I had both of these as a kid

This is a discussion on I had both of these as a kid within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Kids today just don't know what they missed. Those of us that grew up in the 50's and 60's had some of the coolest toys! ...

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

Kids today just don't know what they missed. Those of us that grew up in the 50's and 60's had some of the coolest toys!

vids added in by qks
    Proud NRA member

Likwise!

Yep. Had the Tommy Burst and a Shootin' Shell lever action "Winchester" rifle.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Where was the "Baby Brady Bunch" back then when ya' needed them?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Remember them well and spent a lot of time looking for the bullets in order to reuse them. Could you just imagine the number of government agencies that would go into screaming fits it they were available now, after all we must be protected from ourselves.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Administrator
    "Shootin' Shells" They were great.

Good thread.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Before I delved into airguns and then eventually, real firearms, my first toy guns I bought when living in Japan were a set of chrome cowboy action shooting revolvers along with the holsters (even had a toy horse too). When we moved to Korea, I also had a pop rifle, a plastic bullet firing rifle (that was given to me on my 6th birthday in 1979), and a set of black colored plastic bullet firing snubbie revolvers. Heck I even rode my bicycle with those revolvers in holsters that came with it too. Those were the days when we weren't politically correct then and the muzzles didn't had any orange markers on them. Too bad I forgot and left them behind when we moved stateside in 1980. After that, stopped playing with guns until I first got into air guns in 1987 and then into my first pistol, the H&K USP .40, in 1994. I have come a long way and this is how I evolved into a gunowner/CH carrier.

Wow! Those toys looked awesome!
    Being a kid of the mid '70's, I just thought the plastic M-16's were kewl BEFORE they had to paint the tip of the barrels bright orange.

Anybody remember TRACER GUNS? They shot quarter-sized plastic disks, and boy, were they accurate and the gun could hold about 12 'rounds'.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

I had one of these when I was a kid.

kpw
    Had a Green Machine and a Big Wheel. The BW had better handling and could spin out easier. The GM looked cooler, though.
    My neighborhood had the best equipped kid army around, including cap grenades, a Browning .30 cal with working plastic ammo belt and my favorite MP-40ish sub gun. Man, you guys make me want to be a kid again!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by babyhulk View Post
    Wow! Those toys looked awesome!
    Being a kid of the mid '70's, I just thought the plastic M-16's were kewl BEFORE they had to paint the tip of the barrels bright orange.

Anybody remember TRACER GUNS? They shot quarter-sized plastic disks, and boy, were they accurate and the gun could hold about 12 'rounds'.
    Did you ever see any of the ones that were larger? I seem to remember one that was much larger than the tracers. My grandmother gave us two of them when I was a kid and I think they were my dad's in the late 60's. It was black and gray with a cocking lever that stuck out of the side. The action was basically a big rubber band attached to the cocking lever and it had a small hopper on the top and toward the rear. It fired MUCH larger plastic discs than the tracers. They were 3"+ and yellow and hurt like . Darned good range on those things.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I remember all that stuff,I was too big for a big wheel,I wonder how many spare wheels they sold from kids rubbing holes in them doing spinouts
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsor
    The tommy gun set was a bit before my time, but I had an M1 Garrand that shot red plastic bullets with the greenie meanie stickum caps. Single shot(no magazine) but that thing was super cool!
    I also had several hand gun style disc guns and a rifle. IIRC they held close to 20 discs in a pez like integral magazine. They were very futuristc and StarTrekish. Mondo Kool!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Ahhh...the good ole days!!
    "The Day We Lose The Second Amendment Will Be The Day We Start The Second Revolution"
    "I Didn't Vote For Him"!

I wanted a BB gun when I was little, but my mom was worried I'd hurt myself with it. Looking back on some of the stupid things I did with a lack of weaponry, she was probably right. LOL. I did have a cool wooden cowboy revolver that I got when we went to Silver Dollar City while living in Arkansas. Was a little too rough with it though and it started to splinter and crack and we had to get rid of it.

Links