I need some advice from people older/wizer than me - Page 3

I need some advice from people older/wizer than me

This is a discussion on I need some advice from people older/wizer than me within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There is a time and place for everything, unless you have a really good cash reserve built up .. in case... the answer is NO... ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I need some advice from people older/wizer than me

There is a time and place for everything, unless you have a really good cash reserve built up .. in case... the answer is NO... wait it out for now.

Watch the next 6 mo's, and you'll know. Watch the 'market' and direction the economy is going 'after' the elections..... it may get much worse before it gets better.

Build up some cash reserves and "watch" for now, is my .02 cents.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I am wise enough to have advice, and old enough to know better than to give it.
    Spoken like a true wise man! I learned to play golf with a guy like that....never a suggestion for the first year....then just 1 every so often. Less was truly more.

So her job is so horrible that they have to pay her to do it. Big deal. Either learn to live on less money or have her find another job (unlikely) or start her own business (not easy or cheap to do).
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Unfortunately it may take a few years to dig ourselves out of the abyss that Obama has cast us all into. I also live in NC (Raleigh area) and we here in NC are generally in much better shape as a whole as far as the economy than most states and areas of the country. Of course it all really depends on your own personal situation and state of affairs. Being young you have more time to ride out any rough periods and rebound, so keep that in mind as you make any decisions. I think for all of us it’s a time to look very closely and carefully at our finances and situation and maybe cut back on some things we have become accustomed too, and thats difficult for many of us because we are use to having what we want when we want it. I do think this nation may be taking a step back as far as quality of life and prosperity, so we all may have to understand and live with that for a while.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I try to follow what I call the "wingwalker principle". It is that wingwalkers never let go of what they have a hold of until they have a firm grasp on something else. A job is not something you have to love, enjoy, or like even a little bit. I was a mid-level manager and violated my favorite principle and the cost was horrendous, wife almost died, 2 year old freaked out, lost almost everything.

We started over moving to a city where I was promised a job but the job was eliminated when I arrived due to the recession of the mid-70's. I walked the neighborhood talking neighbors into paint jobs on the house trim, fence repairs, etc. Finally I ran dry of that and went to another town to work in the oil fields leaving my recovering wife and little child. That was the nastiest, hardest job I ever had - but it was a job and I appreciated having it - though not what I did. Every paycheck was a blessing and each month extended our living in a house another month. After 3 months of that one of my resumes hit and I went home to be an engineer again. It was temporary but long enough that the company that promised me a job finally came through and I worked there for over 24 years.

We recovered, but the problem began when I left the first job for a better opportunity all hot stuff and thinking I could handle anything, so I didn't do my homework. My advice is very simple, do not quit any job until you are hired in a better one. In this economy - which is still getting worse - a job in the hand is worth flocks in the air. Believe me, it is entirely possible for either of you to be without a job some day when you show up for work. If your wife quits and you get laid off, you'll live through hard times.

i don't think i know anybody that has a dream job that pays well. we don't hate our jobs, but we do them to make other dreams come true. good luck.

Suck it up, and stash the cash.
    Working for a living is not all it's cracked up to be anyway...the grass is always greener fits in here quite well.
    With out a lot of debt, you are in good shape, but planning ahead in this economy is difficult.
    We may all find ourselves in deep Kim Chee here real soon...have her tough it out for a while.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    That's what I thought this morning but I actually have an answer. She is going to keep the job, we are going to live on my check and bank hers. She is going to start planning her dream out further.

I thank all of you who have given advise, it has all helped in making this decision.
    Good luck and fortune to you both!
    Hang in there and hang with each other.
    Enough CAN'T be said about being a positive 'cheerleader' for your wife and being there for each other and support as she follows her dreams. Just knowing that her spouse is behind her 100% through the hard times as well as the prosperous times is PRICELESS! It should strenghten your marriage and the lines of communication.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I am 67 years old and on wife number 3. I don't know if that qualifies me as wise or an expert but if I was you, I'd remember the words of a famous "Hillbilly" sage whose name escapes me,"If mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links