Recs needed on new flat-screen TV - Page 2

Recs needed on new flat-screen TV

This is a discussion on Recs needed on new flat-screen TV within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I myself would lean towards the Sony as I am partial to their TV's and I've never had an issue with any Sony TV I've ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recs needed on new flat-screen TV

I myself would lean towards the Sony as I am partial to their TV's and I've never had an issue with any Sony TV I've ever purchased.

I understand Samsung is rated #1 with Sony a close 2nd. Walmart has a program running on their tv's that has the screen split in half vertically. You can see the difference in the two pics at the same time. One shows HD at 1080 I believe and the other half show non-hd?? Anyway, it also show how well the motion option works to keep fast action sports pics from smearing. Great sales pitch. I also saw the same program being used in CompUSA and Comp had great prices and salesmen who knew the products. I have an old Sony that has not gave me any problems in 8 years. Happy Shopping!!
    Glock G22 .40 Cal.
    SA 1911 A-1 .45 ACP

Hey, I subscribe to Consumer Reports and they did a fantastic review on flat-screens. I scanned it into a pdf file a while back and gave it to a few grateful friends. Here's a copy for you, if you like. It's 8mb, so may take a few seconds to download: TV Recommendations from Consumer Reports

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Hey, I subscribe to Consumer Reports and they did a fantastic review on flat-screens. I scanned it into a pdf file a while back and gave it to a few grateful friends. Here's a copy for you, if you like. It's 8mb, so may take a few seconds to download: TV Recommendations from Consumer Reports-
    Great info! Thanks Chevy, good read.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but one of the most important things to consider is viewing distance. Why? Because the further away you are from the screen, the less detail you can see. Imagine that you see your neighbor's television through the window, when you are standing 50 feet away, on the sidewalk. Can you tell if he's watching a Blu-Ray disc or a DVD? No. Heck, it could be VHS at that distance and you wouldn't know the difference.

How close do you need to be in order to distinguish between High Definition and 'regular', old-fashioned, standard definition programming? It is a combination of viewing distance and screen size. The further away you are, the bigger the screen has to be, before your eyes would appreciate any difference between a VHS tape and a Blu-Ray disc or HD programming from a cable box. Obviously, if your TV is the size of a movie theatre screen, you probably could stand 50 feet away and see all the detail that is present in an HD source.

But if you're determined to sit 12 feet away from a 32 inch screen, "High Definition" isn't going to do a thing for you. No way, no how. You've got to change one of the variables, i.e. distance or screen size. If you stick with a 32" screen, you would need to sit closer than 8 feet from the screen to appreciate a 720p set. You would need to sit closer than 6 feet away to appreciate a 1080p set.

On the other hand, if you simply cannot move closer than 12 feet, you would need to enlarge the screen to 40 inches (or bigger) to appreciate a 720p set or get a 60 inch (or bigger) screen to appreciate 1080p content.

Here is a chart that might help. http://hd.engadget.com/2006/12/09/10...o-screen-size/

If you don't choose a proper viewing distance and correlated screen size, it's just not going to matter all that much which brand or type of TV you buy. You might as well buy the cheapest you can find. They will all give you a similar picture (what your eyes actually see) to that old bulky CRT type television that you may be replacing. The screen might be a little shorter, though. And, they are easier to move around.
    Last edited by stanislaskasava; July 22nd, 2010 at 12:25 AM.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    I myself would lean towards the Sony as I am partial to their TV's and I've never had an issue with any Sony TV I've ever purchased.
    We had a Sony trinitron before we bought our Visio (my personal suggestion) and had nothing but trouble with it from day one! Only lasted 5 years before the color started to go... we had to suffer with it for another 2 before we had the disposable income to upgrade (more credit than income, but still). I will never buy another sony product (except PlayStation) since our tuner died 2 weeks after we ditched the tv and had to replace that too. (Yamaha, by the way, $300 5.1, not integrated dvd, so has 6 audio in, also HDMI in and out so, it can function as HD switch box for video too!)

And if your cabinet is 34" across, then that should allow a 37" tv? Unless it is 34" diagonal, in which case, I would consider ditching it so as to make full use of your $600 budget with a bigger screen.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links