Rant and a question

This is a discussion on Rant and a question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I hate August! Its hot, and its sturgis rally time. I cannot express enough how much I hate living in South Dakota during the rally, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant and a question

Rant and a question

I hate August!
    Its hot, and its sturgis rally time. I cannot express enough how much I hate living in South Dakota during the rally, but I will keep my comments to myself so I don't offend anyone.
    I do have a question though, why is it that they can pass a law requiring that everyone has to wear a seatbelt when they are traveling in a car but they don't have a law requiring everyone to wear a helmet on a motorcycle?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    While seat belts do save lives, the seat belt laws are just for revenue generation.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Here in Florida I believe they do require you to wear a helmet by law (though I may be wrong). I know that they absolutely require minors on a motorcycle to wear a helmet.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Virginia has both a seat belt law and a helmet law.

Administrator
    "I do have a question though, why is it that they can pass a law requiring that everyone has to wear a seatbelt when they are traveling in a car but they don't have a law requiring everyone to wear a helmet on a motorcycle?"

Because some (not all but, some) bikers are born so log~headed and dumb that suffering a serious brain injury has always been a non issue. <~~

Even though I use seat belts, I like what Bill Cosby said about them many years ago.

"Seat belts are there because the ambulance driver is too lazy to look for the body!"

WV also has helmet laws for riding motorcycles, but some choose to thumb their noses at danger and ride without one.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

The way I see it as long as their head doesn't injure anyone else, let em bounce it off the asphault (nothing against motorcycle riders).

I generally oppose seatbelt laws, even though I always wear mine but I figure it's my life and I decide to take the extra precautions to insure my survival. It's sad that our country has had to make laws to get people to use common sense. On the other hand I'm thankful for laws that require proper restraints for children, as they are not old enough to risk their lives riding in a car to the liquor store. I just wish I saw more adults restraining their children properly.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    While seat belts do save lives, the seat belt laws are just for revenue generation.
    I agree totally. We all ready have enough "nanny laws". Don't kid yourself, it's all about the money.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I ride. I would wear a helmet if it wasn't a law. I'd wear a seat belt without a law as well, but I resent a law COMPELLING me to do the same.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Striker543 View Post
    Here in Florida I believe they do require you to wear a helmet by law (though I may be wrong). I know that they absolutely require minors on a motorcycle to wear a helmet.
    And You Are, Law in FL. Requiers you have insurence of some sort of x amount of $$ ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member
    We call them organ donors.

Seriously though, it bugs the crap out of me to see no helmets. It seems like everyone I know has (had) a dear friend who is long gone or had tragic or lifechanging injuries to endure. Like fingernails on a blackboard.

Good points.
    I agree that it shouldn't have to be a law, but just like with the seat belt law some people won't use common sense unless you force them to. I brought this up because I keep seeing these commercials here about the sturgis rally and they are saying that last year something like 16 motorcyclists died and 200+ were injured just during that two week period (and thats just in sturgis and the surrounding areas). I don't know how many of these deaths helmets would have prevented but I'm guessing it wouldn't have made it worse either.
    On a side note, if anyone is coming my way for the rally and wants to go shooting while you are here send me a PM.

No stupid helmet law here in Florida...we need the organ donors.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker543 View Post
    Florida requires a helmet for anyone under 21.

Over 21, you have to have - and carry proof of - $10,000 in medical insurance.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

why is it that they can pass a law requiring that everyone has to wear a seatbelt when they are traveling in a car but they don't have a law requiring everyone to wear a helmet on a motorcycle?
    How about a little less intrusion into our lives by the safety police, the health police and the PC police please. Do we really need more rules to further stifle us?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links