Recs needed on new flat-screen TV

This is a discussion on Recs needed on new flat-screen TV within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Looking to purchase a new flat-screen, any Teckies out there in DC land with recommendations on what to buy? This is my first big flat-screen. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking to purchase a new flat-screen, any Teckies out there in DC land with recommendations on what to buy? This is my first big flat-screen.

Size would be 32" to fit the corner cabinet in the den. I watch the weather/news, a show every now & then, football and a DVD once a week. No other use like gaming or blue-ray. I sit approx 12ft from set.

Hoping to keep the cost under $600. Searching the net and talking to Not so Best Buy people have left me confused

Recs, advice and suggestions much appreciated, Thanks.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Samsung makes some of the better LCD tvs.

$444 and free shipping.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889102322

I buy most of my electronics through newegg.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    OK, First off, 32", is that across, or diagonal, if it is diagonal, is it diagonal with the old screen, or the new one?

Once you have that figured out, there are a few musts to keep in mind. All of the new tvs claim to be HD, but the fact is that there are several layers to that... you say no gaming, no blue ray, but you do watch football. Do you have cable or the dish? Or are you watching broadcast?

If it is cable, you will have to purchase the HD channels, or you will have a heck of a time getting it setup to not look bad... it will either not use the whole screen, or zoom in and cut off the score, or it will stretch everything out and make everyone look like "Fat Albert"

So, now that you have designated a reason to go for true HD, you may as well ensure that you go with 1080 as opposed to 720. Just looks better. Try for 120 hz refresh, most currently made are 60 and it could look better. Also, the higher the color contrast, the better!

With all that in mind, you will find the best deals at WalMart..On my last visit, I saw a 42" Visio (same brand I have, all I can do is rave about it) for under $600, so, I am sure that you will find something to fit your bill there. If you are getting the cable upgrde, don't forget your HDMI cable to make it look its best.

Good luck, feel free to PM me if you have any more questions that I might be able to help you out with

~B~
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

First let me get this out of the way. Do not purchase your HDMI cables from a local store. I get mine from Amazon, link is below. They are a tad more than what I paid for mine at the time but I've never had a problem with any of the 5 I've ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

As for the TV do your research and read reviews on the sets you like. Also read this. It is very informative. http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...yths_shattered

I have a Sony that is almost 3 years old. Not a single problem but my computer LCD is a Samsung and they do make a beautiful display as well. I also like some of the Toshiba sets too.

I like to make a large purchase at a retail store because if something is wrong I can return it that day but lots of people do order online without issues.

CCWFlaRuger is correct about purchasing HD. new widescreen TV's do not work great with standard definition channels. What I did in college (no HD) is leave the black borders on the sides.

This chart is excellent:
    http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

It shows when a higher definition TV will be noticeable. with a 32" TV, the difference between 720p (HD) and 1080p (true HD) isn't noticeable until you are about 6 feet or closer to the TV.

The thing you might notice between 60hz and 120hz is when watching movies. they are generally recorded at 24 frames per second. On a 60hz monitor, it refreshes 60 frames per second. 24 doesn't go into 60hz as nicely, so they typically blend together some extra frames to make it match. 24 frames does go into 120hz evenly, so each frame from the movie is just on the screen for 5 cycles then changed. This can improve "judders" in pictures. Chances are the average person has never noticed this unless someone pointed it out though. Videos (digital) are being recorded now at 30fps, so they will look fine on either refresh rate. TV is broadcast at 30fps.

WalMart does have some great deals too.

EDIT:
    Over the past few years I've spent close to $8k on Newegg (building computers for people, etc.) had probably 5-6 parts that didn't work. Every time they've given me a shipping label and shipped me a new part. A friend ordered a wrong cable, cost was maybe $10 plus shipping. He emailed them, they refunded his money and told him to not worry about sending it back. I've done business with a few other online vendors and had a few problems, but all of them worked out to my satisfaction though.
    Last edited by thephanatik; July 20th, 2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Didn't want to make another post.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Looking to purchase a new flat-screen, any Teckies out there in DC land with recommendations on what to buy? This is my first big flat-screen.

Size would be 32" to fit the corner cabinet in the den. I watch the weather/news, a show every now & then, football and a DVD once a week. No other use like gaming or blue-ray. I sit approx 12ft from set.

Hoping to keep the cost under $600. Searching the net and talking to Not so Best Buy people have left me confused

Recs, advice and suggestions much appreciated, Thanks.
    My question to you is do you want and LCD or the newer LED tv? 1080p is the norm. I got a great deal at target. Bought a 42" Philips LCD tv for $385. How? Well I went to a target and the sale price for the tv I bought was 500, normal price was 850 or so. When they went to the back to see if they had any more I was informed that they didn't. I asked could I buy the shelf model which was on the shelf a month. He said yes and sold it to me for $385. And hell yes I took it immediately cuz some other dude was eye balling it at the same time. It works great and I love it.

I can personally vouch for Toshiba and Sony. I have a Samsung also but it isn't as old. Philips is pretty good too.

Good luck finding a TV.

Look here for SUPER CHEAP HDMI cables http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10240. I've ordered a couple HDMI cables from them and they work just like they should.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

I just bought an LG a few months ago...spring for the 240 Hz refresh, it is the way the TVs will begoing and your 120 will be the old stuff. LOL here is what I have.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-42LH55-42-I...720351&sr=8-11
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I have a 32" Visio. I can't say anything bad about it. Cost only around $380 at Wal Mart and has a good picture. It'l 60 hertz but only 720p. I like it though
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    To me, you're not going to get much benefit from HD with a mere 32" screen, but maybe your den is small. I have a 42" and wish I had bought a 52" (which they're now selling for the same price). Do alot of research on the net and become familiar with the features such as refresh rate, etc. Compare the features between Plasma and LCD and definitely compare pictures side by side if possible. I found many features were significantly better on Plasma, including a screen life of over 100,000 hrs.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

There is a lot of good advice above.
    Let me add, there are many formats. First. Plasma. Great picture, blacks are sharp. The problem is the shiny screen which makes it sensitive to reflections and watching in daylight. Plasma's also put off a LOT of heat and consume more power.
    LCD. More non-reflective screen, but not as contrasty as plasma.
    LED. Maybe the best of both worlds if you can find a good deal. Too new to give a long term test.
    Resolution: I'd only get 1080P. There's three formats. 720P which means the screen has 720 lines and they are scanned one after another top to bottom. 1080i. 1080 lines, scanned interlaced, meaning the set will scan the odd lines then repeat with the even lines. It reduces perceived flicker to your eye. 1080P is the best of both, but there is very little programming in 1080P. (what is available is stunning). I think the industry is moving that way. Any set will convert all formats. I work in the broadcast industry and I can tell you we do NFL in 720P. Some clients want 1080i and we have to up-convert.
    Get the fastest refresh rate you can for the money. Get the biggest contrast ratio to get deep blacks.
    It's all a compromise if you have a budget. (I have a Sharp Aquos, it's very good but sometimes it's not perfect.)
    Keep in mind that a 32" HD will have a smaller picture than a 32" tube. (Because it's wider, it has less height for a given measurement.) Go shopping with a tape measure.
    I'd get as big as I could afford. Look at brands that have the speakers under the screen, and as small a frame as possible. You'll get a bigger screen in the same space.
    Shop for HDMI cables, don't buy Monster (waste).
    How many HDMI inputs the set has doesn't really matter much. I have 5 and I use 1. (DVD)
    Audio out is a plus. Put it into your surround system. (We work very hard for that great surround sound) Everyone I know uses 5.1 for sports, so getting a 7.1 or 9.1 surround is way overkill. (I've got a 6.1system at home, and I've never heard a peep from the rear center.)
    Put your money in a subwoofer and a good front center. Scrimp on rear surround speakers if you must.
    That's my 2 cents.

I want to thank everyone for spending time to respond, lots of good info & links to glean from.

My corner cabinet is 34" wide witch limits me to a 32" TV. It looks like viewing a 32" LCD @ more than 8ft one can't tell the difference between 720p & 1080p resolution.

Stopped in an other Wally World today found a larger selection than the first store. Six different makes vs two in the 32" size. Made some notes, please let me know what you think. All around $400, give or take $30 bucks with 720p

1) Samsung c350 35K:1 contrast ratio

2) LG LD350........ 70K:1

3) Sony BX300.... 100K:1

4) Vizio VL.......... 100K:1

5) Sanyo 670...... 130K:1

What is the better make/value with least problems and good customer service? Should I spend $30 to extend the warranty for 2 yrs? What brand would you stay away from? Thanks!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I would stay away from Sanyo. Vizio uses LCD screens made by LG. All but Sanyo are respectable brands that I would have no problem purchasing.

I have a Viso 32 inch that stays outside works great even in bright light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links