Anyone know how to get from Paris to Omaha Beach?

This is a discussion on Anyone know how to get from Paris to Omaha Beach? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been doing some internet research and am getting different answers. Some people say that I need to rent a car and drive the entire ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know how to get from Paris to Omaha Beach?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

I've been doing some internet research and am getting different answers. Some people say that I need to rent a car and drive the entire way, some say I can take a train to Bayeux. Once I get there, some say I need to take a taxi, some say to rent a bike...

I really want to see the American Cemetery as well as Pointe Du Hoc.

Anyone know?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I don't know the answer, but please give us an update after you do it. My dad, who just passed away was an Omaha Beach survivor.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

VIP Member
    Go West young man, go West.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    We rented a car when we took our trip and just plugged it into the GPS. Couldn't have been any easier. I would recommend renting a car, it gives you the flexibility to set your own schedule, and I think a taxi would be prohibitively expensive to see everything you would want to see.

Besides the American Cemetery and Visitor center and Le Pointe du Hoc, I would recommend St Mere Eglise if you get the chance, the tapestry at Bayeux is worth the visit, and the German artillery sites are impressive as well.

Also, not many of the museums were worth the cost of admission, most just seemed to have the same stuff as everyone else to make a buck. The new visitor center at the Omaha Beach Cemetery is the exception. Built in 2007 it is amazing, and best of all, free.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

AzB
    There is a train directly from Paris to Bayeux. It's a 2 hour trip. If you book a tour, (recommended, the place is huge and you can spend days wandering around, the tour will show you what you want to see efficiently, and you can always go back on your own) they will pick you up directly from the train station.

I've spent a lot of time in Europe and after a short period of stubbornly using a car, finally determined that cars are really not the best way to get around. It's so easy to just get on the train and go. You can read, eat, nap, make some new friends, etc... instead of sitting behind a windshield. There are so many issues with traffic, not knowing how to read/understand road signs, parking, theft, etc., it's just far easier not to drive.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Here is a web page that describes many of the various "must-see" type venues, along with tips for navigating around: click. This might be a good starting point for gathering information about how to actually visit the area.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    There is a train directly from Paris to Bayeux. It's a 2 hour trip. If you book a tour, (recommended, the place is huge and you can spend days wandering around, the tour will show you what you want to see efficiently, and you can always go back on your own) they will pick you up directly from the train station.

I've spent a lot of time in Europe and after a short period of stubbornly using a car, finally determined that cars are really not the best way to get around. It's so easy to just get on the train and go. You can read, eat, nap, make some new friends, etc... instead of sitting behind a windshield. There are so many issues with traffic, not knowing how to read/understand road signs, parking, theft, etc., it's just far easier not to drive.
    Well, I found a route. Too bad it was too late to reserve a spot on the train. Oh well, I'm heading out there on Wednesday instead then! I'll make sure to link to photos when I get back!

For those interested, here are the photos I've posted so far:

http://s191.photobucket.com/home/s7a71c/index
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post

Well, I found a route. Too bad it was too late to reserve a spot on the train. Oh well, I'm heading out there on Wednesday instead then! I'll make sure to link to photos when I get back!

For those interested, here are the photos I've posted so far:

http://s191.photobucket.com/home/s7a71c/index
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I thought you could only get there through the English Channel. Oh, you wanted the easy way.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

ccw9mm, awesome link! I really appreciate that.

pcon great pictures so far. Thanks for posting them bro!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    ccw9mm, awesome link! I really appreciate that.
    My pleasure. It is a pretty neat set of pages describing various key battles and locations. The color choices are strange, but the info content is first-rate.

PCON, be sure to keep posting your photos as you get them. TraveLogs are great ways to see a place through someone else's eyes. While many of us will have been to the sites you're visiting, invariably there is something seen new for the very first time once someone else goes there and writes about what they've seen. Keep the pics coming!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    I've been doing some internet research and am getting different answers. Some people say that I need to rent a car and drive the entire way, some say I can take a train to Bayeux. Once I get there, some say I need to take a taxi, some say to rent a bike...

I really want to see the American Cemetery as well as Pointe Du Hoc.
    Anyone know?
    While you're there, keep your hat off for an extra minute or so for me and give them my thanks too, could you?
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I don't remember any of the details (I did it in 2000), but I rented a car and it was an easy trip (once you clear Paris). I had a long weekend and was glad I had the car. Unlike too many in Paris, the folks there seem to remember that we are the good guys. I never had any problems speaking only English and getting good (and friendly) directions.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    While you're there, keep your hat off for an extra minute or so for me and give them my thanks too, could you?
    Most definitely, mprp. I would be honored.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I was stationed in England for 2 years and never even heard about the cemetaries in Europe,Now as I'm getting on the downside of 100 I wish I would have,instead of wasting all my money on booze and women.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links