Great News

This is a discussion on Great News within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For the past couple of months I have been out of a job and looking to get into trucking. I got a call from Road ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great News

Cool Great News

For the past couple of months I have been out of a job and looking to get into trucking. I got a call from Road Master trucking school today and they are willing to finance me. My oldest brother is going to cosign for 80% of the loan since I haven't established any credit and my grandparents are going to loan me $1200 to pay the rest of the loan that my brother can't cosign for. They told me I can start schooling next week. The school is 3 weeks long and they said they have a few companies that will be willing to hire me straight out of school making around $600+ a week. Looks like things are finally starting to look up for me now and I just wanted to share the good news with everyone here.

2. Remove Ads

Great hope things work out for you

Thanks Joe!

Congrats!

Good fortune to you!
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Trucking ain't easy, but it's a job. Watch out for the orange cones!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Congrats, Dude and may the angels above watch over you and keep you safe.

Thanks everyone. It's something I have been wanting to do for awhile. I love you travel(although I really haven't done much) and hopefully it will be good money so I can get a car and a gun safe to fill up!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    $6000 for a three week school? Per day that's got to be more than an Ivy League education. But I know nothing about how truck driver schools work. Good luck!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Lot's of the big carriers used to train their own drivers and you were paid a reduced milage pay to compensate the company. You had to agree to work at the reduced rate for a certain amount of time. But generally you did not pay for the training unless you quit.

FWIW, I would contact companies personally not let the school do it. $600 a week, psshhtt. If that's gross you can do WAY better. Sounds like the school is getting a cut. I make more than that. I don't drive more than 175 miles a day, home every night, but I do have to unload and organize the product in the warehouse. Just sayin. If you jump into one of their jobs that's fine. Don't let them get you into a contract where you have to stay put for X amount of time. But keep your eyes open to other options. I've brought home over $1000 a week at my company before. But noone at my terminal that drives a truck makes $600 a week that I know of. All the runs are higher. Pay depends on the run. I've backed off the pay for a better schedule and to be closer to home.

Not trying to jerk you around here. There was a time in my life where $600 a week was the big time. But from one trucker to a soon to be trucker, there is better money to be had out there on the road. Good luck.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Thanks Chief I will be sure to look into everything. I do have a question tho. Have you had any problems carrying on the road? Or do you choose not to carry when your out?

Good news indeed! Good luck whatever you choose.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Excellent news! Good luck!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by caubry89 View Post
    Thanks Chief I will be sure to look into everything. I do have a question tho. Have you had any problems carrying on the road? Or do you choose not to carry when your out?
    Two things to keep in mind. First, company policy. Just know that you can loose your job if you break it. Second, it's state by state just like in your personal vehicle. Both state and federal DOT rules are silent on firearms. It's left to the state laws. I generally drive during the day now, straight from one warehouse to the other. I don't carry. When I drove nights I seriously considered it. And it would depend on the run and where I was going now. I carry other options that don't conflict with company policy when I am driving, OC spray, knife, light, etc. I also work a warehouse at night for the company, that's a different story there. I drive my personal vehicle to and from that warehouse. It's an odd setup but it works for me. Late nights and bad part of town, you do the math.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Thanks Chief. I have talked to a couple different people about carrying OTR and I think I have decided against it. Just to many policies to be sure about, ie. where I will be delivering, different state laws. I figured I would be safe everywhere with one of my fixed blades on my side and I'm going to look into some OC spray to keep with me, and maybe once I get some extra money a taser I seen on another part of the forum.

Excellent. I'm glad that things are looking up for you.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth keystone... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference."
    - GEORGE WASHINGTON

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links