So, you wanna get an iPhone?

This is a discussion on So, you wanna get an iPhone? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Maybe not after this! A Few Reasons Why Cops LOVE the iPhone… Wow… I’ve been an iPhone user since the day it was launched! I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maybe not after this!
    A Few Reasons Why Cops LOVE the iPhone…

Wow… I’ve been an iPhone user since the day it was launched! I remember paying over $500 for my 1st generation and then ditching it soon after for an iPhone 3G.

I’ve personally decided to wait on the 4, but whether you have the antique first version, the 3G, the 3Gs or the 4 there are some things you should know about why law enforcement agencies are thrilled at Apple’s innovative cell phone technology.

In addition to most cellphones being the center of a “techies” universe, the iPhone is particularly impressive with cops because evidence on the phone is NEVER deleted!

According to an article in the SunTimes, the sophisticated cell phone and mobile computer is becoming as popular with police as it is with consumers because it can provide investigators with so much information that can help in solving crimes.

“When someone tells me they have an iPhone in a case, I say, ‘Yeah!’ I can do tons with an iPhone,” exclaimed one detective, who works in a sheriff’s department high-tech crimes unit.

The devices can help police learn where you’ve been, what you were doing there and whether you’ve got something to hide. And while some phone users routinely delete information from their devices, that step is seldom as final as it seems.

“When you hit the delete button, it’s never really deleted,” explains the detective.

And if you’re doing something criminal, something about your crime is probably going to go through that phone:

• Every time an iPhone user closes out of the built-in mapping application, the phone snaps a screenshot and stores it. Savvy law-enforcement agents armed with search warrants can use those snapshots to see if a suspect is lying about whereabouts during a crime.

• iPhone photos are embedded with GEO tags and identifying information, meaning that photos posted online might not only include GPS coordinates of where the picture was taken, but also the serial number of the phone that took it.

But wait… there’s more!

• Even more information is stored by the applications themselves, including the user’s browser history. That data is meant in part to direct custom-tailored advertisements to the user, but experts said some of it could be useful to police.

Clearing out user histories isn’t enough to clean the device of that data, said John B. Minor, a member of the International Society of Forensic Computer Examiners.

Just as users can take and store a picture of their iPhone’s screen, the phone itself automatically shoots and stores hundreds of such images as people close out one application to use another.

“Those screen snapshots can contain images of e-mails or proof of activities that might be inculpatory or exculpatory,” Minor said.

And last but not least, the keyboard pretty much logs EVERYTHING you’ve ever typed on your phone and the right hacker can identify all of your passwords and more!

• The keyboard cache logs everything that you type in to learn autocorrect so that it can correct a user’s typing mistakes. Apple doesn’t store that cache very securely, Zdziarski contended, so someone with know-how could recover months of typing in the order in which it was typed, even if the e-mail or text it was part of has long since been deleted.

Some if this may seem a bit scary to you iPhone users, but don’t fret. While you’re in possession of one the most innovate cell phones in history, other phones are still trying to catch up.

Pretty soon all mobile phones will have the exact same capabilities. But for right now… it’s just you. So enjoy it while you can and if you plan on conducting illegal activities, don’t own an iPhone!

Read more: http://straightfromthea.com/2010/08/...#ixzz0wjT3GFTL
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

This is definite risk for Chase customers who can take snapshot of a check and deposit into their bank! Guess what? ALL BANKING INFO IS RECORDED!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Seeing as I'm not a BG, this is pretty cool, until hackers start taking advantage of it.
    I'm going to stick with my cheap phone with my cheap plan. Texting is too much as is, I don't need more!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

I don't have one, but I don't reckon for all of us law abiding citizens it's not a problem now is it?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

So what they are saying is that an IPhone has an infinite amount of storage?
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Love mine. I am using it right now to write this. Never away from the DC forum!

VIP Member
    Never mind what the police might do with it, surely there are ways to produce equivalent functionality without giving up our privacy.

No kidding, I have often wondered if outfits like Google and Yahoo aren't somehow secretly CIA FBI operations for gathering info and keeping tabs on folks. It just seems to me a little naive to think they provide all that free service just for giving us some advertisements.

Similarly, I've often wondered why operating systems were designed to only erase the index and not wipe the file. It is almost as if that was a deliberate decision to enhance police work.

And then there is the whole business of transmitting all manner of information beyond IP --name of operating system, name of computer, and retention of history and document history---maybe useful for bosses to track employee activity, and a decent enough boost for law enforcement, but at the cost of allowing lots of mischief.

We need a new internet and new way of operating our computers which protect the user better.

Whatever advantages there are for law enforcement and evidence gathering are far outweighed by privacy issues.

Were I much younger, I'd stay away from these dang machines which can stigmatize you for the rest of your life. Even one post here might come back to haunt you 40 years from now if attitudes change. Think about that.

screw the iphone...GALAXY S all the way baby!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    screw the iphone...GALAXY S all the way baby!
    I want to get one. I messed around with one recently. Heck of a nice phone!

Patrick Henry

Take a picture of something with your Iphone at your house (for example) & the BG can find out the GPS coords of where the picture was taken of the item & come get it.
    Of course this capability can be disabled so the coords would not be imbeded in the picture.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

mkh
    Who cares.

Don't do the crime and the Police won't be looking at your phone. As for the average BG, they aren't smart enough to be able to get to that data.

Everything you say(type) or do on the Internet or your computer is vulnerable. You assess the risks, eliminate some and move on.

If you're concerned about it, just wipe it with a very powerful magnet and all data will be destroyed.

I do wonder when they will come out with a snoop app for parents who want to know what their kid has been up to. It could read the data and present it in a simple manner. Parents would be eager to give the kid a brand new iPhone and the unsuspecting kids would be thrilled and love them to death.

Most of this information applies to your desktop computer as well. Some of it is just pure fear mongering too, especially the information about some enterprising hacker gaining access to the auto-completion database in order to steal passwords.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

EW3
    Probably written by a Droid user.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I don't have one, but I don't reckon for all of us law abiding citizens it's not a problem now is it?
    Until some hacker cleans out your bank account.
    And do you really want everyone reading your e-mail?

That's like the cop saying, "If you don't have anything to hide, mind if I look through your house?"
    Yeah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links