Police Women of Memphis

This is a discussion on Police Women of Memphis within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anyone watch this show? I watched a couple yesterday and they actually had a self-defense shooting. I'd say it was a 50-something Caucasian gentleman and ...

Thread: Police Women of Memphis

Police Women of Memphis

Anyone watch this show? I watched a couple yesterday and they actually had a self-defense shooting. I'd say it was a 50-something Caucasian gentleman and a 20-something African-American kid. The cop pulls up onto the scene with other officers already there and EMT's just arriving. The young black man is laying on the ground with a bullet wound on the side of his chest, it looked like it entered and skimmed just underneath the ribcage before leaving again, nothing that would kill him, at least not quickly.

They start loading him up into the ambulance as the officer is talking to the older gentleman. He says (paraphrasing of course) "I was just at the back of my truck here putting oil and gas in the chainsaw when he walked up behind me and pointed a gun at me and said 'You see what I got here? You give me your wallet.' So I said 'Yes I see what you've got.' and I gave him my wallet. Then I pulled my pistol out of my pocket and shot him."

They talk a little more and as they're finishing loading the kid into the ambulance the older gentleman says "That young man there just ruined my day. Hopefully I did the same for him." I thought it was hilarious.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2. Remove Ads

Candid comments, often surpass written comedy for humor.

Hmmm, does that sound like a good shoot? What did the BG do after he got the wallet? I know it's a split second decision. You just don't know if he's gonna go ahead and shoot you anyway, it's easy for my to armchair quarterback this, but I just hope turns out good for the victim (the guy that was robbed).
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

IIRC, they weren't pressing charges. The thing he was most upset about was that they were holding onto his carry piece for a while.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Hmmm, does that sound like a good shoot? What did the BG do after he got the wallet? I know it's a split second decision. You just don't know if he's gonna go ahead and shoot you anyway, it's easy for my to armchair quarterback this, but I just hope turns out good for the victim (the guy that was robbed).
    I think the bolded portion of your statement is the key question. If the goblin was still standing there, I'd say it's a good shoot, as the lethal threat was still present. If he was running away, not so much...

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I think the bolded portion of your statement is the key question. If the goblin was still standing there, I'd say it's a good shoot, as the lethal threat was still present. If he was running away, not so much...
    Agreed, if he immediately ran off with the wallet, call the police etc. Still standing there, probably not good.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Many things can effect if it is viewed as a good shoot. Sequence of events, how the report is written by the handling officer, DA attitude, along with state and/or local statutes. Even if a good shoot, those things will probably be brought up during the trial of the perp by both the DA and the defense during testimony of the victim.

You just handed a guy your wallet with your home address and he has a gun still standing in front of you and you are gonna be thinking if he is still a threat.BTW it was a good shoot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    yes I watch it each week

I saw the episode in question, the BG had 2 shots in his front torso
    He was still holding the gun on the vic so he pulled out his pistol and shot him. The entry wounds on the BG were visible for just a split second

the thing that got me from that incident was the female cop saying she doesn't like people taking the law into their own hands and I got mad...then she said but if this guy (paraphrased) comes up with a gun then by all means defend yourself
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I saw it as well. The thing that I noticed and liked was when the officer was telling the guy that they would have to take is gun for a little bit for evidence, she asked him if he had another one to protect himself with while they had that one.

Distinguished Member
    According to the victim the guy just stood there with the gun still pointed at him so he pulled out his own and shot him.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You just handed a guy your wallet with your home address and he has a gun still standing in front of you and you are gonna be thinking if he is still a threat.BTW it was a good shoot
    +1, at that point his life was still very much in danger.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Righteous shoot, you do what you have to do. No knowing what would come next if he didn't leave with your wallet.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Yup, I watch it, but apparantly missed that episode. One last night was hilarious because the perps are SO stupid they actually 'help' the LEOS! Guy sitting in his caddy that didn't have any tags on it. The cop just pulls up and discovers POUNDS of weed in the car as well....

I like Ms. Aubrey....
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Links