One Light Bulb at a Time (NOT a joke)

This is a discussion on One Light Bulb at a Time (NOT a joke) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just got this in an e-mail. Please note that I have *NOT* personally confirmed this, but it does make sense if true. Originally Posted ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Light Bulb at a Time (NOT a joke)

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

One Light Bulb at a Time (NOT a joke)

I just got this in an e-mail. Please note that I have *NOT* personally confirmed this, but it does make sense if true.

Quote Originally Posted by From E-Mail
    A physics teacher in high school, once told the students that while one grasshopper on the railroad tracks wouldn't slow a train very much, a billion of them would. With that thought in mind, read the following, obviously written by a good American ..

Good idea .. . one light bulb at a time . . . .

Check this out . I can verify this because I was in Lowes the other day for some reason and just for the heck of it I was looking at the hose attachments . They were all made in China . The next day I was in Ace Hardware and just for the heck of it I checked the hose
    attachments there. They were made in USA . Start looking ..

In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do affects someone else - even their job . So, after reading this email, I think this lady is on the right track . Let's get behind her!

My grandson likes Hershey's candy . I noticed, though, that it is marked made in Mexico now... I do not buy it any more.
    My favorite toothpaste Colgate is made in Mexico ... now I have switched to Crest. You have to read the labels on everything ..

This past weekend I was at Kroger. I needed 60 W light bulbs and Bounce dryer sheets . I was in the light bulb aisle, and right next to the GE brand I normally buy was an off-brand labeled, "Everyday Value ... " I picked up both types of bulbs and compared the stats -
    they were the same except for the price .. The GE bulbs were more money than the Everyday Value brand but the thing that surprised me the most was the fact that GE was made in MEXICO and the Everyday Value brand was made in - get ready for this - the USA in
    a company in Cleveland , Ohio .

So throw out the myth that you cannot find products you use every day that are made right here ..

So on to another aisle - Bounce Dryer Sheets . ... . yep, you guessed it, bounce cost more money and is made in Canada .. The Everyday Value brand was less money and MADE IN THE USA ! I did laundry yesterday and the dryer sheets performed just like the Bounce Free I have been using
    for years and at almost half the price!

My challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for everyday things and see what you can find that is made in the USA - the job you save may be your own or your neighbors!

If you accept the challenge, pass this on to others in your address book so we can all start buying American, one light bulb at a time! Stop buying from overseas companies!

(We should have awakened a decade ago .. . .. . .. . )
    Let's get with the program . .. . .. help our fellow Americans keep their jobs and create more jobs here in the U . S . A ..

I Passed this on ......... will you ???????
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

Definately food for thought. I'm gonna start doing it more, some things will be unavoidable.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    ....some things will be unavoidable.
    Absolutely. There are some things that simply haven't been made in this country in 30+ years.

-miklcolt45

It's amazing what you can find, if you take a look

It's amazing what you can find that is made right in this country, if you just take a moment and look at the labels.

Sure, some things you just can't find that are made in the U.S.A. For those, we usually buy "USED". That way, at least our cash stays right here.

If we just can't find it, we have a "Fair Trade Jar" and put 1/4 of the price of the item in the jar. At the end of the year, we donate the contents of the jar to one an appropriate cause...

a family tried to go china free once, and documented it...it was a futile attempt...also Isolationism is a very bad economic policy as well.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

At least I can say 90% of All my Firearms are (MADE IN USA) ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Administrator
    Some knowledgeable advice....don't buy anything GE either. I can't get into "why" without violating our politics rule but, I will say that GE is no friend of a freedom loving America.

They are neck deep in Cap & Trade and Carbon Credit doo-doo and underhanded dealings with this administration.

And they are also an integral part of the forth estate that has become the fifth column and they own the news that gives Americans NO News. .

Google search "the forth estate has become the fifth column."

So, I guess no one will be buying any more firearms from Glock, Springfield Armory, Browning, FN, Beretta, Norinco, Kalashnikov, H&K, CZ, Saiga, Rock Island Armory, Benelli, Sako, Taurus, Walther, etc., etc., etc.

And definitely no more ammo from Wolf, Silver Bear, Sellier & Bellot, etc., etc., etc. . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    So, I guess no one will be buying any more firearms from Glock, Springfield Armory, Browning, FN, Beretta, Norinco, Kalashnikov, H&K, CZ, Saiga, Rock Island Armory, Benelli, Sako, Taurus, Walther, etc., etc., etc.

And definitely no more ammo from Wolf, Silver Bear, Sellier & Bellot, etc., etc., etc. . . .
    I don't think the OP is saying don't buy from anywhere but the US. I think the point is, when you have a choice, look at labels and have place of manufacture enter into the choice.

If it was a choice for me between $3 for generic light bulbs made in the US and $5 for name brand light bulbs made in Mexico, I'm choosing the $3 bulbs. (Mostly because I'm a cheap-skate, but now I can show my wife that it's helping my neighbor too! hee hee)

Now, when it was a choice is between a Springfield or a Hi-Point, I picked the Springfield because that's what I wanted. To be honest, I didn't even look at Hi-Point when I was looking for my latest pistol because I knew what I wanted.

The point is, if you are trying to choose between 2 or more options, Made in the USA could help make the choice.
    Last edited by Tye_Defender; July 22nd, 2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Some knowledgeable advice....don't buy anything GE either. I can't get into "why" without violating our politics rule but, I will say that GE is no friend of a freedom loving America.

They are neck deep in Cap & Trade and Carbon Credit doo-doo and underhanded dealings with this administration.

And they are also an integral part of the forth estate that has become the fifth column and they own the news that gives Americans NO News. .

Google search "the forth estate has become the fifth column."

Your right on the money QKShooter!! GE's furture depends on you "redistributing the wealth". Al Gores favorite company.

So would a Mexican built Chevy be bad but a Texas built Toyota Tundra be good? I bought a Honda Goldwing used, but since they are built in Ohio is it ok to buy a new one? Soooooo confusing!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Try and fight, but we live in a 21st century global economy.

Buy less oil. Walk, bike, email, live close to work, get a smaller house, insulate it, buy less crap, go to garage sales, use what you have got, give gifts that are not junk...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I sold Nissans for about six years, so I don't want anyone misunderstanding my post. It's also very confusing these days about what's made where, and personally, I think it's disgusting how the Big Three automakers use peoples' patriotism against them.

But I do think it's a shame that there's very little manufacturing done here anymore.

-miklcolt45

I've noticed that many household products we use daily don't tell you where they are made anymore. They say "distributed by <x company> in New York, New York" or another city. Like Hershey is no longer produced in PA but the package says "distributed by the hershey company, Hershey PA." When we know they moved to Mexico. So it seems they hide the origin of the product to prevent you from scrutinizing what you purchase based on the place of manufacture. I've also noticed that many products might say "Made in U.S.A" What happened to "Made in THE U.S.A"? I mean the country I live in is The United States of America, meaning the one and only.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I've noticed that many household products we use daily don't tell you where they are made anymore. They say "distributed by <x company> in New York, New York" or another city. Like Hershey is no longer produced in PA but the package says "distributed by the hershey company, Hershey PA." When we know they moved to Mexico. So it seems they hide the origin of the product to prevent you from scrutinizing what you purchase based on the place of manufacture. I've also noticed that many products might say "Made in U.S.A" What happened to "Made in THE U.S.A"? I mean the country I live in is The United States of America, meaning the one and only.
    I agree. Tough to tell on some products. Least my ammo (and yours, judging by your avatar) is made in THE U.S.A.!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links