Great News

This is a discussion on Great News within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not to mention the nice little DOT law about not carrying a weapon in a commercial vehicle. It is actually a crime to transport a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great News

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Not to mention the nice little DOT law about not carrying a weapon in a commercial vehicle. It is actually a crime to transport a personally owned firearm in a vehicle other than a personally owned vehicle, you own your own cab, go for it, if not, better to avoid federal charges
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Sorry INccwchris, that urban legend has been thoroughly debunked in another thread.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Sorry INccwchris, that urban legend has been thoroughly debunked in another thread.
    This. As a truck driver I have looked into it. If you find the statute please pass it along. But as far as I can find, both state and federal DOT regulations are silent on personal firearms. Commercially, ie for sale, is likely very different. With personal firearms, state law rules.

caubry89, I completely forgot about delivery business policies. The two businesses I deal with are closely related, so I don't have to worry about other companies. Lot's of companies regulate firearms by delivery personnel. They tend to treat you like an employee.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/C...dFirerarms.pdf

PHMSA Interpretation #06-0165

Aug 24, 2006

PHMSA Response Letter

Aug 24, 2006

Mr. Richard B. Loden Reference No. 06-0165

3959 Chestnut Avenue

Concord, CA 94519

Dear Mr. Loden:

This responds to your letter regarding the applicability of the Hazardous Materials Regulations

(HMR; 49 CFR Parts 171- 180) to the transportation of a loaded personal firearm lawfully

carried by a commercial motor vehicle operator while in the performance of his or her duties.

Specifically, you ask whether the transportation of

such a firearm is prohibited by the HMR under the “forbidden explosives” clause in

173.54(f).

The answer to your question is no. Unless otherwise specified in 173.54(f), a personal loaded

or unloaded firearm lawfully carried by a commercial motor vehicle operator is not considered in

commerce and therefore not subject to the HMR. Under this scenario, a commercial motor

vehicle operator who carries a personal firearm while in the performance of his or her duties is

subject to local or State jurisdiction regarding such matters. This response has been coordinated

with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

I trust this satisfies your inquiry. Please contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Hattie L. Mitchell

Chief, Regulatory Review and Reinvention

Office of Hazardous Materials Standards

173.54(f)
    n24wheel

"Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

More good news. I started Roadmaster this past monday, went today and took and passed the tests to get my class A permit. 2 weeks from friday I will finish schooling and get my class A CDL. A few recruiters have came in and talked to us and I have been doing my own research on companies and I have found out that my first year some companies can start me out making $30,000-$60,000 depending on what I am willing to do(at this point I am willing to do most anything). I will keep everyonee updated as to what I figure out and decide.

Congratulations!
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
    It's faster to dial 3-5-7 than it is to dial 9-1-1.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Well, whatever you decide I hope it brings you prosperity. Just remember to stay safe whether on or off the job. Good luck bud!

Thanks a lot guys!

good luck in the new endeaver!
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

I have several family members who've working in the trucking industry... one thing that my uncle was quite adamant about was to not rush out and buy your own truck. He said that a lot of his fellow students were quick to buy their own rig. You won't make as much money but at least you won't get started out the door in debt having to worry about the truck payment coming due during slower times.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

The business is brutal for owner operators right now. Freight is low, and people are undercutting bids to get work. Let someone else eat that cost. Congrats on the permit. The test was not too bad in NC. A little practice and common sense. Good luck.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Thanks everyone. I never planned on being an owner operator, seems like to much hassel. There is a dedicated route with U.S. Express I am hoping to get if there is a position open when I get my Class A that will start me out making $60,000 a year after I finsh the companies training. It would allow me to be home every night and I would only travel into Michigan and West Virginia. Even if I can't get that route right away I don't mind going over the road if I have to. I will have my applications for U.S. Express, Werner, and Prime in on monday and hopefully start getting some pre-hire letters back so I can figure out who I am going with. I did get behind the wheel of a semi today for the first time. My instructor said I was doing great ( backing up with those trucks and trailers isn't the easiest thing at first that's for sure). I will be sure to update as more goes on and I decide what I'm doing. Again thanks everyone, and have a good weekend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links