I'm tired of getting into a roasting car after a long hot shift. I'm tired of mowing green weeds and brown grass. I tired of my dogs not wanting to be outside, and my bird dog jumping up and running to the door when he hears fireworks, only to be disappointed that there are no birds and he will not be leaving the yard.
    I'm tired of having to get my Jeep muddy if I want to use the 4x4. Snow is much cleaner and more fun to drive in.

I'm also tired of hearing about kids drowning in pools when they should have been supervised. I'm tired of anywhere between 3 to 5 shootings a night and the natives being restless.

There, just needed to rant a little bit.

I totally understand how you feel as far as summer is concerned. If it makes you feel any better it sucks being a chef in the summer. Ovens on at 400+ degrees all day long. Grill on full blast. Steamer hissing as it steams food. Tilt skillet cooking mass quantities of food. Giant steam kettle cooking pasta. Wearing long pants, t-shirt, chef jacket, socks, shoes, and on top of all that an apron and hat to hold all of the heat in. So, like you I await fall and winter.....please hurry!!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I love the heat.
    Alaska and Upper Michigan have two seasons...winter and tough sledding, I'll stick to FL, where I can enjoy the heat in the summer and the warmth in the winter.
    I thought it was winter and August 18th
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

We've had two weeks of triple digit heat indexes, and the freaks are off the leash. Have you responded to:

Woman takes a beating, but won't surrender her beer
    Comments (93) Recommend (14)
    BY STAN FINGER
    The Wichita Eagle
    WICHITA She was beaten so badly she ended up with two black eyes _ but she didn't turn loose of her beer.

Her assailant, meanwhile, ended up being thrown into the Little Arkansas River.

It all unfolded at about 4 p.m. Thursday in the 400 block of West Central, police said, when a 49-year-old woman was walking along the river on a sidewalk.

She had just purchased a can of "high gravity" beer, and a 30-year-old homeless man wanted it.

He tried to take it from her, she refused, and he began beating her on the face and head. He also kicked her _ but she refused to surrender the beer.

A second homeless man, 41, saw what was going on and came to the woman's aid, police said. He pulled the attacker away from her and scuffled with him, eventually throwing him into the river next to the sidewalk.

Both the victim, who lives in north Wichita, and her assailant were taken to a local hospital for treatment.

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2010/07/16/140...#ixzz0uHQ6n3Xm

Or:

Woman accused of public urination in bizarre spree
    Comments (0) Recommend (0)
    The Associated Press
    WICHITA, Kan. - Wichita police say a woman is in big trouble after after going on a bizarre crime spree earlier this week.

Police Capt. Darrell Atteberry says the woman pulled into the driveway of a home around 8:20 p.m. Wednesday, where she got out and urinated in the yard. He says she then slapped her 3-year-old son several times before driving to a second home, where she tried in vain to run over a man.

Police say from there she went to a third home and ran over a mailbox before being stopped in front of a fourth residence.

Atteberry says she was booked on preliminary charges of aggravated assault, child endangerment, child abuse, urinating in public, transporting an open container, drunken driving and possession of marijuana.

Two young children riding with her were taken into protective custody.

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2010/07/16/140...#ixzz0uHQXR1Ze
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

We have 2 seasons in South Texas..Hot and Hurricane
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I love the heat.
    Alaska and Upper Michigan have two seasons...winter and tough sledding, I'll stick to FL, where I can enjoy the heat in the summer and the warmth in the winter.
    Yeah, I was taking a class in the Michigan UP one summer. I thought wow, this is pretty nice area, the Great Lakes are awesome, and it's much cooler in Summer than Missouri.

Then when I found out that the reason the shoulders of the highway are as wide as the highway itself was so they have a place for snow plows to pile all the snow in Winter, I kind of lost my desire to live there full time. Plus, the Michigan economy is in the toilet. No jobs anywhere up there.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by EPIC SCUMBAG View Post
    I totally understand how you feel as far as summer is concerned. If it makes you feel any better it sucks being a chef in the summer. Ovens on at 400+ degrees all day long. Grill on full blast. Steamer hissing as it steams food. Tilt skillet cooking mass quantities of food. Giant steam kettle cooking pasta. Wearing long pants, t-shirt, chef jacket, socks, shoes, and on top of all that an apron and hat to hold all of the heat in. So, like you I await fall and winter.....please hurry!!
    Does Orlando even have winter? I thought you guys had rainy season and summer. I lived in Pensacola for 2 years and I never remember it dropping below 50, but I sure as heck remember feeling like I just got out of a sauna every time I spent more than oh...15 seconds outside.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Personally, I'll take 100*F over any of those single digit temps we had last winter! I just don't *do* cold!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Headed to the mtns for 4 days starting in the morning. Gonna try to beat the heat for a while. I work in an un-air-conditioned warehouse unloading a trailer or more full of bread. The bread at the bakery runs over the top of the stacks of bread. The "bread dust" falls on top of the stacks. Guess what happens when you tip a stack back on a hand truck. It's 95 degres, the fan barely works, I have sweat running in places I can't mention, and top it all off with getting covered in bread dust. I get home feeling like a cheese stick, dipped, breaded and fried! Off to the Smokies. It's hiking, elk, and trout for me and the family for a few days. If the heat does follow me, I'm jumping in a mountain creek to cool off.
    Last edited by chiefjason; July 21st, 2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: splelling
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I hate cold weather. I'll take it 90F and 90% humidity for 365 days. If I'm not sweating, I'm not living.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I'm from Ohio as well and agree with the original poster about the extreme heat and humidity we have been experiencing lately. My favorite time of year is Fall, but I do like the change of all four seasons. I don't even mind the snow in winter, just keep the temperature at 30 and up. That single digit stuff is just nuts.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    What are you complaining about sixto old buddy, its going to be 99 and high humidity here in NC today and I have to make an all day inspection on a massive standing seam metal roof at the new terminal out at the RDU Airport. The roof panel will be about 140 degrees........try that on for size.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I'll keep the heat thanks
    I'll even deal with Michigan's Orange Barrel Season.
    Boating season isn't ever long enough and it's been a good year so far.
    Every trip out I've either had a nice size bass or muskie join me in the boat.
    It would be better if the hubby wasn't working 7 days a week, and we could get out a little more, but I'll take it.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I am south of you in West Virginia, Sixto and it has been hot, humid and just plain nasty this summer. I have to work outside in it too and I can definitely understand your feelings so rant on, Brother!

On the flipside, our winter last year was the coldest and longest one we've had for a few years. It is just the extremes in the weather that I hate to deal with.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Administrator
    Its 90+ today, with 94% humidity. Gross.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links