Noticed something odd with my home phone/DSL

This is a discussion on Noticed something odd with my home phone/DSL within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Last night, actually early this morning, I noticed that the "In Use" light was lit up on my home phone base unit. I have DSL ...

Thread: Noticed something odd with my home phone/DSL

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Question Noticed something odd with my home phone/DSL

Last night, actually early this morning, I noticed that the "In Use" light was lit up on my home phone base unit. I have DSL so the dial-up modem was not in use.

My phone handset did not show any incoming call and its display was not lit up.

I hit the 'Talk" button while the "In Use" light was still lit and I had no dial tone.

I hit the "End" button to cancel the handset and the "In Use" light went off.

Just a few minutes ago I glanced over to my base unit and noticed the "In Use" light go off. I did not see how long it was lit up.

What the heck is causing this?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

Ghosts in the system...free radicals...
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

If you have satellite TV it could be the receiver calling the mother ship for a normal check in.

VIP Member
    If you are on AT&T they have been having trouble with their system in the southeast, about 10:00pm I finally got my cell service back.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Gremlins!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Have you wrapped your head in tin foil? We cannot say anything else until your thoughts are protected.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Administrator
    Mine updates itself every night at 0 dark thirty. That is exactly what mine does during the update process.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    the light turns on whenever there is a drop in the line voltage. This is designed to happen whenever you pick up a phone and the like. If your wiring is old, wet, damaged, or? there is a possibility there is too much drop in voltage over the line and it appears in use. Mine used to happen whenever it would rain really hard. If it doesn't cause any problems, don't worry about it. Newer wiring might help improve your internet speeds.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

It's the government turning on its secret spy apparatus in homes of people who have firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    If you have satellite TV it could be the receiver calling the mother ship for a normal check in.
    +1 with another note added. It shouldn't update update from the mother ship more than one time that day. Not sure of your setup, but another possibility could be a fax machine if also hooked up to your line? If you can make sure that these aren't the issue, one of the last possibilities is that it's simply a bad phone line connection. A short in the line anywhere that this specific phone number is, will cause the phone to go "Off Hook" and you may get static or crackly sounding dialtone. This means that it could be anything from bad wiring in a jack, the wire itself damaged, line cords to all phones, the phone itself and anything else in the circuit. If this happens constantly, go out to your NID, (Network Interface Device) aka "The Gray Box" on the side of your house and open it up. On the right side, there should be the customer access area where you can unplug the test jack, (close to where all of your house wires come in and are all connected to the box) and plug in a good old fashioned phone that you don't need an electrical outlet to plug in to and operate. You should also try and eliminate any Wall Mart or Radio Shack "splitters" or "couplings" for inside phone cords. Those are bad for DSL anyways, they always seem to kill it. And if you have DSL filters that you have to plug into each phone jack, inline with the phone cords, then the problem could also be in those. Again, that's depending on your setup. Some NIDs have built in DSL filters. Basically, if you can go out to your NID, and get to know where each one of those lines go to what room in the house, you can usually eliminate the problem, taking one line out of the NID at a time if you are hooked up on the "home run" system and the phone jacks aren't run in series. One line in the house can have a problem in it that will shut down the entire circuit. So it makes sense that if you can eliminate that line or piece of equipment then your service will come back.

One last note: If you happen to get into the NID and plug into the "test jack" and your problem doesn't go away then you need to call your local carrier and create a trouble ticket with them. In that case, it is the phone company's problem and they need to fix it at no cost to you.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    It's the government turning on its secret spy apparatus in homes of people who have firearms.
    What firearms?!?

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    +1 with another note added. It shouldn't update update from the mother ship more than one time that day. Not sure of your setup, but another possibility could be a fax machine if also hooked up to your line? If you can make sure that these aren't the issue, one of the last possibilities is that it's simply a bad phone line connection. A short in the line anywhere that this specific phone number is, will cause the phone to go "Off Hook" and you may get static or crackly sounding dialtone. This means that it could be anything from bad wiring in a jack, the wire itself damaged, line cords to all phones, the phone itself and anything else in the circuit. If this happens constantly, go out to your NID, (Network Interface Device) aka "The Gray Box" on the side of your house and open it up. On the right side, there should be the customer access area where you can unplug the test jack, (close to where all of your house wires come in and are all connected to the box) and plug in a good old fashioned phone that you don't need an electrical outlet to plug in to and operate. You should also try and eliminate any Wall Mart or Radio Shack "splitters" or "couplings" for inside phone cords. Those are bad for DSL anyways, they always seem to kill it. And if you have DSL filters that you have to plug into each phone jack, inline with the phone cords, then the problem could also be in those. Again, that's depending on your setup. Some NIDs have built in DSL filters. Basically, if you can go out to your NID, and get to know where each one of those lines go to what room in the house, you can usually eliminate the problem, taking one line out of the NID at a time if you are hooked up on the "home run" system and the phone jacks aren't run in series. One line in the house can have a problem in it that will shut down the entire circuit. So it makes sense that if you can eliminate that line or piece of equipment then your service will come back.

One last note: If you happen to get into the NID and plug into the "test jack" and your problem doesn't go away then you need to call your local carrier and create a trouble ticket with them. In that case, it is the phone company's problem and they need to fix it at no cost to you.
    Nothing satellite here. Its just home DSL with my phone service. I will check for water or something interfering with the line.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Links