A friend was turned down for a job because... - Page 4

A friend was turned down for a job because...

This is a discussion on A friend was turned down for a job because... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by atctimmy Well said Sir, and thank you for not getting upset. Freedom can be very frustrating, but IMO it's better than the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Well said Sir, and thank you for not getting upset. Freedom can be very frustrating, but IMO it's better than the alternative. I hope your friend finds a great job elsewhere.
    Kim Jong-il what?! Freedom can indeed be frustrating my friend, but you hit it on the head. Now if only I could buy a tank...
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    My point is that you put a young single female in a shop full of young single males and you very likely will end up with more socializing going on than work, and then if a relationship does happen there is jealously that also hurts the work environment. 37 years in industry and I have seen this story play out many times... some times good many times bad..... but more bad, if it was my shop and it was a small one I would not hire her for that very reason. Bottom line romance in the work place possible or otherwise real bad idea and it should be discouraged.
    So, you won't hire someone just in case someone might do something? So employees can't control themselves? I guess you shouldn't hire anyone of the same background or ethnicity that you read about in the police blotter--because they might commit a crime....because that is what I'm reading.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

What if an obese woman applies for a job at a high-profile health food store?
    Remember that case brought to court by those guys who wanted to get hired as Hooters girls? Guys wanting to get hired as Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders? There's a reason the aestheticians in department stores all look like models. Abercrombie and Fitch has successfully defended their hiring practices. Ads for warehouse workers often state physical requirements for the job. Fire departments have fairly brisk requirements for applicants regarding strength and agility.

The law, as established by precedent does indeed allow employers to be selective when a job requires certain kinds of individuals to the exclusion of others. Y'know, the way some people talk, you get the impression that an employer has to hire the first person who walks through the door. Ain't like that.

Over the years I've interviewed easily over a thousand people and hired dozens, in various firms I've worked for. In virtually every case we hired the person that we liked the most. That seems to be how it works. You advertise a job. You get resumes. You call in applicants, and you pick the one you like best. If you like none, then you run the ad again. Repeat until job filled.

The law, and the government by extension, is not an evil, leering monster that jumps out of dark corners to mug the hapless employer who only wanted to pick the best person for the job, but too bad and oh boo hoo the crybaby PC rules and regulations put the strip club owner out of business because he had to hire a bunch of obese male truck drivers instead of pretty girls.

But that's not the problem here.

Another thing to keep in mind, of course, is why the law does work the way it does and what we're trying to accomplish. Remember that scene in the ice cream store in Billy Jack? The bully... what's his name? ... Benard! Bernard comes in to defend the racist shop owner who doesn't want to serve the multicultural children of the Freedom School. He says something like, "Bob here just wants to run his business and he has the right to serve the kind of people he wants..." Too bad for him Billy Jack shows up.

And I see all the people who want this female welder denied a job as being like that store owner, as being like Bernard, as being like the hotel operator who won't rent a room to "the wrong people," and something inside me - the values I learned that say we protect the underdogs and always try to accommodate people who are trying their best and just asking for fair treatment - that something inside me sees an injustice. It doesn't really matter to me how that situation is resolved, just so long as at the end of the day, that woman flips down her helmet, fires up the torch, and starts welding.

Maybe the way we get there is through a lawsuit. Maybe through arbitration. Or maybe a friend of hers shows up and explains some facts of life to the guy. At the end of the day, I don't want to see this person's dream crushed and snuffed out because some idiot good ol' boy doesn't know the difference between right and wrong.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post

And I see all the people who want this female welder denied a job as being like that store owner, as being like Bernard, as being like the hotel operator who won't rent a room to "the wrong people," and something inside me - the values I learned that say we protect the underdogs and always try to accommodate people who are trying their best and just asking for fair treatment - that something inside me sees an injustice. It doesn't really matter to me how that situation is resolved, just so long as at the end of the day, that woman flips down her helmet, fires up the torch, and starts welding.

Maybe the way we get there is through a lawsuit. Maybe through arbitration. Or maybe a friend of hers shows up and explains some facts of life to the guy. At the end of the day, I don't want to see this person's dream crushed and snuffed out because some idiot good ol' boy doesn't know the difference between right and wrong.
    So I take it you would rather crush the "idiot good ol' boy" and his dream of running HIS business the way he sees fit. Remember it's his business, he's laid out loads of capital, time and his lifes blood to get his business where he wants it to be. What right do you (or any one else) have to tell him he HAS to hire the person you think is better than the person he thinks is best.

No matter how you slice it if you let some higher power make the decisions about who gets hired you are no longer free. This is America after all and you are free to your opinion and I am free to hold a different opinion. In the end people are free to be bigots and fools too, it's what freedom is all about.
    Last edited by atctimmy; August 29th, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

This is off the EEOC website.

http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/coverage.cfm

Whether you feel this is fair or not. If a business (private or government) hires people off the street, these are the laws they must abide by, or face Administrative or Judicial penalties.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Oh, yes it is. That's my whole point. If I'm paying the wage, I should have the right to look and judge before I hire.

Was that the only thing you disagree with or would you care to respond to my Victoria's Secret example?
    if you want someone to be strong enough to lift something for a job then SAY SO, and maybe even test them. some people are much stronger than they look
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I gotta agree with stanislaskasava. He who signs the checks makes the rules.

Yeah, its to bad she did not get the job, and yeah, it was unprofessional to make the comment he made. But, at the end of the day, he has to decide what is best for his shop. And apparently, you friend was not the best for his shop. She might be a great worker and a talented welder, but if she is going to cause problems for everybody else then that needs to be considered.
    Me too SIXTO. I'm really weary of the government deciding who private industry must hire.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links