Am I getting scammed on Ebay?

This is a discussion on Am I getting scammed on Ebay? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just sold an item on ebay for about $200. I just received a message from buyer stating the following: I would like to pay ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I getting scammed on Ebay?

I just sold an item on ebay for about $200. I just received a message from buyer stating the following:

I would like to pay through paypal, Pls send me a paypal money request for the invoice amount. My paypal account is theiremail@yahoo.com. Thanks

Click on Request Money
    Enter my paypal account- theiremail@yahoo.com

Pls refrence ebay item #. Thanks

Why would they just checkout through ebay???

If you did not put paypal as a payment option in your auction, then the bidder should not have bid on the item if they wanted to pay with paypal. They should have contacted you first and asked if you were willing to accept paypal for payment. If you did not list it as an option on the auction and you are not wiling to accept it, then you need to contact him back and inform him that that is not one of the payment options listed on the auction item, that he will need to pay via whatever means you had listed as payment options in the auction.

If he doesn't like it, too bad. He either pays, or you relist the item again and sell to someone else.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    If you did not put paypal as a payment option in your auction, then the bidder should not have bid on the item if they wanted to pay with paypal. They should have contacted you first and asked if you were willing to accept paypal for payment. If you did not list it as an option on the auction and you are not wiling to accept it, then you need to contact him back and inform him that that is not one of the payment options listed on the auction item, that he will need to pay via whatever means you had listed as payment options in the auction.

If he doesn't like it, too bad. He either pays, or you relist the item again and sell to someone else.
    I did list the only form of payment was paypal. It is just that for some reason the don't want to pay through ebay checkout and want me to send them a request money from paypal. I already sent them an invoice through ebay.

Administrator
    Just make sure thay you always go into your PayPal account from an Ebay page or by Google searching PayPal and then clicking on the "Official" site at the very top of the search page.
    Don't go into PayPal from a Paypal link that somebody sends you in E-mail.

"I already sent them an invoice through ebay." <~~~ That should be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Just make sure thay you always go into your PayPal account from an Ebay page or by Google searching PayPal and then clicking on the "Official" site at the very top of the search page.

Thanks for the advice.

I just question the buyer on why would they prefer doing it this way instead of through ebay. It seems to me that they would be more protected as a buyer doing it through ebay.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

+1

If he sent you a link to "paypal", I'll bet it goes to a phishing site, where they'll get your password and then drain your account.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    +1

If he sent you a link to "paypal", I'll bet it goes to a phishing site, where they'll get your password and then drain your account.

Matt
    No link. They just gave me their email/paypal address. They wanted me to send them a money request. It seems safe but I just question on why they would want it that way opposed to checkout through ebay.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Send them an "invoice" and your paypal email address. All they need to transfer the money to your account is the email address. As others have advised, do not follow any links. I've done about 200 transactions on ebay and many sellers will send an invoice by email for payment that goes directly to their paypal account. He probably assumed this was how you did it.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Delete.
    Everyone said it better than I.

Administrator
    If you are being scammed or not, I don't know. But, remember as the seller, you are in the drivers seat, not them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I asked them to check out through ebay. This is their response

If my paypal was linked to my paypal, Would I be asking to to send me an EBAY paypal auction request. Pls send me the request so that I can take care of payment. One again, My paypal account is theiremail@yahoo.com[/email]. Thanks

Also would it be a bad thing if I used another paypal account to send them the invoice and not the paypal account I use for Ebay?

Sounds like their first language is NOT English...possible scam. They want you to send an e-mail from your acct to their e-mail account without going through paypal or ebay? Sounds suspicious...and they want to find out your IP address, instead of going through a proxy like PP or Ebay...

I'd ask them what do they mean...?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

sounds like they are either no too bright about paypal, paranoid, or stammers. do what others have already said
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

How about fees?

It shows that if I request money through paypal, there is a fee of 2.9% plus $0.3.

Do I still pay for those fees if it is paid through paypal using ebay checkout?

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Sounds like their first language is NOT English...possible scam. They want you to send an e-mail from your acct to their e-mail account without going through paypal or ebay? Sounds suspicious...and they want to find out your IP address, instead of going through a proxy like PP or Ebay...

I'd ask them what do they mean...?
    They want me to go through paypal and not go through ebay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links