Judge in Norfolk throws out piracy charge against 6 Somalis

This is a discussion on Judge in Norfolk throws out piracy charge against 6 Somalis within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://hamptonroads.com/node/565575 "The court finds that the government has failed to establish that any unauthorized acts of violence or aggression committed on the high seas constitutes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Judge in Norfolk throws out piracy charge against 6 Somalis

VIP Member

Judge in Norfolk throws out piracy charge against 6 Somalis

http://hamptonroads.com/node/565575

"The court finds that the government has failed to establish that any unauthorized acts of violence or aggression committed on the high seas constitutes piracy," U.S. District Judge Raymond A. Jackson said in his ruling.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

"The court finds that the government has failed to establish that any unauthorized acts of violence or aggression committed on the high seas constitutes piracy," U.S. District Judge Raymond A. Jackson said in his ruling.
    Hm. I would think the definition of "piracy" is illegal acts of violence or aggression committed on the high seas.

Either this was a miscarriage of justice, or the attorneys failed to prove their case. The justification was that "Attorneys for the Somalis argued that because there was no attempt to rob or seize the Ashland, the piracy law does not apply." I have no idea about the wording of the specific piracy statute(s) being claimed in the case. Perhaps it does require attempt to seize a boat in order to apply. Does any know, specifically?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    and people wonder why there are pirates... at least the other charges are sticking for now
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I was watching a segment of a detachment of seals on an intercept anti piracy ship,after responding to cries for help a sea knight chopper is dispatched to overwatch while the seals approach in two rigids,usually by the time the seals show up there are no weapons in the boat and they claim they are fishing with no fishing gear,the seals have to let them go,I could sense extreme frustation at the rules of engagement they had to work against,In one part it actually looked like a pirate boat was gonna attack the US warship,but at the last second,and there was a guy with an RPG in the bow,they realised what they were about to fire on,had they continued they would have encountered a hail of gunfire that wouldn't have left enough pieces for a small shark to feast on.
    After the pirates tried to leave,the captain ordered full steam ahead and as they passed the pirate ship ordered hard to port,essentially circling the ship and causing huge waves inside"what I called the circle of death when I used this same technique pulling people on a tube"the pirates eventually gave up after there engines were flooded out.We ***** foot around these issues when we should use every means available to stop them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would have to agree with the judge on this one. Taking who is who out of the equation, how is their attack (while illegal in our view) any different from the U.S. Navy firing on Iranian gun boats (illegal under Iranian law) in the straits of Hormuz? If we call their attack on a U.S. vessel piracy why would our attack on a foreign flagged vessel not be?
    Instead of a policy that has us debating definitions like this we should just be feeding the fish with these guys and letting judges deal with more serious issues like Anna Nichole Smith's estate settlement.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Who knew? If you kill someone, but don't capture their vessel, you're not a pirate.

All the more reason for ships to defend themselves.

That's why you don't take prisoners. Shoot them and let them be fishfood.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

One more reason for the Navy to not take any pirates as prisoners.

Come on guys... You're not a pirate unless you have a parrot on your shoulder. Sheesh... Everyone knows that!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I like the way the Russians handle pirates. They eventually turned them loose in their boat after being ordered to. Then they sailed on, but the pirate boat must have sprung a leak because it never made it home. The only successful way to deal with pirates and smugglers is to make the cost greater than the benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Come on guys... You're not a pirate unless you have a parrot on your shoulder. Sheesh... Everyone knows that!
    And you're wearing the $2 earrings..................a buck an ear!

"If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Soon this group (with the help of the ACLU) will sue the gov't, stay in the USA for a couple years while the lawsuit is being fought, and when it's all over they will collect a few million + a green card......sarcasm off.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Instead of a policy that has us debating definitions like this we should just be feeding the fish with these guys and letting judges deal with more serious issues like ...
    Yup.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sounds like the Judge actually read the caselaw on point and applied it as he should have.

Maybe...he was, I duno...doing the job he was appointed to do in a fair, impartial manner rather than giving in to bias or political arguments?

Kinda like a judge should do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links