Nosey neighbors and the sheriffs department.

This is a discussion on Nosey neighbors and the sheriffs department. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had an interesting experience yesterday (Monday). A Valencia County, NM sheriffs deputy shows up at my front door. I invite him inside and he ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nosey neighbors and the sheriffs department.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

Nosey neighbors and the sheriffs department.

I had an interesting experience yesterday (Monday). A Valencia County, NM sheriffs deputy shows up at my front door. I invite him inside and he asks me if I know why he's there. I tell him I don't and he says that my neighbor complained about seeing me walking inside my house while in the buff. He also tells me that she complained about me open carrying when I take my daily walks. He adds that he already explained to her that I can do whatever I want in the privacy of my home and that open carry is legal in New Mexico. He also told me that she claimed that she drove past me while I was walking on Sunday and I placed my hand on my gun in a threatening manner, although I didn't know there was a problem until Monday. I think she embellished her tale a little to make it seem I was commiting a crime.
    I asked him if her peering into my window is illegal and he states it is. He however doesn't make any attempt to arrest her for the illegal activity she's already admitted to.
    Then on Monday I hear her and her mother having a pow wow outside and she remarks she is going to take me to court.
    I'd like DC members, especially lawyers, to tell me if she is commiting a crime by taking me to court after the deputy told her that my conduct was legal.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

2. Remove Ads

GEEZ how long have you been neighbors???? I can't imagine a neighbor like this, what is her husbands thought on this or is she single. I would just keep on keeping on.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Take you to court over what??

So far, she hasn't "proven" anything...it's her word against yours.

As mentioned in this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-didn-t!!-quot
    I'd be surprised if anyone in the courthouse would give her the time of day with a complaint like that.

How likely would it be to have a civil discussion with her?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Invite her out shooting.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

"I'd like DC members, especially lawyers, to tell me if she is commiting a crime by taking me to court after the deputy told her that my conduct was legal."

That will depend, to a considerable degree, on local statutes and exactly what she does.
    Take you to court for what?
    Criminal or civil court?

Do you open carry in the buff??
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    tell me if she is commiting a crime by taking me to court after the deputy told her that my conduct was legal.
    You (not you, but you in general) can sue anyone you want for anything you want. Probably cost you quite a bit of money for no return and possibly spend some time in jail for contempt when you throw a fit that nobody is taking your lawsuit seriously, but you can still do it.

Will she win a lawsuit about you running around your house naked when she is peering through your window? Probably not..... Will you win when you counter-sue? Probably, especially when you prove that the police told her that there was nothing wrong with what you were doing and she was breaking the law.

(IANAL, just laughing about the sue-happy country we live in)

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    Invite her out shooting.
    What he said, she could hold the targets.
    Everyone ought to worship God according to his own inclinations, and not to be constrained by force.
    Flavius Josephus

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Do you open carry in the buff??
    Well I could have done without that mental image ......

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    IANAL so take this as it is offered. Years ago I went to a community college and my instructor was a retired FBI agent. I have also been working in law enforcement (public and private) for more than 30 years. Lets say you have a medical condition that causes you to view things cross-eyed. If you look at her and she doesn't like being looked at, in today's society she can sue you for looking at her cross-eyed. In essence she can take you to court for almost anything. You also have the right to file a cross action for harrassment. My personal attorney has a standing order that if I am sued frivolously the law firm is to file a counter suit for no less than 10 times the amount I'm being sued for. Since you have witnessed her exchange and the deputy contacted you, I would talk to a very good attorney and have the attorney take care of it. Usually the realization that they will be held accountable for their harrasment is all it takes. If you do need to file suit go for as much as you can (go for their house). They won't be your neighbor if you are awarded the house.

Out of curiosity, are you in the habit of walking around naked with your windows open?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I asked him if her peering into my window is illegal and he states it is. He however doesn't make any attempt to arrest her for the illegal activity she's already admitted to.
    The problem with this and the reason he didn't arrest is this; There has to be one of the culpable states of crime present. Purposely peering into ones window would be a crime, but a happen chance glance into somebody's window is not. There is a big difference between a glance as you walk by and a peeping Tom (or Mary in the case) who purposely seeks out windows and people to look at. If she is in her own home or yard, good luck proving she is "peeping".

Be a good guy and close the blinds if your going to go naked.
    "Just blame Sixto"

GM
    I agree with SIXTO, close the blinds and then she won't have any reason to complain anymore. Unfortunately it is not possible to dialogue with some people.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

If the person observing you is on their own property or on public property, they can look at anything they want - if you leave your windows open then can gaze into them for as long as they wish and they have committed no crime. They can even take photos of you and publish them as editorial or artistic works. If you want privacy, keep your drapes closed.

It's never against the law to take someone to court. Of course in order for her to win, she has the burden of proof. If you are going to leave your blinds open and your window is positioned where she can easily glance through her window and see you, then it is not much different than being out in public. If she video tapes this, you may be in trouble if she shows that she can be looking out her window or from anywhere in her yard, which she has a right to, and can see, I would be very sure that no one can peer in by closing the blinds. Not saying that she's not an exaggerating trouble maker and I think after hearing the story about how you looked at her with your hand on the gun, I would probably trust her as far as I could throw her. But if she can prove the other just by simply living her life at her own house, be prepared to lose in court.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links