I need some advice from people older/wizer than me

This is a discussion on I need some advice from people older/wizer than me within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I guess I'm and old wizer (once or twice a night anyway...) Giving up a job in this economy doesn't sound very smart to me. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need some advice from people older/wizer than me

I guess I'm and old wizer (once or twice a night anyway...) Giving up a job in this economy doesn't sound very smart to me. How about she looks for a new job first that is closer to "her dream." I now have th luxury of living on income that I don't have to earn - they just give it to me for having worked so long. I can, and occasionally do, just quit a job because I don't feel like working or want to do something else - no $$ penalty attached.

If she is very unhappy at what she is doing and it crosses her 'pain' threshold, then get the heck out. If not, look around first.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    If you have no debt & own your home then count your blessing Brother because you are already better off than the vast majority of folks in the U.S.A. right now.

But, Look at this U.S. economy right now with a HUGE question mark for the future.

Consider also that your paycheck & mine and everybody elses will be worth less in the coming years and utilities Natural Gas, Electric, Food etc. prices are going to stay OK for a while longer and then may skyrocket at the same time the value of a dollar declines. In short the price of everything is eventually going to go up after a short tick of prices going down.

With the way things are now. I would tell her to stick it out for a while longer and use her paycheck to buy physical Gold in the form of Canadian Maple Leafs and American Gold Eagles.

Just one mans personal opinion.

Greater the risk...greater the reward. Personally I'd go after my dream if I wasn't going lose my house and all I had to do was tighten my belt to give it a try. Depending on the dream she has....timing can be everything. Recessions have a way of creating opportunity. My income comes from taking risks, period. I've ridden the economic roller coaster up and then dropped off a cliff. It sucks to tighten your belt but it can pay dividends. If she's in a position to take advantage of an timing and relative stability, can position herself for the upswiing (depending on the endeavor), she may be able to create something beyond what you both had envisioned. It takes certain type of personality to be able to emotionally handle the risk. You also have to be able to look forward past the negativity in the news related to the economy. My wealthy clients saw it coming first and stock piled cash...they are now looking to the future and investing in opportunities....that's how they got rich in the first place. I think by asking the "older and wiser" you'll by default get answers that will suggest the conservative safe route. I'm young enough (34) that I can rebuild if a gamble fails.....some are within 10 yrs of retirement age and could not get back on their feet should an endeavor nose dive. Take risks, calculated ones, some will work some won't but its incredibly satisfying when you build something for yourself and possibly your kids.

I say go for it!

I'm with those who said, begin working on the dream in your/her spare time. Decide if it's viable before she jumps ship from her current job. Also, I'd be sure you have the traditionally advised 3-6 months of savings in the bank before she leaves. That way if (heaven forbid) you lost your job, you've got some time to recover.

Brian

Administrator
    I love these sorts of threads because after 35 different people give him 25 different answers...he still won't know exactly what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I love these sorts of threads because after 35 different people give him 25 different answers...he still won't know exactly what to do.
    That's what I thought this morning but I actually have an answer. She is going to keep the job, we are going to live on my check and bank hers. She is going to start planning her dream out further.

I thank all of you who have given advise, it has all helped in making this decision.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Administrator
    Whatever you ultimately decide & no matter if you change your mind or she hers. Hope that it all works out for both.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    That's what I thought this morning but I actually have an answer. She is going to keep the job, we are going to live on my check and bank hers. She is going to start planning her dream out further.

I thank all of you who have given advise, it has all helped in making this decision.
    That sounds like a smart choice to me. Good luck.
    "Just blame Sixto"

After re-reading my last post I feel I should add this: this was a mutual decision not one I made for her.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Sounds like a wise plan to me...

Brian

Agreed. When the times right (and the economy a litte better) go for it......just make sure your both set-up and ready to jump.

Regardless, best of luck to the both of you!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

That is what I would suggest. I'm glad you chose that route.
    We too can get by OK on one check (and still keep the internet) but it's hard. Everyday things that go out on you are suddenly major problems, because there is no "oh we can wait on this till next payday" because there IS no leftover money next payday. It gets depressing when you're unemployed.
    What happens if your main vehicle needs a new battery, alternator, CV joint, or other $100 part, and there's only $20 leftover after the bills are paid and you HAVE to fix the truck now to get back and forth to work. Ouch.
    What if your a/c goes out on in 100+ degree weather? Maybe you could limp along with fans (some people do) but who really wants to?
    What if your refrigerator goes out? You might get by using a laundromat if your washer goes, but it's pretty tough to get by without a fridge.
    Point is, just because the living-expense bills are covered, doesn't mean you're "home free"
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Long story short:

My wife is unhappy in her current job, has been for a while now.

Is life too short to be unhappy?

There are no other jobs available really in our area, she makes decent pay(more than me). We have no debt, own our home.

We can live off my check but will have no savings money.

She does have a dream and some ideas. Is now the right time to leave her job and try to grab her dream.

I struggle with this because I have never left a job without another job lined up.

If you had no bills except utilities and such; TV, Ins., security, power, gas, food, etc. what would you do?
    Being "happy" in life involves a lot more things than you may realize at this point. Having a wife that understands you, and that you understand her, and with the open channels of communication, you'll both get it right somehow. It's a give and take and acceptance. I recently got out of my job due to stress. My wife completely understands. Been three weeks with no paycheck. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Main thing is, that you make a commitment to each other, and you work with it. Man and wife (or SO), compliment each other in every way. There are lots of grants or venues for re-education these days. Send her back to school for something she will like IMO.......while you work hard to support the both of you as long as she knows things could get rough for a time. Both of you need to communicate more than you have been IMO. There are only three things any (serious) couple should never argue about.....love, sex, and money. A true couple supports one another, and they are willing to accept and live with their decisions. Total communication is key.
    Life IS way too short to be unhappy. If you're truly unhappy, then change everything immediately. Only you know what's best under the circumstances. I'm sending you and the both of you my best wishes.

VIP Member
    I am wise enough to have advice, and old enough to know better than to give it.

Follow QK's advice. I'm afeared of this darn economy and what the next 5 or ten years could look like. Not pretty and a bunch of folks are getting hurt real bad. Now the good news.......you're in good shape so far....tighten up, live on one salary, and pour all excess cash in guns, ammo, gold, silver and Zombie Insurance.

give him 25 different answers...he still won't know exactly what to do
    Yep, but'tn he outta follow yours.

Just read the other posts. You smart fella and follow good advice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links