Temporarily expatriated to France!

This is a discussion on Temporarily expatriated to France! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey guys, sorry I've been missing for quite some time. Some may remember awhile back I posted about leaving guns with friends/family if you were ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temporarily expatriated to France!

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

Temporarily expatriated to France!

Hey guys, sorry I've been missing for quite some time. Some may remember awhile back I posted about leaving guns with friends/family if you were going out of the country. Well, we're here! My wife and I are going to be living in Serris, France for the next 7 weeks for training for her job. I left my shotgun and pieces of my pistol locked in a case with a very trusted friend in Michigan. I say pieces because I took the pistol apart and only brought some of the pieces to Michigan. That way, it is as defunct as I would imagine it would be.

Serris is just about 1 mile from Euro Disney, about an hour due east of Paris. We arrived Sunday morning. Yesterday, I went down to Paris and did some sightseeing. I was surprised at how beautiful it was!

Anywho...just wanted to poke in and apologize for going off the grid recently. I've visited often, just hadn't been posting anything.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

Pcon,

I think a poll is necessary for this thread on what is worse :

A: Traveling "sans" handguns.

B. Going to France.

My answer is "B"
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

ha, I wish I could add a poll now JoJo. I know it's only been a couple of days, but so far, it's so not bad really.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

One doesn't need guns while in France, just a white flag...

Really pcon, enjoy your trip and do post some pics.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Have fun and stay safe over there!

Oh, and it you want to have some fun over there, go to a nice restaurant and ask for some french toast, french fries and a salad with french dressing. Be ready to duck when things start getting thrown at you!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    One doesn't need guns while in France, just a white flag...

Really pcon, enjoy your trip and do post some pics.
    Hey Ret, if you're interested I've put them all up on photobucket and also started a blog with some.

blog - www.s7a71c.wordpress.com
    photos: Paris Photos
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    ha, I wish I could add a poll now JoJo. I know it's only been a couple of days, but so far, it's so not bad really.
    Actually, France is a great country to visit. Paris is a wonderful city with plenty to see. Ride the Metro, eat the food, go to the Louvre, see all the sights and take many pics. The French are and always will be the French, and as such are not a bad sort in my experience.

I second the "visit the Louvre" idea. You will NEVER have another chance to see some of the works by world renowned artists in person. (Of course, getting close enough to actually see them might entail a few elbows jabs to get the art students out of the way... )

I have never had the opportunity to visit the Louvre but it's on my fantasy bucket list.

I was STUCK in France several years ago due to one of there famous strikes. I have some not so nice things to say about France. But I got the chance to chase a Police car. Yep, I chased them. Will explain later in detail if anybody wishes to hear. They had the cute little spinning blue light and the wawa siren. I loved Euro Disney. Small park. You need 1 day during the week to see all and skip the weekend lines to long. IMHO Euro space mountain rocks. It is like rock n roll coast in Epcot.

Go see the sights. The Louvre is something to see. Mona Lisa not so much. My sister who was traveling with my wife and myself went to the Louvre a few days into the strike and there were no security guards. They walked out. They shut down the Louvre later that day.

Do NOT walk from Notre Dame to the Eiffel tower. It is not just right there.

Take a trip to Venice.

Go see The Vatican. As a Jew I was blown away but the size of The Vatican. It is impressive that they built and painted everything but hand. Some of the most beautiful things to see.

Travel around Europe and see as much as you can. Definitely go to Rome and the Vatican, check out the ancient roman stuff, its pretty aww inspiring. Also you can get pretty cheap flights out of Paris airports so take this opportunity to see what you want in Europe and in France. So my advice enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    Hey Ret, if you're interested I've put them all up on photobucket and also started a blog with some.
    Very nice photography...nicely done! Thanks!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Actually, France, and Paris, are beautiful. The people are generally very nice (perhaps a wee bit cool initially), but you should relax and have a grand time. The French are direct, but don't be put off by that. The Louvre, and the deOrsay! Of course, enjoy the food too! A cane can be a great personal security measure, and may get you into museums faster. Learn a few words of French, smile, and you'll have a blast! What's not to like - France on the Company ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Do NOT walk from Notre Dame to the Eiffel tower. It is not just right there.
    Ha, made that mistake my first time out there. "Well, I'm not sure where I am, but I can see the Eiffel Tower and if I can see it....so...." That was a fun walk. I'm going back out today, map in hand! I didn't have a map that first time. Should be easier to get there.

Where we're staying is called Serris. It's about a mile or so from Disneyland. Touristy area. I think we may be doing the park on Saturday?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

If I ever get the chance to visit Europe, and France specifically, I would make the effort to visit the memorial and military cemetery at Normandy to pay my respects to all those who sacrificed their life in the D-Day Invasion.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    pcon/Bark'n,

The wife and I spent two weeks in Europe last fall visiting WWII/D-day sights. The new (2007z0 visitor center at the Omaha Beach cemetery is not to be missed. A walk in the Bois Jacques woods overlooking Foy and seeing the foxholes where Easy Company spent the Battle of the Bulge is also something that can not be properly described by words.

I highly recommend a trip to all who are able, you will not soon forget it.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links