Temporarily expatriated to France!

This is a discussion on Temporarily expatriated to France! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by CT-Mike pcon/Bark'n, The wife and I spent two weeks in Europe last fall visiting WWII/D-day sights. The new (2007z0 visitor center at ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temporarily expatriated to France!

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    pcon/Bark'n,

The wife and I spent two weeks in Europe last fall visiting WWII/D-day sights. The new (2007z0 visitor center at the Omaha Beach cemetery is not to be missed. A walk in the Bois Jacques woods overlooking Foy and seeing the foxholes where Easy Company spent the Battle of the Bulge is also something that can not be properly described by words.

I highly recommend a trip to all who are able, you will not soon forget it.
    I was certainly wanting to see Foy and the Normandy and Omaha beaches. There are several WWII sights I want to see in fact. I'm tempted to do a bus tour from Paris, but it's just so darn pricey.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    If I ever get the chance to visit Europe, and France specifically, I would make the effort to visit the memorial and military cemetery at Normandy to pay my respects to all those who sacrificed their life in the D-Day Invasion.
    Absolutely! Unlike our President, I would make it my number ONE priority!

+1
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    pcon/Bark'n,

The wife and I spent two weeks in Europe last fall visiting WWII/D-day sights. The new (2007z0 visitor center at the Omaha Beach cemetery is not to be missed. A walk in the Bois Jacques woods overlooking Foy and seeing the foxholes where Easy Company spent the Battle of the Bulge is also something that can not be properly described by words.

I highly recommend a trip to all who are able, you will not soon forget it.
    Roger That.

Personally, my only reason for even wanting or having a need to visit Europe would be to visit WWII historical sites. It is something I would like to do before I die.

Now more than ever, since my son-in-law is from Belgium, I may be able to make a trip like that. When traveling overseas, it's always more enjoyable when you have a close friend or relative who can be your personal tour guide. You get to see some really special places which are off the beaten path.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Several things about France. (I lived there for three years) First the French are not an aggressive people. The North African immigrants however can be. If you speak English in public you are targeted immediately. This only happens in the larger cities (Paris, Marseilles, Lille, Lyon). The most dangerous areas are the Metro at night. Most everywhere else this is not the case.

Petty crimes are common. If you leave something unattended you are tempting the devil to take it. This includes locked and guarded parking areas. Take everything of any value out of the car.

Parisians in my experience are nice to you if you have money to spend. If you are not willing to spend money they won't give you the time of day. Don't take it personal, they do this to everyone, even other Frenchmen.

If you know any French, use it. The people will appreciate your efforts in trying to speak their language. Most Frenchmen know how to speak English but they are brutalized as youngsters for screwing up French and therefore are terrified of making mistakes in any language.

Take the opportunity to visit Belgium and the Netherlands. These countries are very American friendly. There is a great deal of history and the people are great.

If you want any more info, let me know. I traveled all over the country in my three years there. (I moved seven times) There are parts of the experience that I would not trade for anything. Other parts I would never like to repeat.

Most of all..Enjoy. You will appreciate America with all of her faults, more for the experience.

Cheers.

VIP Member
    I spent a week at the Club Med in Opio, near Nice a few years back. It's a gorgeous spot up in the hills in the olive groves.

It's a great place to spend a few days and unwind, if you get the chance.

Oh, and the Club Med food and entertainment?????
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Pcon,

I think a poll is necessary for this thread on what is worse :

A: Traveling "sans" handguns.

B. Going to France.

My answer is "B"
    Have you ever actually been?
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Actually, no, I have not. Most of the "French" that I have encountered leave me longing to stay in the United States of America for multitudes of reasons.

But if going to France is your thing, then more power to you. I prefer to stay home.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Actually, no, I have not. Most of the "French" that I have encountered leave me longing to stay in the United States of America for multitudes of reasons.

But if going to France is your thing, then more power to you. I prefer to stay home.

It's actually really not that bad. Everyone I have encountered has been very friendly and helpful. I haven't had one truly "negative" experience here yet. sure, there have been times where I thought "that wouldn't happen in the States", but that's more of a cultural thing than a personal thing. Really, don't knock it until you rock it.

I like it so far.

That said, I'll be happy to get home when it comes time.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Pcon,

I think a poll is necessary for this thread on what is worse :

A: Traveling "sans" handguns.

B. Going to France.

My answer is "B"
    +1

My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links