Judicial insanity. Watchdog can post SSNs to prove government isn't safeguarding SSNs

Judicial insanity. Watchdog can post SSNs to prove government isn't safeguarding SSNs

This is a discussion on Judicial insanity. Watchdog can post SSNs to prove government isn't safeguarding SSNs within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/virgini...curity-numbers The court agreed with B.J. Ostergren's claim that a 2008 state law prohibiting anyone from making Social Security numbers available to the public violated ...

Thread: Judicial insanity. Watchdog can post SSNs to prove government isn't safeguarding SSNs

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/virgini...curity-numbers

The court agreed with B.J. Ostergren's claim that a 2008 state law prohibiting anyone from making Social Security numbers available to the public violated her First Amendment rights.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    "The unredacted SSNs on Virginia land records that Ostergren has posted online are integral to her message," Judge Allyson Duncan wrote in the unanimous opinion. "Indeed, they are her message. Displaying them proves Virginia's failure to safeguard private information and powerfully demonstrates why Virginia citizens should be concerned."
    Isn’t great how the court system can make it easier for identity thieves, I can see maybe publishing the documents with the SSANs redacted and a comment to that effect.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

So if I read this right she is posting all this to show how the government mishandles this information? How does that make it any better? She is making the problem way worse. I don't understand how this can't be considered aiding identity theft. How does it violate her first amendment rights by stopping her from posting OTHER people's info? I bet her SSN isn't going to be posted.
    It sounds like there is a real problem that she is trying to address, but she is going about the solution completely backwards. I wonder if the people whose numbers are posted could sue.

Links