Army Folks Give Me Your Opinions!

This is a discussion on Army Folks Give Me Your Opinions! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok so tommorrow my recruiter is coming to pick me up to take my ASVAB and such. Im not ready to sign the dotted line ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Army Folks Give Me Your Opinions!

Army Folks Give Me Your Opinions!

Ok so tommorrow my recruiter is coming to pick me up to take my ASVAB and such. Im not ready to sign the dotted line yet nor raise my right hand.

Im curious what your experiance was in the army. Im going in most likely for MP.

I want your opinions on how the army treated you. As you can imagine im sorta hyped about joinin but I must also do good reasearch before making my committment!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Well I did about 21(1964-1985) years and for the most part I'd do it again. Needless to say there are always those periods where you wished you were someplace else..... But you can find those in civilian life too.

If you go in make sure you take advantage of everything you can get. I went in a high school dropout and left with a MS from USC, our rich Uncle paying for the bulk of the tuition. Since you are basically giving up most of your civil rights you might as well get the most out of it.

Good luck!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

In MY opinion: Avoid the Mop Pushers...MUD PUPPIES...MP! (apologies to the MPs out there).

You want fun AND survivability? Armor all the way..and not the Cav, either. Go for the heavies...the M1A1 Abrams.

I was an infantry officer for ten years and then I spent 4 years in tanks. Hands down I wish I had gone armor from the start! Look, everybody hates MP's just like they hate cops.

On post, MPs perform law enforcement duties. They give tickets for violating the 20mph speed limit on post. They give DUI's by hanging out around the Officer's Clubs and NCO/Enlisted Clubs. Any of those offenses is a career killer. Most soldiers don't like or appreciate MP's. Forget real crime...that's handled by C.I.D. Detectives & the FBI. Remember it's a federal installation. Any crime, even speeding is a federal offense.

In combat, MP's are responsible for certain security functions like convoy security (life expectancy in Iraq is quite short for convoy duty) and more importantly POWs and refugees.

I don't know about you but I think rolling thru and over terrain in a 70 ton rolling juggernaut of whispering death with the ability to kill targets 4 THOUSAND meters away before you are even seen or detected to be pretty kewl....but maybe that's just me. Oh, did I mention the overpressure system that's designed to keep OUT chemical agents?

MP's have none of that stuff. They've gotta suffer with the MOPP suit and gas mask and then try to conduct operations on foot. In desert heat. MP's man checkpoints. They serve as security guards for the TOC (Tactical Operations Center) They check IDs. Sound exciting yet?

In Armor, either you're out there killing the enemy or you're pulling vehicle maintenance to keep it's killing power in top shape. But there's not a lot of other BS to deal with. You're taking the ASVAB so I would assume you're going to be an enlisted man. I got out as a very senior captain and I had the most fun I've ever had in my life in armor and they say it's not near the fun the armor crewmen have. I believe that. Drivers and gunners...man...I had to run the platoon, talk to folks both higher and lower and be the coordinator. The gunners they got to shoot. The drivers got to flatten anything in their paths. Yeah when I was training...I had to perform ALL the positions. Rolling across the terrian..feeling durn near invincible....it was a RUSH.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    "Since you are basically giving up most of your civil rights you might as well get the most out of it."

I think Rstickle brought up a point you should not take lightly. The military can do some great things for you, but they do come at a hefty price. Oh and don't forget, If it ain't in writing (And you have a copy of it) It did'nt happen, If a recruiter's lips are moving there's a 90% chance it's smoke. Oh, and never ever eat Charms when you're in the field.....

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    You want fun AND survivability? Armor all the way..and not the Cav, either. Go for the heavies...the M1A1 Abrams. .

Always tons of entries in newspaper CLASSIFIEDS: "Now hiring M1 crewmen"

Overall, A good experience, one I'll never forget.
    MP would probably be a good headstart to a career in civilian LE but as stated, life expectancy isn't real good for MP's, other good advice that has already been given, take advantage of any programs that you can.

They will try to brainwash you but they're nowhere near as successful as The Marines in that.

Whatever your choice, best of luck to you.

It's not what you did in the military, it is what you have become.

True, there are alot of jobs that doesn't have a civilian counterpart. There is no need for heavy armor or even for sniper duty, unless you become an LEO (and not a shot at LEO's, think SWAT, they do deploy such arms).

No, the biggest part of the military is what they teach you, not only your job but about all aspects of life. And what they teach you shows once you leave the service. Be it only one term or until retirement.

MP, will equate to an LEO type job or even a Federal position. Not a bad way to go if you are inclined to do so. Gives you a "foot" in the door. You're young, your life is in front of you, you are taking off on the right foot IMHO. But, I am former Air Force so therefore, I am bias.

Some of the things that I've found in life is that one, you learn, each and every day. Make it a point to learn something that you didn't know. Second, be yourself and do what YOU think is right for you, and ignore those that try to tell you different.

And the main point, do what you think is right for you. I consider the military a stepping stone. My ability to survive no matter what, and the ability to do no matter what, was taught to me through the military. No matter how lazy I wish to become, no matter what little I wish to do, the things I was taught kicks in when I am needed or things need to be done. Weird, but I like that fact that I have that.

The Army will do you well. No matter what you go in as. Learn and take them up on your education, and learn some more.

Bless you my friend, not just for joining the Military, but because you are a man, and you are taking steps forward and being a man.

Im choosing MP because It will benefit me because I want a future FDLE job. What exactly I dont know.

My brother-in-law was an MP. He said it was a hell of a ride and he had a great time doing his job. From what he explained there are two types of MPs Combat and something else. He did combat. The difference between the two is supposedly pretty big although your trained in both.

Im mainly wondering how the service treated you. Not the job in particular. Sitting down in a hot tank in 120 degree weather does not sound appealing to me.

But hey whatever floats your boat.

Lightbulb Being ex-military no longer guarantees you a LEO job

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    MP, will equate to an LEO type job or even a Federal position. Not a bad way to go if you are inclined to do so. Gives you a "foot" in the door.

Some of the things that I've found in life is that one, you learn, each and every day. Make it a point to learn something that you didn't know. Second, be yourself and do what YOU think is right for you, and ignore those that try to tell you different.

And the main point, do what you think is right for you. I consider the military a stepping stone. My ability to survive no matter what, and the ability to do no matter what, was taught to me through the military. No matter how lazy I wish to become, no matter what little I wish to do, the things I was taught kicks in when I am needed or things need to be done. Weird, but I like that fact that I have that.

The Army will do you well. No matter what you go in as. Learn and take them up on your education, and learn some more.

Bless you my friend, not just for joining the Military, but because you are a man, and you are taking steps forward and being a man.
    There is a LOT of good advice here. A lot of wisdom in what Wayne says. It's true that all my training no matter how deeply buried kicks right up to the front when I NEED it. That's what makes us sheepdogs. The advice about learning something NEW everyday is spot on! As a young screwey Looie I was always wandering around places and asking questions. If you're not a jerk or a pest, most folks in the military will be happy to show you some really high speed stuff! I had an ill spent youth...I chose to hang around the Ranger Battalion. My best buddy was an officer there and so they took me in even though I wasn't myself, an airborne ranger.

But I will say this, if you're a former MP it no longer guarantees you any job as a LEO in the civilian world. You'd be in a FAR better position to get yourself a degree in Criminal Justice (I have a BA in Criminal Justice) or better yet...BUSINESS. The FBI is hungering after business majors. That's the definition of high level white collar crime. Wanna join the war on terror at the Federal Level? Follow the terrorists MONEY. A degree in business or accounting. Plus if you get disillusioned with working for our UNCLE, these translate into BIG $$$!

True, what weeg ( ) said is accurate: Not many jobs for armor crewmen in the civilian world. But you know what will get you tons of jobs? LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE. You move along up the ranks. Take over a squad or a section of tanks and THAT translates into jobs. The civilian sheep have damn little concept of what it means to lead...instead of MANAGE. Big difference. Nobody get's managed into battle.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    You want fun AND survivability? Armor all the way..and not the Cav, either. Go for the heavies...the M1A1 Abrams.
    When I was in EOD School they showed us a film of an AT mine taking the turret right off a tank. One of the other SP4's in my class was from Knox.......... After seeing that his study time DOUBLED!! You fail EOD, you went back to where you came from.
    Rick

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    It's not what you did in the military, it is what you have become.

True, there are alot of jobs that doesn't have a civilian counterpart. There is no need for heavy armor or even for sniper duty, unless you become an LEO (and not a shot at LEO's, think SWAT, they do deploy such arms).
    Wayne brings out a good point, I probably should have elaborated.

19 of my 21 years in were spent in Army EOD, if you don't know what that is, EOD is military for bomb disposal. Now being EOD is belonging to a brotherhood that is unequaled anyplace else in the military, but it doesn't necessarily over prepare you for civilian life. I know a couple ex-EOD that are now GSA Police checking IDs at the Pentagon.

The (civilian) education I took advantage of while I was in has gotten me a position as a senior systems engineer at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. Sometimes I wonder what was more fun playing with large amounts of explosives, or helping build and launch some really interesting satellites?

I guess the bottom line is go in, have fun, but come out better then you went in. Work the system to YOUR advantage!
    Rick

Lightbulb Better to be Hot & Alive than Hot and SHREDDED

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger P345
    Sitting down in a hot tank in 120 degree weather does not sound appealing to me.
    How about sitting in a hot HumVee certain in the knowledge that any Hadji with an RPG can slam one thru your guts from 300 meters away and the odds are high you'll only get maimed. I loved the idea that not only is the M1A1 invulnerable to RPGs but anything that stops the tanks also instantly stops me. Maybe that's twisted, but I hated the thought of being maimed or blinded or the loss of a limb. I spend too much time at the VA as it is. In Armor, either you're fine or you're GONE. Period. But those itty bitty Hummers can be stopped by durn near anything. Yeah, the tanks... they can get warm in the desert, but that over pressure system acts like a fan inside the turret.

Just don't think that the MP's automatically translates into LEO work. It's no longer true. Especially if you've served in a combat zone.

Civilian agencies have to think about lawsuit liability.

Combat service sadly becomes some lawyer screaming post traumatic stress syndrome when he sues you and the dept over the shooting you did of that poor misbegotten FELON trying to rip off the local liquor store.

ALL agencies these days require an intensive psychological profile. If you've seen combat, it might be a disqualifier...depending on the incidents and how you handled them. See I also teach psychology.

Work the system! Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    I guess the bottom line is go in, have fun, but come out better then you went in. Work the system to YOUR advantage!
    EXACTLY! Learn to push the SYSTEM and you can accomplish almost anything inside the system or inside any system!

I once worked for a 2 Star General in the G4 (Logistics). I learned so much about how to do this that the folks at the lower level S4's started calling me "HawkEye" because I knew how to wheel and deal on behalf of the troops. Working in the B-I-G picture at Eschelons Above Reality as we used to call being a Division Staff Puke, I could see across the post into multiple organizations.

So if Battalion "X" in the 1st Brigade needed more training ammo and they were short...and Battalion "Y" in the 2nd Brigade had a surplus of blanks, I arranged the deal. At some point, Battalion "Y" would need something and I'd just push the system....That was my job. But if left to their own devices, the "X" group would wind up running thru the woods yelling "BANG" and having no fun at all....

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    "Im mainly wondering how the service treated you. Not the job in particular. Sitting down in a hot tank in 120 degree weather does not sound appealing to me."

OK, reality check time. While there are probably a few jobs where you're pretty much gauranteed 3 hot's and a cot, AC and showers; they are few and far between, and probably not much fun. (at least as an enlisted man) If you want the most cush living conditions, join the Air Force, no offense to the Air Force guys, but even they'll admit they always have the best digs. If you're gonna be any kind of combat-troop chances are living conditions are gonna be pretty shabby from time to time. That's just the way it is, but look at the bright side, you don't wanna be a Marine 03 (infantrymen). It's all uphill from there.

Zoomies Take Their Comforts SERIOUSLY!

Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil
    If you want the most cush living conditions, join the Air Force, no offense to the Air Force guys, but even they'll admit they always have the best digs.

LOL! I remember WELL the old saying among the "O's" that the reason the Air Force has the BEST Officer's Clubs is due to the fact that they always build the O Club FIRST then go whining to Congress about how they needed more BLING to finish the job and build those critical....runways!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links