This is gonna hurt! - Page 2

This is gonna hurt!

This is a discussion on This is gonna hurt! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Could be hereditary, both my parents had dentures by the time they were 21. My baby teeth were fine but my adult teeth were trouble ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is gonna hurt!

Could be hereditary, both my parents had dentures by the time they were 21. My baby teeth were fine but my adult teeth were trouble from day one.

I would always get in trouble after visiting the dentist for all the cavities, thing is I'd been brushing, swishing, etc. under close (angry) parental supervision. We even had that special 'fluoridated' water that always tasted like it was stored in an old inner tube.

I managed to keep my teeth until my mid 30's so I did beat my parents, but I sunk a lot of money into maintenance and repair. In my case, dentures literally saved my life. Due to the bad teeth for so long I had abscesses build up. I was literally gray. Once my teeth were pulled I got my color back, kind of scary.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

atctimmy, my Grandfather, my Father, and Brother all had dentures by the time they were 40, I guess I did good by lasting till I was 55! With all four of us, the teeth just starting rotting and breaking off. Funny that it doesn't seem to affact the women in the family.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Ok I'm young(ish) and my dentist always tells me I'm blessed with great teeth so I haven't lost any teeth other than my wisdoms. I'm curious what makes you lose all of your teeth. The reason I ask is that my wife has soft teeth and has tons of bridges and crowns even though she brushes and flosses twice as much as I do. Is it all just genetics and luck of the draw or is there other factors (other than hygene) that cause teeth to wear out? Anybody know? Usage? Disease? I know in the old days there were diseases that would make your teeth fall out but does it still happen today?
    I'm a baby boomer. I still have most of my teeth, one bridge. I have practiced home dentistry on myself since I learned about the tooth fairy. That being said, I'm not an authority. My experience though is that receding gums can lead to bone loss and eventual loose teeth. One dental decease is called pyorrhea. That usually means dentures. Causes? Poor dental hygiene, excess alcohol use, tobacco and drug abuse can be causes. Another less common cause is extended exposure to certain industrial chemicals or exposure to radioactive materials.
    Other causes could include a catastrophic injury.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Lets see im 33 ive lost most of my teeth on the top all that's left is my molars and premolars, i had 8 teeth removed at the same time 3 years ago. If i had a partial bridge made but i never seem to wear it. Its Too uncomfortable. I'm also missing several on the bottom. And another 1 on the bottom has been bothering me lately bit i have no dental insurance again. Yall would be amazed what I would give up to the have perfect teeth again
    Guns don't kill people, People kill people!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My Dad had full dentures early but my Mom never needed them. I don't have anything on my bottom right to oppose the top right in the back. I also have a couple other holes and have had lots of cavities. Have had a few teeth just break off. I did neglect my brushing in my early childhood. My oldest son has dental issues which has led to more than a few confrontations at bedtime/brush time.

I can't imagine how ancient people dealt with tooth issues. And I wonder if this is a 'breed specific deficiency' or if we're not done evolving yet.

Has anyone talked to you about implants?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

They talked about the implants, but I just can't afford them. Just the lower cost more than the other two pre-paid sets combined.

Quote Originally Posted by MoMike View Post
    They talked about the implants, but I just can't afford them. Just the lower cost more than the other two pre-paid sets combined.
    MoMike,... if cost is an issue, get the wood kind. You can sharpen em' with a rasp!
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Well, I've already got my Dremel tool ready to get them to fit right. ;)

"Has anyone talked to you about implants? "what do you recommend 38 DD,that would definitely keep people from looking you in the eyes
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoMike View Post
    Well, I've already got my Dremel tool ready to get them to fit right. ;)
    The implants are really expensive. I asked my dentist about one. It was over $4,000 per tooth and dental insurance won't cover it.

When my transitional (like temporary) bridge came loose, the dentist was having a hard time getting it re-fit. He said, Have you been using super glue again?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links