Motorcycle VS Car "This just happened less than 30 minutes ago"

This is a discussion on Motorcycle VS Car "This just happened less than 30 minutes ago" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This happened right down the street from where I live. I had the scanner going so I heard the call go out. Not knowing the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle VS Car "This just happened less than 30 minutes ago"

This happened right down the street from where I live. I had the scanner going so I heard the call go out.

Not knowing the direction of travel of either vehicle I have no clue who was at fault. It did appear the operator of the motorcycle had a broken wrist/arm but it could have been a lot worse.

Two wheeled horse Vs four wheeled horse = bad news for two wheeled horse everytine.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Talking The Woman caused it

I blame the incident completely on the woman in the first pic. She distracted one of the drivers and Oops, there it is.

it looks like the bike hit the car, instead of the other way around, which is probably why the guy didn't get hurt too badly
    but of course that doesn't necessarily = fault
    Would be interesting to know what happened
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    it looks like the bike hit the car, instead of the other way around, which is probably why the guy didn't get hurt too badly
    but of course that doesn't necessarily = fault
    Would be interesting to know what happened
    This happened at a 4 way intersection so it is very hard to tell who is at fault. The car could have pulled infront of the motorcycle or the motorcycle could have run into the car. I doubt I will ever know what did happen.

Typically the car didn't see the bike and turned left in front of him. It's happened to me a few times but no impact. Had a friend killed like that just last week, they had to get a wrecker to lift the car off of him. People are not aware of bikes, they look right at you and do not see you.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

$100 says the car pulled out in front of the bike, looking at the damage.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Folks that have been riding very long have become smart enough to avoid contact with other vehicles if possible. That does not mean that longivity procleaves impact, it just means that you do what ever possible to avoid it. Darwin should require everyone to ride a motorcycle 50% of the time. If slothingly in nature 99% of the time. Thin the heard.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Administrator
    Looking at the dark single track skid mark in the first picture, I'd have to assume that the bike is resting at or close to the point of impact.

Without out seeing the entire layout of the area, I'm guessing the bike approached the intersection a little to fast, and got on the brakes after the car turned left in front of the bike or crossed the intersection in the bikes path.

Also, looking at the front fender, scuff mark on the front tire and the fairing, it appears to be a slow speed impact with one of the vehicles changing direction. That could be the car or the bike, hard to tell with out an overview of the intersection and more pavement markings.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Intersection accidents:
    I've ridden bikes for most of my adult life and here are a few observations:

1. A high percentage of accidents occur in town at intersections.
    2. Many can be avoided by making eye contact with the other driver.
    3. Approaching every intersection there is a "Point of no return" where it is impossible to either speed up or slow down to avoid an accident.
    see number 2 above. MAKE EYE CONTACT.

I make it a point just before leaving the driveway on my bike to tell myself, "You have just become invisible" and then driving that way.

For non-bikers out there - Did you know that every motorcycle ALWAYS has the headlight on? You cannot turn it off when the ignition is in the on position.

In spite of this peole do not see us. Sometimes because we hide behind their window posts and other times because they just don't look.

...Skye... (AKA "The invisible man)

hbc
    This hits too close to home. That's exactly where I ran into a car that made a left immediately in front of me. It's the same old story... "I didn't see you on your motorcycle."

I will bet that the car turned in front of the bike,bike rider braking and cussing as he smacked right rear passenger door
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I know one Harley owner who is about to spend 'thousands' getting back on the road. I hope that he has his insurance paid in full.
    He doesn't look to badly hurt...he's lucky.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    At first blush, this looks like the classical "left turn in front of the bike" scenario.

When possible, a prudent rider changes position slightly in his or her lane when approaching an intersection, since the human eye reacts beter to "lateral" motion than motion directly towards the viewer. Wearing something visible (as opposed to the black over black on a black bike look in this case) is a good idea. Personally, I wear a reflective, fluorescent yellow / orange vest over my armored jacket. And a white helmet.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    I also use modulating high beams. Not wig-wags, which are illegal. But modulating, which are legal in all 50 states and Canada. They're better than static headlights that always can't be judged for distance if you're just glancing quickly. Modulating beams sometimes get their attention. But there are those drivers who don't even pay attention to an ambulance right behind them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links