I really hate having surgery

This is a discussion on I really hate having surgery within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Now I can't sleep. Second surgery on my nose in a year. First surgery worked for a little, but then my breathing became worse. So ...

Thread: I really hate having surgery

Now I can't sleep. Second surgery on my nose in a year. First surgery worked for a little, but then my breathing became worse. So now, as I am sitting here, I can't sleep, can't really breathe due to the blood (sorry if anyone is grossed out), and just overall frustrated.

First one was a septoplasty and an interior turbnate reduction, this one was just the turbnate reduction again. I'm 28 years old I thought this stuff was supposed to happen later in life!

Well just thought I would vent. Hopefully nobody is up to read this and they are sound asleep in their beds!
    "Common sense is not so common. Voltaire

Ugh I feel ya. Last night I couldn't sleep because I felt like I couldn't breathe. It was awful. Frustrated is a good word, especially when you are TRYING to rest but can't
    And mine was only due to a stuffed up nose/ears! At least it will get better in a day or two (I hope)

Do you expect to need more surgeries, or is this gonna fix you up for a while??
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member
    Good luck on your surgery, well acquainted with the anguish, last year was told I needed bypass surgery on a Friday but could not be scheduled into the OR until Monday now that was one long weekend.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Well the Doctor told me that it should have continued to last the last time. I can tell you it is such a relief to be able to run, and not have to open your mouth to supplement breathing. I am in the Coast Guard and need to be in decent shape.

What he did this time, again, was remove material from my turbnates, and broke some sort of bone in the back, to give me a little more room. If this surgery doesn't work the final one will remove small pieces of the of my ear to increase the diameter of my nose. I don't like the idea, and would most likely forgo the surgery, and get a nebulizer to sleep or something. He told me the shape of my nose would be different, and I don't think it would be worth it.

I did tell him that if it didn't work, I was going to get my Dewalt drill, and perform my own surgery. He just laughed.

Sounds like what I had a few years ago. Repaired a broken nose, no idea how or when I broke it. And the turbinate reduction. It worked wonders for me that's for sure. I think the turbinates may be making their way back. Seems to be getting a bit stuffy again. That was one miserable recovery. I feel for you. Hope it works out this time.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    Well just thought I would vent. Hopefully nobody is up to read this and they are sound asleep in their beds!
    I'm in Hawaii, so it's not bedtime yet.

Well the Doctor told me that it should have continued to last the last time. I can tell you it is such a relief to be able to run, and not have to open your mouth to supplement breathing. I am in the Coast Guard and need to be in decent shape.
    Is it a military doctor doing the surgery, want me to go into some military medical mishaps I've heard of? They actually give you guys surgery, all we get is some motrin and water and told to change out socks.

I did tell him that if it didn't work, I was going to get my Dewalt drill, and perform my own surgery. He just laughed.
    He laughed because that is exactly what is going to happen after the knock you out.

Seriously, hope it all goes well for ya, medical procedures always make me a bit nervous.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

No it's a civilian doing the surgery. My old man spent 22 years in 82nd, so I've heard alot of crazy stuff, but the CG is so small we don't really have many "Doctors" so we outsource.

Well good luck on the second try with this surgery. Keep it positive as you are fortunate that you have access to get proper medical treatment...in other words, it could be worse.

All the best.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

I sympathize. Had two rhino packs up my beak for seven long miserable days. Good luck man.

I can sympathize with all the comments here. I suffer from sleep apnea and I've been on a CPAP (Constant Positive Air Pressure) machine since 1994 and trust me I use it every night. I've burned through easily 6 machines. Thankfully either my insurance or the VA got me my machines thru the years. About three years ago the VA doc asked me how old I was (rhetorical, he knew) and when I said "about 50" he replied with "Wanna make it to 55?" Well THAT got my attention! He said that I didn't have a lot wrong with me, but what was wrong had the potential to get catastrophic. I was knockin' on the door to Diabetes and some other bad stuff, mostly weight associated. Sleep apnea was a serious factor in taking my dad at age 73 in 1980. Back then they didn't even know what sleep apnea was, but a look at my dad's medical records and it was easy to figure out. So said the Docs. Solution? Well, I weighed just about 305 pounds. I could barely walk up a flight of stairs. Everything hurt. I lost my breath so fast it was incredible. I'd tried for years to diet. Most I ever lost was 40 pounds on Jenny Craig. Then I put it right back on when my little girl got married. And divorced. So I was a perfect candidate for GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY. Yup they wanted to turn my stomach into the size of a shot glass.

I weighed my options and more importantly, check my school board insurance to discover that they would cover it 100% but only for another 8 months. The insurance plans were changing and not for the better. Welcome to the real world of a financial recession that hits everybody. So I decided to go for it. One of the assertions was that it was probable that my sleep apnea would just "go away." This is B-I-G surgery. A decade ago, the mortality rate for this was one in two hundred. That means 1 in 200 will DIE on the operating table. Whoa. The surgical methods have come a long way. Now it is done with a method called "Laparaoscopy." http://www.medicinenet.com/laparoscopy/article.htm This is big surgery through little holes. Anyway, much safer. To wit, my surgery was one of FIVE this doctor (the best bariatric surgeon in the area) did that DAY. At $15K a pop, think this guy is pulling down some bucks? Anyway, I had the surgery and I followed the doctor's post surgical instructions to the letter. I had the surgery June 29th 2009. The first six months was really rough in getting used to my new digestive requirements and needs. But it was "rough" only in being made to pay attention to a new way of eating. I have been very successful and as of about three months ago all the rough stuff just stopped. My body had adapted and I was following the lifestyle 100% as first not second nature. Weighed myself this morning and I weigh 165. You do the math. 305 down to 165. I feel like a new man and look it too. I have been told I look like I'm in my middle 30s and not my almost middle 50s.

But, I still have sleep apnea. Not as bad by a long shot. I'm getting a new machine from the VA in a week or so and it will have the pressure considerably lessened. But it is still there. They think it's because I have a lifelong deviated septum and need a nose job to fix it. I kinda like my nose. So will I have yet another surgery? I dunno. Maybe. It would be nice to not be tied to a machine every night and it gets dicey when a hurricane take the power for a couple of weeks. It would also cure my snoring which is rough on the wife and another reason I'm happy to use the cpap. But the overall benefits of the gastric bypass are far more than I ever expected! So it's something I endorse IF you are really ready to change your life. FOREVER. There are things I can never EVER have for the rest of my life: Carbonated drinks. No beer. No soda. Refined sugar in any form. Beef intake sharply limited. I can eat red meat, but it's tougher to digest so I cut down. Other stuff, too. But that's the gist of it. So if you contemplate big surgery be prepared for big adjustments. Was it worth it for me? 1000000% yes!
    Last edited by ExSoldier; August 11th, 2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: format
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Sponsored Links