Am I getting scammed on Ebay? - Page 2

Am I getting scammed on Ebay?

This is a discussion on Am I getting scammed on Ebay? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Head for cover NOW! Relist the item.....don't have anything more to do with those folks! Cease all communication with them, block them from your email ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I getting scammed on Ebay?

Head for cover NOW! Relist the item.....don't have anything more to do with those folks! Cease all communication with them, block them from your email inbox and relist the item on Ebay.
    YOU ARE BEING SCAMMED! HAVE NOTHING FURTHER TO DO WITH THESE PEOPLE! IF POSSIBLE, CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS! DO NOT COMMUNICATE WITH THEM ANY FURTHER!
    Just sayin......

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    maybe its me who is confused...if you go through paypal it doesnt change anything...you would log onto paypal yourself...so you know what website you are on...and request payment from them...you are not going to any other website so you dont have to worry and are still protected by paypal...once the funds are transferred...by paypal...to your account you can ship the item...what makes that different from what you were going to do on ebay?...

you are not making personal contact with the buyer...the entire transaction would be handled through paypal....

big red flag report them. Most likely it will send you to a "paypal" looking site. but it will be http.xxxx instead of https.xxxx

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I too have many hundreds of transactions through eBay over the past 10 years. If you sent them an invoice from eBay through your PayPal account that is the way in which they should pay. They purchased through eBay, they need to pay through eBay, simple as that. If you do it any other way you are not protected by eBay on your transaction, you may be scammed and/or robbed electronically.

This is exactly why I stopped selling to most foreign countries. I listed my items for USA and Canada bidders only. Even Canadian bidders can be a problem because they want you to show a low selling price on your shipping label declaration so they don't have to pay as much in tariff tax when it crosses the border.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    maybe its me who is confused...if you go through paypal it doesnt change anything...you would log onto paypal yourself...so you know what website you are on...and request payment from them...you are not going to any other website so you dont have to worry and are still protected by paypal...once the funds are transferred...by paypal...to your account you can ship the item...what makes that different from what you were going to do on ebay?...

you are not making personal contact with the buyer...the entire transaction would be handled through paypal....
    I don't know how I can get scammed if I go through paypal myself and request the money.

I am not clicking on a link they sent so I should be ok.

I would prefer them to do everything through ebay though.

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I don't know how I can get scammed if I go through paypal myself and request the money.

I am not clicking on a link they sent so I should be ok.

I would prefer them to do everything through ebay though.
    Joe,
    Reading your last post makes me wonder that you aren't getting the message. YOU ARE BEING SCAMMED! HAVE NOTHING FURTHER TO DO WITH THE BUYER WHO IS ASKING YOU TO TO GO FROM THE EBAY SITE TO PAYPAL DIRECT.
    You are being asked to post your account and password to a blind website, once you do, it will be cleaned out of any money you have in there and likely will hit your credit line and empty that as well.
    They can send you a website that looks exactly like the paypal website but in fact is their own, once they have your username and password they will clean your paypal account out and max out your credit line.
    The fact that you are hesitating even the slightest bit should warn you that your internal red flags are letting you know you are in trouble, listen to yourself...pay attention, you already know it's a scam.
    Why don't you try this...go to a website called Snopes.com, it's all about finding out about scams....look around, find what they have to say about these kinds of scams...educate yourself.
    Good luck!

I understand it..... here goes.....

If they pay you thru Ebay, there are "rules" on Ebay about transactions that they may be trying to avoid. By doing and invoice thru paypal, they have just circumvented all of that with no attachment to ebay.

personally, I would relist it..... and forget this guy, or go to the next highest bidder and ask if they want it for that price and move on.

Now, saying all of that, I've had people send me an invoice thru paypal and it works great, but it also wasn't an Ebay item. It will provide him with your "true" email address, and maybe he's been burned by someone in the past and wants to be sure he has that info .... or , to use it for other bad reasons.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Give him until midnight tomorrow to pay via Ebay/paypal. Let him know that if he fails to pay by the deadline, you will report him to Ebay and relist the item, if necessary. It does smell like fish to me.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Yep they are avoiding ebay for a reason. You could contact ebay about it. As was said, if you are questioning it, dump it. On another note, I find their email address "theiremail" (their email) quite curious.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

tell him that he has your paypal account and all he has to do is send money thru his paypal account to yours,if he has a problem,then report him for trying to pay outside ebay protection and relist the item,you shouldn't be charged a sellers fee since no cash exchanged
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

ya.. i really can't a reason for them not to pay through ebay unless they are avoiding something on purpose.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by redfish443 View Post
    Joe,
    Reading your last post makes me wonder that you aren't getting the message. YOU ARE BEING SCAMMED! HAVE NOTHING FURTHER TO DO WITH THE BUYER WHO IS ASKING YOU TO TO GO FROM THE EBAY SITE TO PAYPAL DIRECT.
    You are being asked to post your account and password to a blind website, once you do, it will be cleaned out of any money you have in there and likely will hit your credit line and empty that as well.
    They can send you a website that looks exactly like the paypal website but in fact is their own, once they have your username and password they will clean your paypal account out and max out your credit line.
    The fact that you are hesitating even the slightest bit should warn you that your internal red flags are letting you know you are in trouble, listen to yourself...pay attention, you already know it's a scam.
    Why don't you try this...go to a website called Snopes.com, it's all about finding out about scams....look around, find what they have to say about these kinds of scams...educate yourself.
    Good luck!
    he is not being asked to post his account on a blind website...he is being asked to message the guys account on paypal...he wasnt sent a link...the request was to contact him through paypals site...

i havent got a clue why the person wouldnt go through ebay unless hes confused becasue he has never made a purchase that way...but the seller going through paypals site is still in the driver seat...the buyer does not have any access to his information...it is through the paypal site...

Umm no, he can go to paypal himself and request the money. he doesn't have to click any links.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Umm no, he can go to paypal himself and request the money. he doesn't have to click any links.
    thanks...i was beginning to think i was the only one who has done this before....

Ok so I got a response about why he/she want to go through paypal. He/she stateed, for some reason, that going through paypal directly is safer?? I don't buy it but I sent the money request and received the money already.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links