I can't believe you can buy pepper spray over the counter???

This is a discussion on I can't believe you can buy pepper spray over the counter??? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We traveled to my wife's cousins house in TX this last weekend and stayed for a few days. I haven't ever told them I carry, ...

Thread: I can't believe you can buy pepper spray over the counter???

We traveled to my wife's cousins house in TX this last weekend and stayed for a few days. I haven't ever told them I carry, firearms have never come up. One of her cousins(in her 60's, my wife and are 35) told us a story how she was bitten by a dog while walking around the neighborhood. She had bought some pepper spray and had it on the counter. I said, oh you bought some pepper spray, she said, yes I cant believe you can buy it over the counter (huh!!!!). I said here's mine, I popped my Kimber Guardian Angel. She asked why do you have that? I said, if I have to defend myself in a situation that does not warant deadly force. She asked, deadly force what kind of deadly force? I said, which ever firearm I have on me at the time and maybe even two at a time. The look was priceless. I explained to her that I had my concealed carry permit and I am a instructor, I did not disclose that I was carrying the whole time I was staying there. She said, you can carry a gun? I said yes and explained to her that it was legal in TX also and that my CWL conveyed to TX. I said, didn't you see or hear the story about you govenor shooting and killing a coyote that charged his dog, she hadn't heard about it, still stunned that a TX citizen could carry. Then I showed her my Frost Green Beret (I know cheap knife but if I loose it I wont feel bad) sereted teeth and all. She asked again, why do you have that? I said you never know when you might have to cut a seat belt or something and I also told her I keep a first aid kit and latex gloves handy in my vehicle. I carried my TCP in my BULLDOG cell phone case, no one ever asked what it was. Just thought I would share.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

Sounds like the cousin is in 'la la land' when it comes to SD. She doesn't seem to understand the world around her. I bet she also talks on her cell phone walking to and from her car in mall parking lots.
    Amazing, isn't it? The world is FILLED with individuals like this...great pickins' for the wolves of society.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Haha, good times. Sounds like you had yourself a little private laugh. What did your wife say?

Also, Choctaw huh? I'm over in Del City.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Moderator
    A lot of people just have no reason to know that kind of stuff. All they hear about guns and carry is from the media and we all know that the media is extremely biased. They make mountains out of mole-hills and talk about how it should be harder to get firearms and other defensive tools and your average citizen watches that and thinks, "Well, yeah!"

My parents are both pro gun people but when I told them that I had my concealed carry permit they were both stunned. My Mom couldn't believe how easy it was to get your permit and that I could carry as many guns on my person as I could hold with it. She was sure there was a longer, harder process and strong limitations. She had no reason to think otherwise.

I remember when my husband first got his permit I was amazed he could even do that. I'd never heard of concealed carry permits before. It was a totally new concept to me and I was even surprised by the ease with which he got his permit.

We all start somewhere and it's really easy to start thinking that concealed carry or defensive tools are much more regulated than what they really are. But then you also learn about their regulations and find they are pretty reasonable.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    In NYC, only licensed FFL's (there is only one) and pharmacists can legally sell it.

Tell this woman, around here, you can buy grenade launchers over the counter. With proper paperwork and about $4000 bucks that is.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    no you can't, those are "flare launchers" 40 mm flare launchers
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Yep, to us, these people like your wife's cousin seem like aliens from a foreign world. Yet there are a huge population of them out there. They come in all shapes, sizes, colors and ages. A lot of them aren't even particularly anti-gun, they just don't have a clue about the realities of life and the dangers they are surrounded by everyday. They have gotten off lucky and have never a need to give self defense a second thought. By the grace of God, they will never have to either. However, like you and I, they are not immune from having violence visit them one day, and they will be in for an eye opening if it ever comes to pass.

I thought it was a very interesting dialogue you had with her. And fairly amusing. Although I wish her a continued life of safety and hope she is never a victim of crime in the future.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I forgot to mention they leave there doors unlocked alot at night, I ususally sneak back downstairs to check the locks after everyone goes to bed.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

Quote Originally Posted by ccroom View Post
    I forgot to mention they leave there doors unlocked alot at night, I ususally sneak back downstairs to check the locks after everyone goes to bed.

Oh no, no way I'd ever leave my doors unlocked. I've had people try my doors twice while I was home alone.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Forget Pepper Spray! Get yourself a few cans of hornet/wasp spray. It's perfectly legal, it has a range of 25 feet and is much more blinding then Pepper Spray. Keep a can or two around the house, one in the bedroom, one out on the deck, one in the car and carry one with you when you go out for your neighborhood walk. Ya' never know when you might come up upon a nest!
    "The Day We Lose The Second Amendment Will Be The Day We Start The Second Revolution"
    "I Didn't Vote For Him"!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    A lot of people just have no reason to know that kind of stuff. All they hear about guns and carry is from the media and we all know that the media is extremely biased. They make mountains out of mole-hills and talk about how it should be harder to get firearms and other defensive tools and your average citizen watches that and thinks, "Well, yeah!"

My parents are both pro gun people but when I told them that I had my concealed carry permit they were both stunned. My Mom couldn't believe how easy it was to get your permit and that I could carry as many guns on my person as I could hold with it. She was sure there was a longer, harder process and strong limitations. She had no reason to think otherwise.

I remember when my husband first got his permit I was amazed he could even do that. I'd never heard of concealed carry permits before. It was a totally new concept to me and I was even surprised by the ease with which he got his permit.

We all start somewhere and it's really easy to start thinking that concealed carry or defensive tools are much more regulated than what they really are. But then you also learn about their regulations and find they are pretty reasonable.
    now youve sparked my curiosity...have your parents seen your informational videos?...

Sponsored Links