Learning How to Run Longer Distances - Physical Fitness

This is a discussion on Learning How to Run Longer Distances - Physical Fitness within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I apologize in advance for all the topics I have started asking advice and help with stuff other than defensive carry or weapons. I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning How to Run Longer Distances - Physical Fitness

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Question Learning How to Run Longer Distances - Physical Fitness

I apologize in advance for all the topics I have started asking advice and help with stuff other than defensive carry or weapons.

I have been given some very good advice on my other topic of reenlisting into the military. I am hoping some of you with other specialties may be able to help me with this topic.

I need to get into better shape and condition. I have been training almost daily. My run is what is hindering me the most. Never been a runner, never put much into it either. I am giving it a legitimate attempt this time.

When I break into a shuffle/run and reach a point where my breathing becomes very heavy, much more rapid, and I start to feel that chest burn is usually the point at which I go back to a rapid deliberate fast walk until I get my wind back.

- Just what is it that is happening to me at that point?

- Can I safely push myself farther without injury or possibly death?

- When running for distance and I reach that point of hard rapid breathing will this actually go away if I keep going?

- Is my lack of running stamina due to cardio overload or lack of lung function?

- What is the best way to improve this or are there ways to improve other than running more?

- What happens if I push myself, or try too, beyond this breathing obstacle?

- How can I assess my running style and make improvements to my style (pronation?)

I have heard of "second wind" but the only second I have ever had was at the buffet

What I currently do, as my run, is I start out walking and quickly speed up my pace as I limber up a bit. Once I am walking at that fast, arm swinging "geriatric mall walkers" pace for about an eighth mile, I will break into an airborne shuffle of sorts. I will keep up this shuffle/jog for as long as I can (go back to the hard breathing part).

Once I start this hard breathing I will visually pick a point up ahead of me, along my route, and attempt to force myself to make it to that mark. At that point I will usually feel as if I must stop running and will go back to the geriatric walk. I start the process all over again until I have reached my two mile measure. I will sometimes try to sprint, or at least fast jog, the last 40 or 50 yards just to make myself feel better (or sick).
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

There is no easy set answer to your questions. There are all kinds of variables including past injuries that can contribute to how far you can push it. I will lay the basics down as clearly as possible.

- Running is an aerobic exercise, The link attached is some solid information on training to a target heart rate which is measured in beats per minute. Basically you will choose a baseline from your resting heart rate and use cyclical training methods to control your heart rate by alternating Work and Rest intervals- which it sounds like you are already doing in some version.

- you asked if the stamina problems you are seeing are due to cardio or lung capacity. Those two Items are directly linked and will both build over time.

- yes you can keep pushing through without causing yourself severe bodily harm.
    - As to learning and improving your form I would suggest a running forum to find a partner in your area or even a personal coach, maybe the local high school's track coach would be willing to help out for a boosters donation? You just never know until you ask.

_ As a side note I remember your previous post about reinlisting and do not recall what you choose to do or if you even posted your final decision but Most recruiting offices will help a recruit prepare for physical fitness requirements.

Feel free to PM me if you have some specific questions

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    There is no easy set answer to your questions. There are all kinds of variables including past injuries that can contribute to how far you can push it. I will lay the basics down as clearly as possible.

- Running is an aerobic exercise, The link attached is some solid information on training to a target heart rate which is measured in beats per minute. Basically you will choose a baseline from your resting heart rate and use cyclical training methods to control your heart rate by alternating Work and Rest intervals- which it sounds like you are already doing in some version.

- you asked if the stamina problems you are seeing are due to cardio or lung capacity. Those two Items are directly linked and will both build over time.

- yes you can keep pushing through without causing yourself severe bodily harm.
    - As to learning and improving your form I would suggest a running forum to find a partner in your area or even a personal coach, maybe the local high school's track coach would be willing to help out for a boosters donation? You just never know until you ask.

_ As a side note I remember your previous post about reenlisting and do not recall what you choose to do or if you even posted your final decision but Most recruiting offices will help a recruit prepare for physical fitness requirements.
    I have no injuries that should hinder me. I have been a smoker, quit a few times for a few years, started again several more times. My jobs were never really physically demanding. My weight has dropped from about 220 to 185 and I am likely to lose a few more as I have definitely changed my diet and daily routine. Will look into a running coach of sorts. I cannot pay anyone. I have no job as of now.

Also, I do not find the link you mentioned?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Unfortunately the only way to get better at runningn is to run more
    This article/workout plan may help get you started
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Soon enough you'll be like me running 70-80 miles a week and a 4:15 mile
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Find the biggest baddest guy at a biker bar walk up to him and smack him in the nose. I am willing to bet that you can run FASTER and Longer than you think you can.

Some suggestions:
    1. Good shoes. Go to a running store where they have the equipment to analyze your gait. Buy a pair of shoes there. They will cost $100 - $150. I recommend this for walkers too.

2. If you are serious you can get an O2 Stress test from your cardiologist. This will tell you several things: you are in good health (or not), your VO2 Max, etc., but mostly that you aren't going to keel over going up a hill ;)

3. Running is no fun but it is very rewarding. I like signing up for little races (5k, 10k, etc.) They are full of people just like you. These motivate me to keep after it.

4. Set a long term goal like 1/2 marathon or something.

5. Less weight is better. Get solidly into the proper BMI zone.

It takes a long time. 6 years ago I could barely walk up the hill in my neighborhood. Now I run at least one marathon and several 1/2s a year.

Good luck!
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Find the biggest baddest guy at a biker bar walk up to him and smack him in the nose. I am willing to bet that you can run FASTER and Longer than you think you can.
    I'll let you smack me for a buck. even give you a two step head start.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Running has always been the hardest for me also. It has almost killed me a few times on my PT test.
    The two things that have helped me in the past have been strength training and interval runs. I think a lot of people underestimate the benefit that leg strength training has on running. Interval runs have helped me a lot. I take my husky and we walk for about a quarter mile and then we sprint for 20-30 seconds and then bring it back down to a jog or a fast walk for 30ish seconds and then repeat. If you are going to do interval runs, start slowly (10-15 second sprint with 60 second jog or walk) and work your way up to longer sprints and shorter rests.
    Everyone else seems to have good advice also, this is just what has helped me. Good luck

Starting slow then building - walking briskly for 20 mins, set small goals every few days or so, stretching lightly before you run and "regular" streching after, find your own rhythm/running your own race, avoid pavement if possible - it's easier on your hips/knees, cross training helps quite a bit -weights for your legs and maybe the pool or a bike for cardio, don't use a radio/music - you become dependant on it and it's a distraction.

The key is slowly building your cardio through sustained exercise for at least 30 mins. If you have access to a pool, treading water for 30 minutes while alternating the use of only arms, or legs, or both would work very well and it's low impact on your body.

Stick with it. You'll do great!

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post

OMG...you're one of those crazy people who run for "fun" aren't you?

Seriously, if I have to go 10 miles anywhere, running is not an option ...a car is an option....so is a bike.

Unfortunately, my occupation requires me to run...therefore, I run. But I'm built for comfort not speed
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Your heart and lungs can go at increased rate for extended periods of time even working at redline to feed you muscles with enought oxygen to maintain you for a while (different for everyone). When you push past redline is when you just crash and have to rest. The key is obviously run more and more, increasing your pace as you become more accostomed to it. Is your goal to run a great distance or be able to run a specific distance as fast as possible as your goal would determine your method of training. You should be able to feel where your "Redline" is. When training stay just bellow your redline for extended periods of time and it will slowly increase.

Also... Developing a breathing rythem can keep you from hyperventilating while pushing yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post

I recently completed the C25K program on that site. Great program. I still haent been able to pull 3 miles in 30 minutes, but I can jog 30 minutes. My problem is breathing, I think. About the 25 minute mark, I get to feeling like dead weight, my breathing isnt as deep, and my diaphragm/mid stomach area feels all swollen up. I suppose this is what I get for smoking for 24 years.

I am gonna conquer this beast though.

Have your doctor make sure that you are ok for pt.
    Slow down. Build your distance up then work on your time.
    Break your long run down into smaller distances. Ok ,less than a mile to my next turn.
    Don't talk yourself into quiting.
    It's ok to be tired, but being tired is not a reason to stop.
    If you are doing an 8 mile run train at a longer distance.
    Hydrate before you run.
    Eat right.
    Don't be afriad of spandex.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    OMG...you're one of those crazy people who run for "fun" aren't you?

Seriously, if I have to go 10 miles anywhere, running is not an option ...a car is an option....so is a bike.

Unfortunately, my occupation requires me to run...therefore, I run. But I'm built for comfort not speed
    Yes I run for fun. I've been a runner since high school and run everything from 100 meters to marathons competitively.
    I also have an occupation that requires me to run....because criminals never listen when you say "Stop Police"
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links