Interesting morning...

Interesting morning...

This is a discussion on Interesting morning... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is less than half a mile from my apartment: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-10953545 I got the call right at 0530, and spent the morning at the scene. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting morning...

VIP Member

Interesting morning...

This is less than half a mile from my apartment:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-10953545

I got the call right at 0530, and spent the morning at the scene. Remarkably few casualties for the size of the charge and the amount of property damage - had this happened at 0730 instead of 0530, hundreds would have been killed or injured...

Sometimes my job is a little too interesting...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Damn dude, keep your head down and watch your back.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Lead Moderator
    Less than a half mile... Guess you really didn't have to set your alarm clock then!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Nah, I've slept through worse. We had a 4.3 earthquake here two weeks ago, and I didn't notice...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    Wow. Any ideas on the intended target, or at least what it was about?
    "Just blame Sixto"

You do know that there are better places in the world to live.

VIP Member
    HKinNY - this is one of the best places I've ever lived, and I've lived in seven states (deep south, midwest, northeast, pacific northwest...) and now five countries. Colombia has a TON of positives...the occasional bombing being the big negative. :)

SIXTO - no idea, really. It was right in front of a major media corporation's radio headquarters, but there are banks and other financial institutions nearby. No one has claimed responsibility, and the police are being very careful not to assign responsibility yet, but it has the hallmarks of a FARC operation. The fact that is was done so early in the morning PERHAPS indicates an attempt to make a significant statement with a minimum of casualties but, who knows - the trigger man may just have gotten antsy, of the timer may have been bad. Still a lot more questions than answers at this point.

Watch out for those car bombs brother, they can get pretty nasty. I had to go to scenes of a couple right after they happened. Not fun. Sounds like you need some EOD type bubbas to come dig in the crater and tell ya more about it. I was always amazed at what those guys could tell us about a bomb from some bits and pieces and a crater.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I'm actually a trained post-blast investigator, though it's been a while since I've done it. We have a couple guys from BATFE posted here, and the Colombian National Police is (by necessity) one of the most experienced and competent post-blast units around. We already know the make, model and plate of the car, the amount and type of explosives, the method of detonation, etc... What we don't know is intended target (if any) and the motive (if anything other than "blow stuff up and make headlines.")

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I'm actually a trained post-blast investigator, though it's been a while since I've done it. We have a couple guys from BATFE posted here, and the Colombian National Police is (by necessity) one of the most experienced and competent post-blast units around. We already know the make, model and plate of the car, the amount and type of explosives, the method of detonation, etc... What we don't know is intended target (if any) and the motive (if anything other than "blow stuff up and make headlines.")
    There is probably video of it online somewhere with somebody making noise about doing it, or there will be soon. Guess in places like Columbia it is a little bit harder to figure out motives and stuff than in Iraq. Although there is all the narco-terrorism down there, as you mentioned earlier.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Cripes. Car Bombs.
    Just glad that you weren't taking the dog for a walk.
    Stay safe out there.

VIP Member
    Some more pics of the scene... Worth a quick look.

http://e.eltiempo.com/media/producci...ota/index.html

wow those are some amazing photos, glad you are ok. Stay safe down there and watch your six!

I hope this type of thing never starts in the good old usa .
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    I hope this type of thing never starts in the good old usa .
    I 2nd that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links