Pawn Shop in MI show

Pawn Shop in MI show

This is a discussion on Pawn Shop in MI show within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was watching a new show about a pawn shop in Michigan,after an altercation in the store,and the unarmed big security guys failing miserably to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pawn Shop in MI show

Pawn Shop in MI show

I was watching a new show about a pawn shop in Michigan,after an altercation in the store,and the unarmed big security guys failing miserably to handle it.The owner decided things are getting really bad and that they need to get armed,They go to a LGS with a range,after trying out and firing several guns the people choose which gun they want to carry,they then pick out holsters.The pawn shop owner asks if he can get a deal on the holsters,and the LGS owner flipped out and told them he knew it,I guess relating to trying to get stuff cheaper and ended up tearing up the 4473's and kicking them out.The Pawn shop owner is like wow unbelievable,who in their right mind throws away a $3000 sale over somebody asking if they can get a deal on a holster.
    (When I saw the previews I thought the Pawn guy or somebody in his group were handling a firearm irresponsibly or swept somebody)
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Saw that yesterday - "Hardcore Pawn" - interesting. I saw a couple of possibly sketchy things go on in the range segment, but nothing like a muzzle crossing a body. Hard to say what the gun store owner got so torqued about, but from the edited version we saw on the telly it sure made him out to be a jerk.

Now I recall - when the pawnshop owner Les pulled his own piece and laid it on the counter to see if the new gun fit his "pouch", I wasn't happy that he neither announced he was pulling his own gun, nor did he clear it before placing it on the counter. I didn't see him sweep anyone in view, but he might have swept someone off camera.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Saw that yesterday - "Hardcore Pawn" - interesting. I saw a couple of possibly sketchy things go on in the range segment, but nothing like a muzzle crossing a body. Hard to say what the gun store owner got so torqued about, but from the edited version we saw on the telly it sure made him out to be a jerk.

Now I recall - when the pawnshop owner Les pulled his own piece and laid it on the counter to see if the new gun fit his "pouch", I wasn't happy that he neither announced he was pulling his own gun, nor did he clear it before placing it on the counter. I didn't see him sweep anyone in view, but he might have swept someone off camera.
    I haven't seen this show, but I would imagine that there was more going on behind the scenes and that is what set the guy off. The holster question was probably just the "last straw".

It may even have been set up that way. How dramatic is a trip to the gun shop, really? Got to get those ratings!

An for the conspiracy folks, it was a plot by the producers to make the gun industry look like a bunch of nut-jobs.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I saw that part where he unholstered and never cleared his gun,even tho the gun never swept anyone I could see,it wasn't til the end he went off,I think they may have talked him down on pistol prices since they were buying several and when they brought up a discount on holsters he went off
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I thought it had to be haggling prices that eventually blew him up. Also it was the end of the business day, so maybe they kept them way past closing time.

The store owner said "I knew it when you came in...." "I just knew it" something like that. I think he meant that a pawn store owner will haggle incessantly over every little thing.

Ex Member

I laughed my ass off at his "POUCH" comment. What is he a kangaroo?

I'm not sure how much the Pawn Store guy talked the LGS owner down on the guns and accessories, but i'm sure it wasn't nearly as much as he lost on a free nation wide ad on tv.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I'm not sure how much the Pawn Store guy talked the LGS owner down on the guns and accessories, but i'm sure it wasn't nearly as much as he lost on a free nation wide ad on tv.
    They made the owner look like a looney, but they did show his stores sign a few times.(Target Sports! Boom, from memory! Who says extreme alcohol abuse rots the brain) I bet he at least got some people asking for the whole story.

You didn't catch it ...... they had kept him "LATE" and he was wanting to hurry up , close up and get out of there to go home. I think he was "ticked" they had kept him past closing time in order to make the sale, and then when they asked for a deal on the holsters, he just popped a cork.

What concerned me , was the way he (clerk) tore up the paperwork, grabbed the gun.... supposedly cleared it ..... half-hazardly .... and never actually checked the chamber was empty, etc.

The guy (clerk) had a temper that wasn't in check, and shouldn't have done what he did, nor handled the gun in the manner he did.
    I would have walked out and never would go back to the place if a clerk acted anything close to that...... I don't care what the reason. When he told the clerk, "Hey, that's my gun", I'm taking it the cash had already passed hands and the NICS check completed.... I still wouldn't care, I would ask for a return of my money and they could kiss that money goodbye, I sure would NOT fill out another 4473 for him or give him a dime of my money.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    I suspect that if someone showed up a a place of business w/ a TV production crew, the owner might be a tad edgy/feisty.

Then, as someone said, we don't know what was cut before the "blowup." BTDTGTDT! An Agency I work for always video taped all interviews (including the breaks in the media's taping) and on occasion got a retraction from major media for their misrepresentations.

Then to set him up for a price hassle to be shown on TV?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    What do you expect from "reality" TV. The producers are going to make sure they get something that will help their ratings. I'd be willing to bet the Pawn Shop owner was told before hand to press the LGS Owners buttons.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyWeelgun View Post
    They made the owner look like a looney, but they did show his stores sign a few times.(Target Sports! Boom, from memory! Who says extreme alcohol abuse rots the brain) I bet he at least got some people asking for the whole story.
    I must have missed that, I do remember seeing a sign that said "Indoor Range, Entrance Here"
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    WoW.!!! I have been in that shop before, many times, pre-2000. Only been in once since then, (2009), and they seemed as cordial as I remembered from the past.

They are in a very good location, (Woodward), Just S. of Birmingham. Very high real estate, and people with lots of money to spend.

Its most likely they rarely if ever, get anyone in there who tries to talk them down on price on anything. Maybe he was just wanting to get out of there, and they were messing with him??

• Why is it illegal to park in a handicapped parking space but its ok to use a handicapped toilet?
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Keep in mind reality shows need tension to keep the audience interested.
    All reality shows gin up situations to be interesting.
    Do you think the Orange County Chopper guys really fight like that? It's a show!

Once producers discovered reality shows, they new the public would watch ANYTHING.

I recently caught the show. I am amazed at what people will try to pawn/sell in those shops. I saw people actually trying to unload a set of dentures. Who in the world would take that?
    My family: Glock 19, SW Sigma 40VE, Ruger SP101(.357), GSG-5k pistol (MP5 clone)(.22LR), Makarov .380

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links