my dog

my dog

This is a discussion on my dog within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I saw a flea on my dog and tried to grab it, and i think i accidentally hurt her a little bit when I did, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my dog

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

my dog

I saw a flea on my dog and tried to grab it, and i think i accidentally hurt her a little bit when I did, now she won't come to me and she growls and nips at me when I reach for her, will she eventually forgive me, I put some cheese under the bed for her to say I'm sorry
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Give her a full blown flea bath. That's what she needs. Run the water first before you ever hint at what you're up to or you'll scare her. Get a good dip, not Hartz or anything available at the local marts. Need to find a coop or farm store for the good ones. Spare little expense for the dog. Get the Flea and tick granules to spread on your lawn. Most of them (even what's available at Wal mart) will do the job. Your dog will forgive you once you've started taking care of the problem. One flea means thousands. If your dog already has them, then she's probably suffering more than you know. If you have carpet in your house, the remediation is going to take a lot more than you expected.
    Your dog will forgive you once the problem has been solved.....the minute she starts to feel better actually. But it will be a maintenance issue for a very long time.

Thanks RamRod, I worry about my little girl, even though she acts all tough, shes a softie and I'd hate to have her mad at me for long
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

The monthly Flea, Tick and Heartworm meds (or topicals) are the easiest way to go (year-round) in the long run, after you've fixed the current problem (see RR's ideas). Advantage, Revolution, and others are available. Ask your Vet.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

the cheese worked, mom brought flea medicine home from work and we medicated and bathed the dog, then i gave her a piece of those ham and cheese combo things and she loves me again!!

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    the cheese worked, mom brought flea medicine home from work and we medicated and bathed the dog, then i gave her a piece of those ham and cheese combo things and she loves me again!!
    Glad to hear that! It is always terrible when mans best friend doesn't like you8-(
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Dang..... what did you do to your dog ? Dogs forgive quickly.... unlike humans.

If I were a dog, I would hold out for a steak.

I always heard feeding dogs a garlic pill a day works, so asks some Vets and they all say it works. It changes their skin odor and fleas don't like it.
    No, we can't smell it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Too bad that don't work on women,diamonds ain't cheap
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My dog is a hunting dog. With that said, at least several times a year, she ends up with burs in her paws or little cuts in her pads, all of which I take care of. Yes, it's uncomfortable to her when I take care of these things, but I have done it ever since she was a puppy and she knows that I am making it better and trusts me. Even when I clean her ears - which she hates! - she feels better afterwards and almost always comes over to my chair within 30 minutes to say, "thanks!"

However, I don't tolerate my dogs growling at me ever (in an agressive manner, that is) and would not recommend you do so. Dogs are pack animals, and if you are not the pack leader, they are. This does not mean you can't have a loving, friendly relationship with your companion; it just means they know who the boss is - similar to having kids.

For what it's worth however, I only have experience reading about, researching, working, and training Labs. Other breeds can be different.

My point is: she'll forgive you and will probably even be thankful!

I saw a flea on my dog and tried to grab it, and i think i accidentally hurt her a little bit when I did, now she won't come to me and she growls and nips at me when I reach for her, will she eventually forgive me, I put some cheese under the bed for her to say I'm sorry
    I think you have issues if your dog is growling and nipping at your for any reason.

Heck I think you have issues if your cat is scratching you too. I'm the boss around here. I can put on medicine that stings, or clip toenails on all species, and give baths to my cats, whatever. Doesn't mean they like it, doesn't mean they don't try to run away or hide, but growling/scratching/biting mama is a big No No.
    You should be the boss of your pets, but aggression towards you means that they think they can boss you around. Your dog is telling you to "back off" and you are letting her control you. Bad.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member
    You want to get rid of the fleas and keep them from coming back. They'll get in your house and bite you as well. That's when the real fun begins. You have to treat your flooring and carpet and of course your ankles will be constantly itching and red.

There are plenty of sprays, dips, topical drops, collars, prescription meds etc., to get the job done. Just do it.

As for the growling, I agree but must confess that one of my present dawgs will growl at me. I allow it because we make a game of it and she stops when I indicate the game is over. But in general, there can be only one lead dog, and it is the owner.
    Your dog has to know the limits. BUT, you too must know the limits. It sounds like you hurt your dog either accidentally or by being excessively vigorous and not minding that the dog would feel the pain. Now your dog is scared of you. Fix that with kindness.

Adams flea an tick shampoo is Gods gift to a dog! Some real good stuff.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    I think you have issues if your dog is growling and nipping at your for any reason.

Heck I think you have issues if your cat is scratching you too. I'm the boss around here. I can put on medicine that stings, or clip toenails on all species, and give baths to my cats, whatever. Doesn't mean they like it, doesn't mean they don't try to run away or hide, but growling/scratching/biting mama is a big No No.
    You should be the boss of your pets, but aggression towards you means that they think they can boss you around. Your dog is telling you to "back off" and you are letting her control you. Bad.
    ^^^What she said^^^

Dogs communicate through all sorts of vocalizations and mouthing techniques. Some growling or moaning is acceptable; and some mouthyness is even acceptable. [B](BUT; as their owner, "you" need to know the difference.)

To address your flea problem:
    I discovered that there is an excellent rx flea and tick med called "Comfortis"; you can get from the vet. (It's definitely better than anything over the counter.)

well, the biggest thing that got her loving me again was my mom got her from under the bed, and then I came in and started petting her on the head, then she started licking me and now we're friends again. So what do I do when she growls and nips at me if she does it again?

All it "should" take is a firm, "No." However, depending on how old the dog is and whether or not it truly understands the meaning of "no," you may have to be more forceful. I don't want to comment further than that because depending on the breed and individual dog, you physically reprimanding it could escalate the situation. How old is the dog?

For the flea's, I find Frontline works well, but is very pricey. We used to give our dogs a few pills of Brewers Yeast with their food every day and that seemed to keep all the bugs off of them. I may go back to doing that with my current dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links