The Dangers of the .22 calibre short...

This is a discussion on The Dangers of the .22 calibre short... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A laugh from our friends in the UK This article was published in the UK about a very dangerous situation involving live ammunition. "LIVE ammunition ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dangers of the .22 calibre short...

A laugh from our friends in the UK
    This article was published in the UK about a very dangerous situation involving live ammunition.

"LIVE ammunition has been found lying in the doorway of a busy high street shop.

The .22 calibre short round bullet was found at the entrance of the 99p Stores in Walthamstow High Street on Wednesday morning, November 1.

Haroon Khan, who has a firearms licence and is a member of a local gun club, was alarmed to discover live ammunition in a Walthamstow doorway.

The bullet, of Swiss origin, was still in its brass casing, complete with enough gunpowder for it to fire itself.

continued...
    Mr Khan said that if it had been struck hard enough or exposed to heat it could have gone off.

"This sort of thing should not be lying around. It was live, primed and active," he said. "But rather me pick it up than a little kid.

"How can you feel safe when you are finding things like this on the street?

"To get hold of one of these is not easy. You have to go through a scrutinised search, you need a licence and you have to belong to a club."

Ammunition of this kind would ordinarily be used in a small handgun or pistol, and both can be owned legally under licence.

But to leave strictly controlled goods out in the street would be enough for a firearms licence to be revoked.

The bullet has been examined at a Metropolitan Police laboratory and details about it kept for future reference.

A police spokesman said: "Recovering firearms and ammunition is a priority for the police. We take the same view of ammunition as we do of a gun.

"If it goes bang, it is still lethal."

Police are treating the unattended ammunition as a crime. Mr Khan alerted them at 10.16am, and they arrived at his shop to pick up the bullet at 11.32am."

Count your blessing

Here is a link to the actual article.
    http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/new...nd_in_doorway/

OMIGOSH!
    That could have been bad, I am so releived that no one was injured!

Someone should do something to prevent this from happening.
    its a good thing a firing pin wasnt close by. some body could have kicked it into th bullet or the bullet into it! Imagine the consequences! it could have costed dozens of dollars worth of hypothetical damage!!
    Life is a game of chance, be prepared to throw down when its time to dance. If your young, enjoy it cuz your youth is gold and never waste time every single day you grow old. written is a page in the book for you, with hard times and bad luck to see what you will do.

Good thing they are keeping that dangerous dangerous ammunition off the streets. Someone could have been seriously scratched!

The bullet, of Swiss origin, was still in its brass casing, complete with enough gunpowder for it to fire itself.

Self firing bullets? What will those swiss think of next? lol

I can't believe this "incident" warranted a police response. Someone pointing a gun at you loaded with a bullet is something to worry about, finding a bullet on the ground just pick it up and go on with your day. These people's attitudes towards guns and ammunition is exactly why the UK is in the situation they are with gun rights (or lack of).

"OH NO! There is a bullet on the ground over there, someone call the bomb squad, cordon off the area!"

Ok, I've stopped laughing now. I wonder if they really treat the ammunition and the gun the same. If the shop owner had found a handgun in his doorway, would it really have taken them more than an hour to show up and collect it? Really?
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Administrator

OMG!

Thankfully it seemed to be out of direct sunlight or it could have "gone off" by itself. What sort of a Neanderthal backward country is that where a .22 SHORT cartridge could be left COMPLETELY UNATTENDED out in a public place?

That's BLOODY Frightening! An innocent passerby could have accidently tapped that cartridge with the tip of his bumbershoot and somebody could have been killed.

Thank God the Police hit "Lights & Sirens"...rushed right on over to retrieve the offending piece of ammunition and have treated the deadly unattended thing as a crime. A felony hopefully. And we can all sleep easier knowing that it's now in qualified hands at the Police Laboratory.

I wonder when the Bomb Squad will be able to dispose of it?

Whats funny is how it took them over an hour to actually respond.

You mean I need to stop carrying around .22 bullets in my pockets? Might shot myself in the thigh or somethin
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member
    Strange how this would attract attention when dirty needles discarded in a park where children play, gets none.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I believe the term is, Bonkers.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Those Brits! Such a straight-faced sense of humor!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

If they go psycho over one 22 short,they would think they captured a terrorist cell if the walked in to my house,I can't trip and fall without touching either a gun,or gun item,and my reloading room has about 40 pounds of powder and about 45,000 primers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Did he just say it was "live, primed and active"?

I've fired .22 shorts in my basement without earplugs...

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Did he just say it was "live, primed and active"?

I've fired .22 shorts in my basement without earplugs...
    OMG how did you ever survive the concussion coming off a projectile that is moving faster than the speed of dirt
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Oh... did I say 'basement'? I meant fallout shelter.

Where can I find self-firing ammunition? That'd make for an interesting door alarm!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links