VIDEO: Forever 21 Security Puts Choke Hold On Deaf Customer

This is a discussion on VIDEO: Forever 21 Security Puts Choke Hold On Deaf Customer within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What the hell is wrong with this guy? Putting the choke hold on him for shoplifting. Mr. Tough Guy is gonna be fired, we know ...

Thread: VIDEO: Forever 21 Security Puts Choke Hold On Deaf Customer

What the hell is wrong with this guy? Putting the choke hold on him for shoplifting. Mr. Tough Guy is gonna be fired, we know that. He is going to cost the company a lot of money. I am not a fan of stupid lawsuits, but this is deserved. So humiliating.

-Stay Classy Forever21

Link to Consumerist.com article and embedded video

Link to ABC article explaining more
    Last edited by nkanofolives; August 13th, 2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: More detailed atricle added

I sure hope they get fired and sued. I know many people with hearing problems, it doesn't take much to recognize if you're not being tough and stupid.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Not sure if they were shoplifting,even if they were they obviously used excessive force to stop and detain,not to mention cuffing the guy up,if they weren't shoplifting they now own forever 21,if they were shoplifting they may have a case of excessive force.and then again maybe not,Walmarts detectors go off several times a day and usually because an item with a tag didn't get deactivated,Walmart loss prevention will not chase you down and tackle you
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yeah, they deserve to serve quite a bit of time for that.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

VIP Member
    I have to withhold judgment on this, since we don't know what happened at the start. All we have to go on is what the press (which is very seldom reliable) tells us and a video that starts after the altercation begins.

The fact that the suspect was deaf is irrelevant in my opinion. The security guard had no way of knowing that, prior to the incident.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Be careful you don't get nailed for posting this. I was going to post this yesterday until I heard the F bomb get dropped more than once while watching it. I've already been giving an infraction and would hate to see you get one as well.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    The man running around supposedly was trying to explain the receipt was in the bag.There are many level headed security people that know how to handle a situation.This security guy appears to have watched too many MMA matches.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I have to withhold judgment on this, since we don't know what happened at the start. All we have to go on is what the press (which is very seldom reliable) tells us and a video that starts after the altercation begins.

The fact that the suspect was deaf is irrelevant in my opinion. The security guard had no way of knowing that, prior to the incident.
    I agree that we did not see the beginning of the event and the guard had no way of knowing the person was deaf at the beginning. It seems quite clear to me that from the very start of the video the man was deaf. I work with people who have disabilities and we run into this kind of thing often. Recognizing a behavior or disability is not that difficult if you pull yourself out of 'official tough guy' mode and observe for a few seconds. Since we did not see the beginning I'll concede that it 'may' have been necessary to begin with. However, from the beginning of the video I see abuse and ignorance on the part of the two guards.

If I believed the person was violent, I would not have completely released him, but loosened the choke hold so the individual could breath (the big guy obviously had control). I would also have asked 'mr. suit' to allow the friend to come a little closer (maintain safety) to communicate to the person being held. That communication may have diffused the event much more rapidly.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    A plausible scenario: deaf guys leave the store, the inventory system beeps at them (they don't notice), the guards ask them to stop (they don't notice), the guards yell... guards run and grab the mans arm. Not knowing the man grabbing his arm is security (because the guard is in plain clothes) thinks it is a robbery and fights back. Things go south from there.

Many companies have a "no hands on customer" policy that prohibits loss prevention or security guards from touching a customer or suspected shoplifter. It is exactly to prevent this sort of incident, the medical costs, and the lawsuits that come from them.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

Forever 21 will be buying this guy a whole line of new clothes, possibly a car, too!
    The guy may have stolen something, but the store took that to a level that is going to be somewhat expensive.
    I doubt that the shoplifter will be punished much (and he should be punished), but the overreaction on the part of the store will replace the wrong done by the customer (if he did shoplift).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I can't stop thinking about this scenario had the deaf guy been a CCW'r. Let's assume he didn't shoplift, assume, and the cashier neglected to deactivate on of the security devices. That guard went over the top, again assuming that particular situation. This brings up some new concerns like weapon retention, potential unintended escalation of the situation from the sight of a gun in a holster. The guard was not in uniform...couldn't really tell the deaf guy he was security. Had the deaf guy been carrying and some big guy tackled him without cause how would he initially perceive the situation? What about a police response in that scenario....could it have turned out like the Summerlin Costco?

Some security guards just go too far.

I'm waiting to see what happened BEFORE the video rolled. Yes, I'm one of those. You get caught in the act stealing...I don't have a problem with doing whatever is necessary to stop you. Thieves are like large versions of mosquitoes on society and deserve whatever they get.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Sponsored Links