Need 1st hand info on living in Baltimore area

This is a discussion on Need 1st hand info on living in Baltimore area within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well..it figures. The most promising job lead I have right now is in Baltimore. Handgun Carry website lists MD as "May issue" and it looks ...

Thread: Need 1st hand info on living in Baltimore area

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar

Need 1st hand info on living in Baltimore area

Well..it figures. The most promising job lead I have right now is in Baltimore.

Handgun Carry website lists MD as "May issue" and it looks like it's really more like "probably won't"

Anybody have any thoughts on gun ownership/cc in MD..
    Any thoughts on the feasibility of commuting in from VA or PA?
    Heck..any thoughts at all?
    "Don't Tread on Me"

2. Remove Ads

I know nothing of MD but, I'd like to maybe bring up a thought to consider. Here, in California there are very anti areas that probably, (or definitely) wont, and very pro areas where getting your license is very easy and these areas are designated by county. California is a "may issue" btw. So your luck may depend on where you are going to? I would look into the possibility of location dictating the odds of getting your license in that state there too and not just take someone's advice that is going to tell you that it's imposible. Good Luck!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Well..it figures. The most promising job lead I have right now is in Baltimore.

Handgun Carry website lists MD as "May issue" and it looks like it's really more like "probably won't"

Anybody have any thoughts on gun ownership/cc in MD..
    Any thoughts on the feasibility of commuting in from VA or PA?
    Heck..any thoughts at all?
    First, you probably want to live OUTSIDE Baltimore, not in the city.

Gun ownership - No problem, there is a 7 day wait, and 1 gun per month, and a legal way around the 1 per month rule. Mags are limited to 20 rounds. Aside from that the State is much more lenient that places like NJ. If you own weapons now there is no problem in bringing them with you, and no required registration when you get here.

CC - You can try, but most likely you'll be making a non-refundable contribution to the State.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    I thought Maryland had a 10 round magazine capacity for handguns, but I could be wrong.

As for "may issue", it should be "doesn't issue".
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Administrator
    MD isnt really as bad as some make it out to be. Yes, the gun laws are a bit more stringent but there are some trade offs. You do not want to live in the city itself. If you must live in MD, I'd look in the Annapolis area. I lived there for a few years and really like the area; especially if you like history.
    And yeah, living in VA is feasible, just prepare yourself for a commute in some nasty traffic.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I lived in AA Co. just south of Bal-more, a bit over 10 years ago.

Forget carry, unless an LEO or a Fed w/ authority to carry.

As for ownership it's not too bad for an anti-gun State.

If the job is M-F, you might want to check out < http://mta.maryland.gov/services/mar...mMaps/penn.cfm >. I had a number of co-workers who road it down from more gun friendly Del. and Penn. It's bit more commute that I'd like but they loved living out of MD.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Arko, I am also in Anne Arundel and used to be in Baltimore proper.

Owning a gun is easy in Maryland. Carrying one will, indeed, be next to impossible unless you find yourself handling gems, prescriptions, or large cash/check deposits. If your work is in Baltimore, driving down from lower Pennsylvania will certainly be doable, if not entirely pleasant---I-83 is more or less the only available route (depending on where exactly you are commuting from/to), so when an accident happens, you will get hosed.

We also have some good shooting clubs and ranges, so at least you'll have opportunity to practice or play.

If you've got more specific questions, feel free to PM and I will answer as much as I can...

(By the way, I love your avatar. )

ETA: Maryland's mag limit is 20-round, but that is only for manufacture or transfer. Possession is not prohibited, so if you bring in your 30-rd mags by yourself, no problem.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Grew up in Montgomery County, Maryland escaped back in '06.
    As far as CC goes in Maryland you can pretty much forget it. There are some right thinking people but the politics of the state are dominated by Baltimore city, Montgomery and Prince Georges counties. They are about as anti gun as you can get. People keep bringing up bills in the legislature to change to "shall issue" but those usually die in committee. If you want to sell a "restricted weapon" as in handgun or EBR to a friend you must either go through a licensed dealer or the Maryland State Police.You DO NOT want to live in the city of Baltimore. On top of your federal taxes you will be paying state taxes, county taxes, city taxes and last I heard 5% sales tax. DE and PA much better tax situation. On the plus side, you only have to have your vehicle safety inspected when you first bring it to Maryland and only get taxed on it once. In VA you pay personal property tax on your car every year. I don't know about PA and DE.
    If you are thinking about commuting from PA on I-95, north of the city it is a toll road. I believe I-83 is non toll and I-70 in Maryland in non toll. From the South you would want to avoid the F.S.Key bridge and the tunnels or pay the toll.
    Real estate prices are insane. As Sixto says Anne Arundle county is nice, but close to Annapolis it is going to be pricey. You might want to look around Columbia in Howard County or Mt Airy.
    Fuel prices last I heard were running about $.15 per gallon more than here in Houston. But that is still lower than New York and parts of California.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Gaaa! Darn public hotspot! Had a reply typed, and lost it.

I'll post when I get home, but for now-thanks for all the replies so far, and kee them coming!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I was stationed in Maryland and made the commute from Virginia.

Depending on your work hours, driving VA to MD and back is manageable. Living in VA, I would pick-up slugs at the commuter lots (see: http://www.slug-lines.com/), get on the HOV lane, drop them off at the Pentagon, get back on I-395, cut through D.C. to Anacostia Parkway (D.C. 295) to Baltimore-Washington Parkway (MD 295) up to Ft Meade. I did the same trip in reverse. From the Quantico area to Ft Meade, the commute was approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. If you live in the Springfield area, your commute is less than an hour. Yes, it does seem like a long commute, but I do like to exercise my freedoms when not at work...

I did this commute for 3 years (minus the deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan...which had better working conditions than MD and an easier commute!)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Everything I know about Baltimore I learned from watching "The Wire".
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Everything I know about Baltimore I learned from watching "The Wire".
    Nah. Want to understand the Bal-mor I knew -- check out the movie Diner < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diner_(film) >

FWIIW I ate in that Fells Point Diner many times.
    Last edited by DaveH; July 30th, 2010 at 05:43 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

To blend you need to go to Oriole's Park at Camden Yards and eat Polack Johnny's and drink Natty Bo. Talk about how much better dem O's were when Earl Weaver was in charge. If anyone speaks ill of any of the Ripken family (yes even Billy) you must be greatly offended and say that you ought to punch them in the nose (That's what Earl Weaver would do). If anyone ever mentions Bob Irsay, mumble his name and immediately spit on the ground. If anyone ever asks who the greatest athlete to ever live was that response must be Johnny Unitas. If anyone asks where you are from, avoid eye contact and mumble Dun Dawk.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    ...eat Polack Johnny's....
    If anyone doesn't know about Polack Johnny's check out < http://www.polockjohnnys.com/history.html >

FWIIW, I had a co-worker who would never go with us to the original Polack Johnny's because it was on "The Block"
    < http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ns.html?cat=16 >

If it is still there, you need to experience it once.

BTW -- changing venues, also check out G & M Restaurant & Lounge's crab cakes
    < http://www.gandmcrabcakes.com/ > also see: < http://countryepicure.wordpress.com/...ant-baltimore/ >
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links