Motorcycle VS Car "This just happened less than 30 minutes ago" - Page 2

Motorcycle VS Car "This just happened less than 30 minutes ago"

This is a discussion on Motorcycle VS Car "This just happened less than 30 minutes ago" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by redline4200 I blame the incident completely on the woman in the first pic. She distracted one of the drivers and Oops, there ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redline4200 View Post
    I blame the incident completely on the woman in the first pic. She distracted one of the drivers and Oops, there it is.
    ^^^^^^^^^This is definitely what I was thinking!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief View Post
    Two wheeled horse Vs four wheeled horse = bad news for two wheeled horse everytine.

^^^^^Old Chief speak truth!!!!!!!!

Must be old and very wise leader of great tribe!!!

In all seriousness, It does look as though the car may have pulled out , because if you look at the damage on the scooter, the fender is bent to one side, giving the appearance of the operator trying to veer at the last moments before impact.JMHO

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."
    ~ Henny Youngman
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

There was a short article about it in the paper today. The driver of the car was attempting to cross the main road so he basically pulled out into the path of the motorcycle rider. I didn't think the rider was at fault as it is rare they are in this sort of accident.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    There was a short article about it in the paper today. The driver of the car was attempting to cross the main road so he basically pulled out into the path of the motorcycle rider. I didn't think the rider was at fault as it is rare they are in this sort of accident.
    Glad that the rider was O.K., but being right, dead right, is not much of a situation to be in...I recently sold my bike after 40 years of riding. I was happy with no accidents, but it was time to move to four wheels (at least I bought a convertible).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The driver of the car was attempting to cross the main road so he basically pulled out into the path of the motorcycle rider.
    The vast majority of motorcycle accidents are from cars turning left in front of the motorcycle.
    Since it was a woman, I'd be willing to bet that she was talking on her cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    The vast majority of motorcycle accidents are from cars turning left in front of the motorcycle.
    Since it was a woman, I'd be willing to bet that she was talking on her cell phone.
    It was a 23 year old male. Not a female.

It was a 23 year old male. Not a female.
    Oops, my bad. Sorry to all women drivers on cell phones. You know who you are. And their numbers are legion.
    So the guy still turned in front of the bike.
    Can I assume the biker wasn't wearing a jacket? Road rash on his elbow. And since it is a H/D, perhaps not a helmet. He is lucky.

I waited at a "T" intersection for an SUV to turn left (I had the stop sign, she had right of way - she's approaching from my right, making a left to go up the road I'm on - I know that many people cut the corner sharp, so I did not proceed to make my right hand turn). Like I thought, she's now on the left side of the main road, cutting the corner SO sharp that it's clear she does not see me sitting there (headlight on but invisible anyway!).
    I blow the horn and she veers around me at the last second. I holler "drive much?" (her window was open) and hear her scream back "I didn't see you". Grrr - couldn't she at least scream "sorry !" ?? I'm positive that if someday they have to scrape my remains from the pavement, the offender will be crying and saying "I never saw him".
    I already had a flashing second brake light. Since that close encounter (not the first one, BTW) I've added an air horn, and a headlight modulator. But there is no substitute for being aware !

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Folks that have been riding very long have become smart enough to avoid contact with other vehicles if possible. That does not mean that longivity procleaves impact, it just means that you do what ever possible to avoid it. Darwin should require everyone to ride a motorcycle 50% of the time. If slothingly in nature 99% of the time. Thin the heard.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    At first blush, this looks like the classical "left turn in front of the bike" scenario.

When possible, a prudent rider changes position slightly in his or her lane when approaching an intersection, since the human eye reacts beter to "lateral" motion than motion directly towards the viewer. Wearing something visible (as opposed to the black over black on a black bike look in this case) is a good idea. Personally, I wear a reflective, fluorescent yellow / orange vest over my armored jacket. And a white helmet.

Matt
    Yesterday, driving opposite directions at a busy intersection on a curve, I noticed - and really noticed - a bike with a ferring like a cop's with a blue stripe at the bottom.

Like this one without any lettering.

Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    But there are those drivers who don't even pay attention to an ambulance right behind them.
    You are 1000% correct, but that's a topic for another thread...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I also always have the brights on, added protection. I try to make eye contact also, but I have had what I thought was eye contact and they pulled out anyway. I swear I am going to buy it someday from a minivan with the driver on the cell phone and a tribe of kids watching videos in the back. And I have four headlights on all the time. I call mine the "invisibike".
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    It's what's commonly known in motorcycle threads as "inattentive blindness." They're looking straight at you, but they're distracted enough so that they're not paying attention.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links