Looking for dive knife suggestions

This is a discussion on Looking for dive knife suggestions within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This doesn't really apply to defensive knives, so I posted it here. But since I am based in Hawaii I am trying to get more ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for dive knife suggestions

Looking for dive knife suggestions

This doesn't really apply to defensive knives, so I posted it here. But since I am based in Hawaii I am trying to get more involved in some of the outdoors activities here. I've always been big on snorkeling/spear fishing here, but I'm starting to get some better quality gear for it and take it a bit more seriously. As the title suggests, I am looking for a good dive knife. Just something that is well built, durable and able to be used for a variety of tasks. And maybe for a bit of psychological easiness when I'm out by the hammerhead breeding grounds (I know I would actually be screwed, but hey, its a psychological comfort, like a safety blanket.) I would like to spend under $100 on it. I know the PX has some here, so I need to check it out and see how what brands they are and how expensive.

So, any of you folks who have more experience with this kind of thing, I'd appreciate the advice. I'm still not sure I really need one, but hey, I like knives, and can always use a good excuse to buy a new one.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    In the old days you wanted a knife you could take apart, oil, etc. Today it's the opposite. Some serrations and maybe a line-cutting indent are useful features.

Only time I've ever needed one was to cut a discarded fishing net to free some trapped wildlife. The goal underwater is to be as streamlined as possible, and anything that interrupts your profile is a bad thing. So over the years my dive knives got smaller. Whatever you carry should be small and fit in a BC pocket.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Administrator
    Are you looking for a Titanium blade?

The Ocean Master Beta & the Underwater Kinetics are two good ones. They are both standard dive knife blunt points though.

For Shark - Take a look at the WASP Injector. Definitely a ton of effective coolness factor for killing shark.

I'm not sure if I want a titanium blade or not QK, I neeed to do more research. I've seen the WASP injector, it is cool. Most of the swimming is done in bays around the island and stuff, so the big sharks aren't really an issue, except off one beach which is by a big hammerhead breeding ground, but still, they pretty much leave you alone most of the time.

I figure something with a fixed blade about 4" is probably along the lines of what I want. Right now my swimming kit is just snorkel, mask, fins and a spear if I am fishing, no spear if I'm not. I'm pretty sure I can add a knife with a decent sheath and still be ok in the water.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    I'm (for sure) no expert in dive knives.
    My only real "dive knife" qualification being that I've seen, held, & fiddled around with the two that I've mentioned above. The quality seemed quite decent.
    Titanium is tough & tenacious stuff but, it's not as tough as properly hardened & tempered Stainless.
    Titanium is extremely corrosion resistant though but, I'm (just best guessing) that a good, high quality Nickel Stainless blade would do as well or better (in general)

There is a certain Mystique to Titanium.

I did see one custom dive knife once that featured a blade of Beryllium Copper. The blade looked like Gold. Neat but, I know nothing more about it.

VIP Member
    It has sadly been about 30 years since I last went diving. I was however then an avid diver and accumulated very many hours of highly varied diving; Lake Erie to abandoned mine quarries in SE Ohio, to open ocean in the Carib. and winter time night dives in lakes.

I'm going to start with the idea that the only thing you really need a diver's tool for is cutting yourself loose from some tangle--forget about sharks or barracuda or eels; they'll leave you alone anyway, but if they want to eat you you're out of luck. Maybe a bang stick would help; but I'd not bet my life on a diver's tool.

And, there is always the issue of legal blade length.

You want a large handle because you might be wearing gloves and you want some heft, but it is easy to get silly and go overboard on blade length and weight.

Somewhere in a closet I have a brand new rather large and heavy diver's tool that has never even been wet. I can't find it just now and think I may have placed it in hiding, for my own protection in case someone gets into the house. I think it is in the "secret" hiding place with my ammo stash.

I'd be willing to snap a photo, give you the weight and dimensions, and cut a deal if you want it, but truthfully I considered it too large for my needs when I was actively diving. Send me a pm if you want to pursue this. Much as I don't mind parting with mine, I would not buy a large heavy diver's tool like it in todays world. I think the blade may be about 10-12 inches and the dang thing can practically replace a lead weight.

Administrator
    buckeye is going to need a solid knife that is strong enough to pry up heavy Gold bars & Ingots and massive amounts of Silver bullion & ancient coins that are encased in coral.

Whoops! Sorry buckeye. I didn't mean to blow the lid right off your sunken treasure discovery. I know that you told me that you wanted to keep it secret and under wraps for a while.

I have been diving now for about a year and in that time I have logged around 30 dives and this is what I always carry. It has worked great for me and the only maintenance I really do is just wash it in fresh water after a dive and it has stayed pretty much new since I have had it. I live about an hour away from the Florida Keys so diving for me is pretty regular and I have not gone without it. It is inexpensive and from my times shopping at PX's I have not seen this brand but I am sure yours is different.

http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-di...s-knife-point/
    The only time you can have too much ammo is in water or in fire

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    buckeye is going to need a solid knife that is strong enough to pry up heavy Gold bars & Ingots and massive amounts of Silver bullion & ancient coins that are encased in coral.

Whoops! Sorry buckeye. I didn't mean to blow the lid right off your sunken treasure discovery. I know that you told me that you wanted to keep it secret and under wraps for a while.
    Well my old diver's tool would be just right. You could pry an engine block loose with it.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Everything out here is all picked over already, at least of the coast of this island. But there is still tons of cool stuff to see.

Hopyard, I appreciate the offer, but it sounds like your dive tool is much larger than what I am looking for. I realize that most critters will just leave me alone, I've been snorkeling out here on and off for the last 2 and 1/2 years. But still, just in case of something like getting tangled up, I do want to find a knife.

Glock Block, looks interesting, thanks.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I do quite a bit of freediving and spearing myself. I don't get much into the knives; as long as it works and doesn't rust, I'm happy with it. With that said, I like dive knives to have at least partly a serrated blade. I think it's most likely I'll ever use a dive knife (in a survival situation) to cut myself free from some rope or net I've gotten tangled with, and I think serrated blades can cut through that type of stuff fastest.

The last one I got (twenty some years ago) was a pretty basic U.S. Divers knife. Flat tip, nicely beveled for getting under stuff for prying, a ruler on one side, and a notched spine for cutting monofillament line and such. Came with a nice countoured sheath that fit my right calf nicely. Only thing I didn't like was the straps. I ditched the rubber ones and got some nylon/velcro ones with spring loaded buckles. Much more comfortable than the rubber.

If you are looking for shark medicine a friend used to have a "shark dart". It was basically an ice pick with a hollow spike, and a CO2 cartridge in the handle. It had a little orange safety clip that had a retaining wire on it so you couldn't lose. IIRC the butt was threaded so you could mount it on a spear.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Administrator
    "I think it's most likely I'll ever use a dive knife (in a survival situation) to cut myself free from some rope or net I've gotten tangled with, and I think serrated blades can cut through that type of stuff fastest."

That would be about the best reason I could think of to always have a good cutting implement available sub surface.

Buckeye, this is what I carry with me every dive. I opted for the titanium blade and neoprene grip, but I tend to dive at least every month during warm weather. I carry it on my right leg about where a thigh holster would sit. I have no complaints! I hope this helps.
    http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-30/0...ive-Knife.html
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Everything out here is all picked over already, at least of the coast of this island. But there is still tons of cool stuff to see.

Hopyard, I appreciate the offer, but it sounds like your dive tool is much larger than what I am looking for. I realize that most critters will just leave me alone, I've been snorkeling out here on and off for the last 2 and 1/2 years. But still, just in case of something like getting tangled up, I do want to find a knife.

Glock Block, looks interesting, thanks.
    You absolutely need a a diver's tool (knife). What I was hopefully conveying is to think about what you will use it for, how it will fit your hand (bare? gloved nylon? leather? Wet suit glove?) and whether or not it will cut fishing line and fish netting of the sort you are likely to encounter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links