Dog question

Dog question

This is a discussion on Dog question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This doesn't really have anything to do with carrying so I thought I would post it here. I was out running with my husky today ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog question

Dog question

This doesn't really have anything to do with carrying so I thought I would post it here.
    I was out running with my husky today (he kicked my butt), and we run on a street surrounded by open fields and the occasional house. On the way back to my neighborhood one of my neighbors had his dog off leash in one of the fields (not his property). As me and nickel are running past his dog comes charging my dog teeth out and growling. I was running so I was not carrying and I still haven't bought pepperspray, I know I need to. His dog came up and the two dogs growled and squared off, the neighbor started yelling at his dog and I kept the leash tight on my dog. But here's the question I have, I didn't want to yank my dog out of there or get too mad at him because he wasn't the aggressor, I don't want him to think that its bad to defend himself. Once the other dog knew that my dog was not standing down he listened to his owner and went back into the field.
    I wouldn't let my dog sit there and have a fight to the death while I have him on leash, but like I said when he is the one being attacked I don't want him to think its bad to defend himself. Plus I think that if we had just kept running, which is harder than it sounds because when my dog is intent on something I basically have to pick him up and carry him away from it, but that may have made the other dog just want to chase us and who knows where it would've gone from there. Luckily this time nothing bad happened and I know I need to get some good pepper spray for these 4 legged encounters but I'm not sure if I handled it right. How do I draw the line between letting my dog know he can defend himself and not making it look like I'm trying to let my dog fight because that is not my intention at all.
    As you can tell I'm having a hard time getting what in my brain onto the screen so I will stop rambling now but I hope you get what I'm trying to ask.
    Input?........

It all boils down to training. Like a lot of things. You make your dog mind you at home, and he will mind you anytime you are anywhere with him. You're the boss and he needs to know that. Simple commands......key words (simple words)....sit....come...stay....out...and NO. No matter how excited he gets, he'll know your voice and intention no matter where you are with him, and he will obey. Be the boss and your dog will mind you no matter what, and no matter where you are with him. Your demeanor means a lot when asserting yourself as the dominant male. Mean what you say in voice commands. If you haven't done this already, or your dog is older than a puppy (2yr at most), then you'll be fighting an uphill battle. Nothing's impossible though. It will just take more time and effort. Best of luck to you and your best friend. Dogs are the best IMO.

Yep... to what Ram Rod said. I've had 2 dogs trained for personal protection by the KCPD K-9 unit. Well trained dogs are taught when to be "aggressive" (w/ a command) without attacking until the command is given to "let er' rip". Given the dog isn't trained properly for this situation,

#1. Keep yourself out of a dog fight! NEVER get between the two dogs.
    #2. Make your dog stand down thru verbal commands unless he's actually attacked. (a choker chain works well)
    #3. Praise your dog intensely IF he minds your commands and put him thru the paces until he does.
    #4. Remember, it's on YOU how that situation goes down, not the dog.

Good luck to you and the dog.... I'm sure you'll both do fine.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

VIP Member
    Had a similar experience while out walking with a Dalmatian. The Dalmatian was utterly fearless and had an air of superiority about her but wasn't an aggressive dog, just one who stood her ground and ignored other aggressive dogs.

One time a somewhat larger dog, I can't recall the breed just at the moment, charged at us showing teeth and growling. I was afraid the other dog would force mine to fight. I quickly made a whip out of my dog's leash and smacked the charging dog hard across the nose. It stopped dead in its tracks, gave me a surprised look, and went whimpering off from whence it came.

I've no idea what would have happened next if it hadn't retreated. I'd likely have grabbed it by the neck and thrown it over a fence and into a small brook. Sorry if that sounds brutal or perhaps foolish. I wasn't about to stand there idly while my dog was attacked.

He listens to me for the most part lol, huskies are stubborn but without any formal training I think I've done pretty good. I have shock collars, I hate calling them that because they sound evil but they don't hurt him and they work. I had no intentions of putting myself between them, I have been bitten before and its not an experience I would care to repeat. Both my dogs know that I am the pack leader, we play around a lot of course but when I tell them to do something they listen.
    The main question still stands though, how far do you let it go to let your dog defend himself? I'm worried that if I yank him away with the leash or "zap" him then he will think he did something wrong when he didn't, and I'm also worried that even if we try to leave from the fight the other dog will just chase since it is not on a leash.
    My dogs are both going to be 2yrs in november so I can still train them on a few things, I just don't know how to train them for that situation. I like what 1911pkr said about the separate aggressive and attack commands but that is definitely training above my abilities and I don't have a lot of money for formal training. If people would obey leash laws then this wouldn't even be an issue but we all know that won't happen. I'm kind of thinking that one option would be to carry some OC spray, that way I could defend my dog and get him out of the situation without him thinking that defending himself is bad. I don't know.....maybe I'm overthinking the whole thing.

hopyard: you must have written your response while I was typing mine lol. The whip idea was some quick thinking, I never would have thought about that. I don't think I could've picked up and thrown this dog, he is a little bigger than my husky, but if it came down to it I probably would've kicked or punched him in the head and tried not to get myself bit in the process.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH Why can't people just obey leash laws??!! sorry just had to vent.

Distinguished Member
    I think that you did the right thing, by stopping and standing your ground. Dogs have a prey drive, if you would have keep running your dog might have been rolled. I see nothing wrong if your dog defends you or his self. A loud whistle works good on breaking a dog attention, and a little ammonia in a squirt gun, to the dogs eyes works pretty good to, if your dog is getting the worst end of it.

When my dog was younger I never ever let another dog get close enough to attack her. I would tell her to sit and meet them first with a big voice and I had to kick a couple of small dogs and one VERY large white dog, but I never got bitten. Most dogs are all bluff, and you sticking up to them will change their mind pretty quick----- although you could get a truly agressive one that would bite anyway, the closest I ever came to getting bitten I didn't even have my dog with me and the offending dog was about 5" tall The very large white dog seemed to decide I was worth respecting, he ceased messing with us and calmly walked along beside me for a few blocks before wandering off.

She is 3 years old now, and has some social dog on dog experience and some confidence under her belt (er, her collar) last time we walked two dogs came up barking and I let her at them (I dropped her leash). I did not feel that they were truly agressive, and they weren't, they backed up and went home. I know she's not going to start a fight unless absolutely necessary, and she speaks "dog" better than I do. All she did was move towards them and they backed down. A year ago I never would have let her try to handle things on her own, she just didn't have the confidence.
    Knowing what your dog is capable of and mentally prepared for is what you need to know to answer your question "how far do you let it go to let your dog defend himself?" and it depends a whole lot on each individual situation and how serious the other dog is. Carrying something to defend yourself is definitely a good idea, especially if you think you could encounter a seriously vicious dog who wants to do more than bark.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Many commands are in German or another language, so that someone else can't accidentally say them. OF course, in the USA, I wouldn't use Spanish words either. LOL.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Don't get so caught up in the whole "2 years" thing - it varies individually from dog to dog what that timeline really is and, more importantly, it's more about teaching a dog to learn and be obediant before the two years is up. My hunting dog is 7 now and is perfectly trainable still because we have been "in training" since she was 7 weeks old.

To the question, there are so many variables it's hard to answer, since my response to the situation would change on a case by case basis. However, dogs are strong, especially when they get angry and threatened, and it's likely that I wouldn't be able to hold onto the leash if another dog came up and started a fight before I could stop the fight from starting...

" I'm worried that if I yank him away with the leash or "zap" him then he will think he did something wrong when he didn't,"

I use a shock collar on my Shepherd/Husky mix. Zap him only after you issue a command that he does not obey.... ie "no" "leave it" "this way" ... then issue the command again. Don't look at the collar as punishment, rather use it only to break his focus on something else, thus allowing him to listen to you.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

The better trained your dog becomes the more it will focus on you. test dogs with distractions (such as a charging dog).
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Dogs

I had a confrontation like this years ago. I was walking my dog with the leash on. Stopped to visit some friends, talking on the sidewalk when all of a sudden a very large Great Dane comes running across the street to attack my dog. After the first hit I had let go of the leash and let them have at it. By the time the other dogs owner came running from the yard, my dog literally had him pinned in the street, standing over him growling. My dog never bit the other dog but just used sheer force to take the other dog down. The owner comes running and yelling for me to get my f-in dog off of his dog so I just yelled back to kep his f-in dog on a leash. By the way, my dog was part sheppard, part great dane and part wolf. He scared most people just by looking at them. Never did attack anyone as no one was STUPID enough to try anything. Even friends that trained and worked with the canine patrol in the military were afraid of him. Just brought up some old memories.

Quote Originally Posted by tqu9047 View Post
    I had a confrontation like this years ago. I was walking my dog with the leash on. Stopped to visit some friends, talking on the sidewalk when all of a sudden a very large Great Dane comes running across the street to attack my dog. After the first hit I had let go of the leash and let them have at it. By the time the other dogs owner came running from the yard, my dog literally had him pinned in the street, standing over him growling. My dog never bit the other dog but just used sheer force to take the other dog down. The owner comes running and yelling for me to get my f-in dog off of his dog so I just yelled back to kep his f-in dog on a leash. By the way, my dog was part sheppard, part great dane and part wolf. He scared most people just by looking at them. Never did attack anyone as no one was STUPID enough to try anything. Even friends that trained and worked with the canine patrol in the military were afraid of him. Just brought up some old memories.
    Sounds like an awesome dog. I hate how the irresponsible owner is always the one that comes out yelling and screaming.
    This isn't my first encounter with this type of stuff but this is the first one with a dog of equal size to my husky. I feel bad for the other dogs, they are just doing what comes instinctively and their owners should be there to prevent it.

Typical dog behavior. Bark, growl, sniff, usually followed by peeing on everything handy. It may look and sound pretty bad to people, but is no big deal in the dog world.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I understand your dilemma your dogs job is to obey and protect but you have a responsibility not to hinder your dog from doing his job and protecting him at the same time. I always carry OC spray when walking my dogs if a dog gets close enough that I feel it is a threat to my dog it gets sprayed. If a person had been running at me in the same scenario the dog would have been turned loose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links